Idea for comment: Obtaining another front line right handed SP

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Webb's been put back on the shelf and there's speculation he may not even pitch again this year at all. But here's something I found interesting in the AZ Republic and something to consider:

Before the game, Byrnes was asked about the likelihood of deals occurring before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

"It's the middle of June, and we're 10 games under .500, so there's a reality to that as far as the types of discussions we have had and will have with other clubs," he said.

The Diamondbacks seem incapable of stringing together a prolonged hot streak, something they haven't done since finishing April 2008 with a 20-8 record.

"There are points in games when you need to get a big hit, need to snuff their rally, need to make a play," Byrnes said. "It's the state of the game. A lot of teams are pretty close. We win need to win some of those series, some of those games, and going back to last May we haven't done it well."

Impending free agents such as left-hander Doug Davis, second baseman Felipe Lopez and infielder Chad Tracy could be trade candidates, as well as right-hander Jon Garland, who has an mutual option for next season, and reliever Jon Rauch, who is signed through 2010.

Then we could trade for El Duque and send him and Garland to AAA and have 3/5(if freddy can get there) 05 starters going for Charlotte?

Edited by ChiSox420*

Webb's been put back on the shelf and there's speculation he may not even pitch again this year at all. But here's something I found interesting in the AZ Republic and something to consider:

Yup, this link is from the offical DBack MLB site and pretty much sums it up. Webb is now back in Arizona and will get an MRI and possibly a second opinion on shoulder surgery. He may as noted be pretty much done for this year. That voids the possiblity of KW exploring a trade for him. Oh well good starting pitching this year is really hard to come by via trade or even free agency after the season. Most of the type A/B starters all have ailments and even Halliday has been put on the DL. Harden has really blown lately so that takes the gas out of the other option I mentioned. Wish Arizona would fall so far down they would consider parting with Haren but that ain´t gonna happen. We will just have to see how the team records develop and how the buyer/seller markets shapes as a consequence.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/a...sp&c_id=ari

Yeah I've not at all suprised about that news on Webb. That's the reason why the D-Backs didn't lock him up long - term during the off-season.

Jon Rauch would be an interesting trade option, but he's blown his bridges here.

An interesting buy low candidate would be Stephen Drew as he's having a down year, but Alexei would have to go back to 2B in that scenario.

I've always loved Chad Tracy for his versatility (1B/3B/OF), but his numbers have really decreased and he has a whopping .409 OPS away from Chase Field this season, albeit a small sample size of 44 AB's.

Tony Pena's a guy I would possibly look at if you were targeting another RH reliever also.

Just saw where Josh Beckett is dominating again and got excited cuz I thought he was a FA this year, nope after 2010. Wonder if he is not traded by next year´s deadline if he will be pursued by KW? He will only be 31 in the 2011 and may have a good 3-4 years left. He would be another good candidate to anchor the rotation but we should have some of the right handed guns coming up after next year.

Frankly, I would try to make a move for a key bat down the stretch, whether or not Quentin can return. The guy who would have been perfect was Nate McLouth. That's what the Sox need to be competitive.

As dumb as this sounds, Pods has been pretty good. Darn good actually.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
As dumb as this sounds, Pods has been pretty good. Darn good actually.

If tomorrow was the division clinching game and we had runners on 2nd and 3rd and were down by 1 in the bottom of the 9th with two outs, and I could pick anyone on the team to bat, it'd be Pods right now. I'd say he's been our best hitter this year, and that's quite sad.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
If tomorrow was the division clinching game and we had runners on 2nd and 3rd and were down by 1 in the bottom of the 9th with two outs, and I could pick anyone on the team to bat, it'd be Pods right now. I'd say he's been our best hitter this year, and that's quite sad.

I agree with all this. I've dogged on Pods since 2007 saying he wasn't anything close to a Major League starter anymore, but to his credit the guy has shown up. He looks to be a better hitter than he's ever been.

I guess that's why it's a strange game. Who would have predicted Ludwick and Cust having break-outs when they did? Who would have predicted Scotty hitting the way he has been? And damn, who would have predicted what Russell Branyan has been doing in Seattle? Russell Branyan could literally win the AL MVP this year. Who in the hell would have ever even come close to guessing that?

Edit: Of course for Branyan to take the MVP Mauer needs to seriously cool off. His numbers are beyond gaudy.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Well Branyan is the perfect sort of hitter for Safeco Field. And Branyan's always had the ability to take a walk. And he put up some pretty good numbers for the Brewers last season.

He'll cool off, but I think he'll still end up with an OPS above .850 when it's all said done.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 06:54 AM)
FWIW, Webb maybe done for the year.

yep. really wouldn't make much sense to go after him. I would however make a strong push at Haren. Arizona seems to be in seller mode, nows the time to make that call.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 07:40 AM)
yep. really wouldn't make much sense to go after him. I would however make a strong push at Haren. Arizona seems to be in seller mode, nows the time to make that call.

If we were to get Haren, we'd be seriously dangerous. Would Poreda, Allen plus either Dex or Huddy get it done?

I threw up aHaren package thread on another forum to Backs fans and most said what the majority here commented on which is he is untouchable. For those who did reply positively they said any package would have to include Beckham and at least 2 MLB ready pitchers. So to sum up they want a ransom for Haren which I think we would be unwilling to pay.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)
I threw up aHaren package thread on another forum to Backs fans and most said what the majority here commented on which is he is untouchable. For those who did reply positively they said any package would have to include Beckham and at least 2 MLB ready pitchers. So to sum up they want a ransom for Haren which I think we would be unwilling to pay.

Sounds about right to me. Dan Haren is one of the 10 best pitchers (borderline top 5) in baseball. He's right smack in his prime and signed to a more than reasonable contract through 2012 (2013 club option). It should take a ransom to get him.

Jord you hit the nail on the head that some posters will overlook, which is how much cost apart from talent are we talking about taking on in terms of contract money? Haren is just as good or better than Peavy (Although he did not win the CY Young award yet) but Peavy had the huge benefit of pitching in the cavernous Petco Park. Plus his (Peavy's) contract is very bloated in the last year and he would demand that any team he goes to (rumored) pick it up while Haren's is very very affordable for the talent you get game in and game out. Plus Haren has pitched with results in the AL while Peavy has not and the jury is out as to whether he is willing to. All great points.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)

The thing is, we all over value our favorite team's players. Of course AZ fans won't be willing to trade away their ACE. I'm sure if Josh Byrnes recieves an offer that is hard to refuse, he would most likely look into it. It will likely cost us Poreda, Richards and Flowers + more.

With this deal, the Sox would have the top 4 pitchers in their rotation locked up until 2012. A Buerhle, Haren, Danks, Floyd, 5th starter? This would give the Sox the best rotation in the AL Central for 3+ years.

Just saw also that Wily Mo Pena got released from the Mets AAA team.

Not that I'm saying we should sign him, but if CQ doesn't come back, maybe the Sox will consider it for insurance purposes if they can't swing a trade for a replacement OF.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Just saw also that Wily Mo Pena got released from the Mets AAA team.

Not that I'm saying we should sign him, but if CQ doesn't come back, maybe the Sox will consider it for insurance purposes if they can't swing a trade for a replacement OF.

Even if CQ comes back (which i doubt), the Sox should still look into improving the OF situation.

Quick note on the Dan Haren bounty Oakland got. Only 1 player from the package of 6 is in the bigs and that is Brett Anderson and he is 3-7 with a 5.74 ERA. Two others were shipped to Colorado in the Holliday trade late last year. Just goes to show you it can also be seller beware as it looks like Arizona got the better part of this deal with Haren. The majority of prospects in trades don't pan out.

• 2 weeks later...