When is the last time Sox had losing record vs. KC?

caulfield12

By my count, we're now 5-7 against them this season, with 6 more to go at USCF.

I would be pretty shocked if they had won the head-to-head season match-up with us more than once or twice since the late 80's.

Hopefully we'll got 4-2 or 5-1 to finish out the season against them, but it's hard to imagine sweeping the remaining six at home with the inconsistency this team has had for most of the season.

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah, 6-6...I double-checked it.

STILL...not so good, but the Royals actually looked like a legit contender the first two months of the season.

And, it seems like we've faced Greinke every time (4 or 5 starts) and Gil Meche almost every time we've faced them.

Pretty surprising our 99 win team in 2000 had a losing record against them, but that was b4 the 18 game overweighted against the division schedule started.

That was a team led by dos Carlos (Febles/Beltran), Jermaine Dye, Johnny Damon, Sweeney and Randa?

Or were Dye/Damon already gone at that point?

Of course, the starting pitching and the drafts of the Royals from the mid 80's until today...especially first round...talk about Nightmare on the Country Club Plaza.

The Royals did have the likes of serviceble starters like Suppan and Miguel Batista blow through town, but this is the most starting depth ever...

Any rumors about Teahen, Meche or Guillen (and I would imagine patience is growing thin with Jacobs, too) being traded in June/July. Heard Braves were interested in Guillen, maybe that trade would be for Francouer and a quality prospect, with the Royals dumping a big salary at just a 700 OPS and questionable clubhouse leader for the future of the franchise.

Gordon's career has been a disaster so far...a lot (pertty much the entire future) depends on Hochevar, Crow, Daniel Cortes, Moustakas and Hosmer.

They should trade DeJesus when his value is up a bit...and have to build around Greinke and Soria. Aviles might be out of the picture, Callaspo hopefully will have more of a long-term impact than Esteban German.

That's the Royals in a nutshell...players like DeJesus, Berroa and Febles looking like stars (and Jose Rosado, too), then disappearing almost...although David D. has been at least an average or above average player his entire career, not so much in 2009.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
Show me any team that is still competing after losing their starting 3rd baseman, shortstop, centerfielder, and closer.

Anyways, interesting on your '00 team and their record against the Royals, but that 2000 Royals team scored a ton of runs...

Last year we made it to playoffs without Crede, Contreras, Quentin and Linebrink (all injured for major portions of the season).

And we had DeWayne Wise starting over Nick Swisher, with Uribe at 3B for Crede...pretty patchwork line-up. But you're right, losing Gordon, Crisp and Aviles has severely impacted the offense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
That was a team led by dos Carlos (Febles/Beltran), Jermaine Dye, Johnny Damon, Sweeney and Randa?

The Royals did have the likes of serviceble starters like Suppan and Miguel Batista blow through town, but this is the most starting depth ever...

Any rumors about Teahen, Meche or Guillen (and I would imagine patience is growing thin with Jacobs, too) being traded in June/July. Heard Braves were interested in Guillen, maybe that trade would be for Francouer and a quality prospect, with the Royals dumping a big salary at just a 700 OPS and questionable clubhouse leader for the future of the franchise.

That's the Royals in a nutshell...players like DeJesus, Berroa and Febles looking like stars (and Jose Rosado, too), then disappearing almost...although David D. has been at least an average or above average player his entire career, not so much in 2009.

Mike Sweeney: .333, 30 doubles, 29 homers, 144 RBI

Johnny Damon: .327, 42 doubles, 16 homers, 88 RBI, 46 stolen bases

Jermaine Dye: .321, 41 doubles, 33 homers, 118 RBI

Joe Randa: .304, 29 doubles, 15 homers, 106 RBI

Mark Quinn: .294, 33 doubles, 20 homers, 78 RBI

Carlos Beltran hadn't hit the scene yet, although he did contribute some. DeJesus hadn't made his debut yet.

That team scored 879 runs, but gave up 930. The pitching staff had one guy with an ERA under 4.00, just one: Jose Santiago (3.91). Suppan was the only pitcher with 10 or more wins, and he was 10-9 with a 4.94 ERA. The entire bullpen combined for 29 saves. Miguel Batista only started 9 games, only pitched in 14, had a 7.74 ERA.

The 2000 Royals went 77-85.

Teahen is the only one I can see being dealt, but with Crisp out and Gordon coming back, I would not be surprised to see him stay and be moved to left, DeJesus back to center.

I'd take Francoeur for Guillen and however much cash the Braves want.

Edited by High Mileage

I'm not a huge believer in teams being emotionally not into it, but our team certainly seemed zombie like in Games 3 and 4. The Royals radio announcer today said Sox looked like a team ready to get on the plane home about halfway through that sleepwalking performance.

It might have been a good day to plunk a Royal early like they have done to our hitters many times this year, just to rile things up a bit.

We just heard Konerko saying we had to feast on teams in our own division and then KC beats us two in a row. Not a good way to compete for that division crown by losing two straight to a team with one of the three worse records in the league. But we are still only 2.5 games out of the lead

Edited by elrockinMT