Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

As I've said, goaltending can often be about confidence and repetition. Quenneville needs to stick with Niemi except for back-to-backs. Whenever either of our goaltenders last year (Huet or Khabibulin) got consistent time they were better.

The rotating goaltender is the only thing I don't like about Q's coaching. You find your horse, you stick with him, and after last night the Hawks have found their horse, and I"d be surprised to see Niemi sit for more than 2-3 games the rest of the way.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game last night real good defense. Buff is looking like a D man.

Niemi was great his only flaw to me is that he seems to be laying face first flat on the ice a lot . He also has a really bad receding hair line.

I like Sarah Kostok but the interview at he end of the game was painful. English as a second language does not make for a real good on ice after the game interview.

Watching the game and thinking 4-4-2 since the olympic break made me wonder how bad are the Hawks actually playing and here is what I came up with off the top of my head;

The two ties were the result of a blown 3 goal lead (Washington) and 2 blown two goal leads against Phoenix.

The four losses include the blown Detroit game, the blown Philly game the missed call against Anaheim and the Isles game right after the Olympics.

Overall, the Hawks easily could have been 9-1 since the break they are not but I think they are doing just fine.....at least compared to the Sharks they are.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
How about Buff! Nice to have a physical D man to go with Seabs.

But again, why the f*** do we want the #1 seed, I want nothing to do with Detroit in the first round.

It also means we don't have to potentially go through both Phoenix and San Jose to get to the finals.

I wouldn't be so quick to give Detroit the #8 seed either. They are only 2 pts back of Colorado, 4 pts back of Nashville with 2 more games to play & 2 head-to-head. Their upcoming schedule isnt too tough and they have been playing well, they could easily move up to the 6 or 7 spot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
But again, why the f*** do we want the #1 seed, I want nothing to do with Detroit in the first round.

I'd bet on Detroit not being the 8 seed when this is done. Hell yes we want the 1-seed. No San Jose or Vancouver, and we'll likely miss the Red Wings, too.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
Great game last night real good defense. Buff is looking like a D man.

Niemi was great his only flaw to me is that he seems to be laying face first flat on the ice a lot . He also has a really bad receding hair line.

I like Sarah Kostok but the interview at he end of the game was painful. English as a second language does not make for a real good on ice after the game interview.

Watching the game and thinking 4-4-2 since the olympic break made me wonder how bad are the Hawks actually playing and here is what I came up with off the top of my head;

The two ties were the result of a blown 3 goal lead (Washington) and 2 blown two goal leads against Phoenix.

The four losses include the blown Detroit game, the blown Philly game the missed call against Anaheim and the Isles game right after the Olympics.

Overall, the Hawks easily could have been 9-1 since the break they are not but I think they are doing just fine.....at least compared to the Sharks they are.

He was lookin like Phil McCracken from Kingpin.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
As I've said, goaltending can often be about confidence and repetition. Quenneville needs to stick with Niemi except for back-to-backs. Whenever either of our goaltenders last year (Huet or Khabibulin) got consistent time they were better.

The rotating goaltender is the only thing I don't like about Q's coaching. You find your horse, you stick with him, and after last night the Hawks have found their horse, and I"d be surprised to see Niemi sit for more than 2-3 games the rest of the way.

And Huet has already been named the goalie tommorrow night in Columbus....

I agree with you, especially after how well Niemi played last night, he should be in there again

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
I wouldn't be so quick to give Detroit the #8 seed either. They are only 2 pts back of Colorado, 4 pts back of Nashville with 2 more games to play & 2 head-to-head. Their upcoming schedule isnt too tough and they have been playing well, they could easily move up to the 6 or 7 spot.

Yea Colorado is really, really struggling. (much like SJ) I'd bet money that is the team that finishes in 8th and the Wings 6th or 7th. (Though Nashville hasn't been exactly hot either so they might finish very low as well)

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
He was lookin like Phil McCracken from Kingpin.

He does have pretty poor balance when he goes down. He is either right on his face or on his back. He needs to stand tall when he goes into butterfly.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Yea Colorado is really, really struggling. (much like SJ) I'd bet money that is the team that finishes in 8th and the Wings 6th or 7th. (Though Nashville hasn't been exactly hot either so they might finish very low as well)

Ideally the Coyotes or the Sharks and Red Wings end up opposite of each other in second and seventh to get rid of at least one of those teams early. The lower of Ph and SJ will be in the fourth seed, so would be the Hawks second round match up in all likelihood. The worst possible thing would be to get Detroit in the first round and then Phoenix and San Jose back to back before getting Pittsburgh or Washington in the finals if they can survive.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Ideally the Coyotes or the Sharks and Red Wings end up opposite of each other in second and seventh to get rid of at least one of those teams early. The lower of Ph and SJ will be in the fourth seed, so would be the Hawks second round match up in all likelihood. The worst possible thing would be to get Detroit in the first round and then Phoenix and San Jose back to back before getting Pittsburgh or Washington in the finals if they can survive.

True, but I think as long as the Hawks get home ice, I think they will get to the Stanley Cup where hopefully somebody has knocked out Washington. When the team needs to play well and they have a home game, you see great performances like yesterday. Now, I don't have too much confidence if we have to play San Jose and they have home ice in the Conference Finals.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Is it realistic to think the Hawks will put Huet in Rockford next season (assuming no one claims him on waivers, which I am sure no one will) and eat his contract?

They almost have to. Either that or find another bad contract to dump him for and get a real #1 goalie.

QUOTE (Real @ Mar 25, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
The hawks are one of the worst defensive teams I've seen in a while. Huet blows, but they're absolute trash defensively. Kane is probably the worst, but he'll get a pass of course

by no means is kane going to win a selke, but the bolded statements above are just ridiculous....yes the D has struggled lately especially after injuries, but the hawks have had a top 2 or 3 defensive unit all year, if not the best...Keith has a legit chance to win the Norris, and he and Seabrook are probably the top pairing in the league

yes they had an awful awulf game tonight...but your statements are just wrong