Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2009 -> 11:34 PM)
:wub:

What a huge signing.

I think I said this earlier in the thread but, John Madden is easily the 'hawks MVP this year. Not because of goals or assists or defense or face-offs or hits or hustle, but because of ALL of those things. He goes out, plays hard, and is a winner. Love him and I hope they extend him 'til he doesn't want to play anymore. (or they can't afford him, whichever comes first :ph34r: )

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
I think I said this earlier in the thread but, John Madden is easily the 'hawks MVP this year. Not because of goals or assists or defense or face-offs or hits or hustle, but because of ALL of those things. He goes out, plays hard, and is a winner. Love him and I hope they extend him 'til he doesn't want to play anymore. (or they can't afford him, whichever comes first :ph34r: )

Whoa whoa whoa there guy, I like Madden as much as the next guy, but we have a team full of stars including the plus/minus leader and probably the best D man in the league. Madden is a really really good role player, but he's no MVP.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)

Hockey is one of those sports where stats absolutely lie. Pat and Eddie did a great job of explaining that with Troy Brouwer during yesterdays game. His big ass has generated three goals during the last two games. Do you know what he had to show for it on the stat sheet? Nothing. No goals. No assists. But without him, they don't happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
Hockey is one of those sports where stats absolutely lie. Pat and Eddie did a great job of explaining that with Troy Brouwer during yesterdays game. His big ass has generated three goals during the last two games. Do you know what he had to show for it on the stat sheet? Nothing. No goals. No assists. But without him, they don't happen.

Ladd and Brouwer are complete experts at this. Ladd has been a maniac this season, but with no real point explosion.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Ladd and Brouwer are complete experts at this. Ladd has been a maniac this season, but with no real point explosion.

It is hard to explain but Brouwer is a menace in front of the net, while Big Byf isn't nearly as effective. For whatever reason, Brouwer just must have a better understanding of shooting lanes and obstructing the goalies plane of vision.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Whoa whoa whoa there guy, I like Madden as much as the next guy, but we have a team full of stars including the plus/minus leader and probably the best D man in the league. Madden is a really really good role player, but he's no MVP.

He is most definitely the MVP of the first half of this season. He does all the little things PLUS, he has 7 goals. I didn't think he would get much more ALL YEAR. He wins faceoffs and has taught the other young centers how to win more often. He's the "guy who knows how to win" that young teams need to get over the hump. I'm not saying he should be getting millions of dollars, I just hope they can sign him for a couple more cheaply. If not, they can't, but I'd personally like to see it.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
It is hard to explain but Brouwer is a menace in front of the net, while Big Byf isn't nearly as effective. For whatever reason, Brouwer just must have a better understanding of shooting lanes and obstructing the goalies plane of vision.

It is totally 100% mental. Buff doesn't strike me as the sharpest tack in the box.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
He is most definitely the MVP of the first half of this season. He does all the little things PLUS, he has 7 goals. I didn't think he would get much more ALL YEAR. He wins faceoffs and has taught the other young centers how to win more often. He's the "guy who knows how to win" that young teams need to get over the hump. I'm not saying he should be getting millions of dollars, I just hope they can sign him for a couple more cheaply. If not, they can't, but I'd personally like to see it.

I disagree, you are hanging alot of credit on "teaching" and "little things". We have superstars that do these little things, and you dont notice it because they are awesome. Toews wins face offs, backchecks like a motherf***er and captains the team. Oh and he is +18 (third in NHL) and third on the team in points. Most valuable player should be the player that is most valuable to the team, and I dont have Madden( though I love him on this team) even in the top three. We have a dman sitting #2 on the team, #3 in the NHL in points and last I checked leading the NHL in ice time. Now THATS valuable and doing all the big and little things on the ice.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)

Precisely.

Pierzynski's intangibles catapulted him to team-MVP status for at least a couple of seasons with the White Sox, I think John Madden has a similar effect, albeit with a totally different set of intangibles.

With both Madden and AJ, each brought a toolbox full of stuff that was lacking in the rest of the team. With AJ, it was competitive fire. It didn't hurt him that he had a little pop in the bat and could call a stellar game. Madden's the vet with a Stanley Cup ring on a very young team is good for the kill and face-offs—Sami Pahlsson's role last year.

They've had to overpay for free agents like their goaltenders, Campbell, and Hossa, but winning builds equity. A lot of guys will take a pay cut if it means a shot at the Cup.

Campbell and Sopel are quitely earning their money as well.

It is a testament to the Hawks that the Swedish Hammer and Versteeg were out this weekend and they did not miss them.

This team is also missing two centers (Burish and Bolland) that nobody is talking about. I understand the Red Wings are missing more but the Hawks will only get better when these guys get back and as Hossa gets more comfortable.

Sopel is underperforming. I was at the Sunday night game and think I saw him in position maybe twice. If he isn't performing up to his cap number I think you won't see him around much longer.

I like Soupy, but he has a tendency to showboat a little too much. He also seems to get out of position and has to rely on his speed to get him back in the play, which doesn't always work. But he has been producing of late.

The only thing that gives me pause about this team is the goaltending situation.

Niemi is good but is also very lucky. Luck has a way of running out fast in the playoffs against hot teams with solid offenses.

And Huet, well—he just sucks. You can't look at numbers and say he's having a good year because it's not that easy. Numbers only tell part of the story.

What I mean by that is the book on Cristobal Huet has been published in every language spoken in the NHL and is on newsstands and bestseller list now—he goes down, gives up the top shelf and his glove isn't good enough to make up the difference. He's been in the league a long time and would have figured it out by now if he was going to. He is a very expensive career backup playing in a no. 1 spot.

Think about this—if he doesn't have Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook in front of him for 30 minutes a game, he faces twice as many shots and the Hawks are in fourth place instead of atop the West.

I want Niemi starting until we can find a legitimate no. 1, or maybe he gets that spot after the end of this season. Huet I want gone but he is on a foolishly expensive and long contract.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
Campbell and Sopel are quitely earning their money as well.

It is a testament to the Hawks that the Swedish Hammer and Versteeg were out this weekend and they did not miss them.

This team is also missing two centers (Burish and Bolland) that nobody is talking about. I understand the Red Wings are missing more but the Hawks will only get better when these guys get back and as Hossa gets more comfortable.

I wouldn't go so far to say Soup is earning his money, but he is making the signing not as bad as it could have been. He's got a great plus-minus and is getting his points, but he is being paid like a top-5 defenseman and he clearly isn't that. But I understand your point, he is playing a hell of a lot better. Bolland is a huge loss IMO, terrific two-way center who was only getting better.

QUOTE (Drew @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
The only thing that gives me pause about this team is the goaltending situation.

Niemi is good but is also very lucky. Luck has a way of running out fast in the playoffs against hot teams with solid offenses.

And Huet, well—he just sucks. You can't look at numbers and say he's having a good year because it's not that easy. Numbers only tell part of the story.

What I mean by that is the book on Cristobal Huet has been published in every language spoken in the NHL and is on newsstands and bestseller list now—he goes down, gives up the top shelf and his glove isn't good enough to make up the difference. He's been in the league a long time and would have figured it out by now if he was going to. He is a very expensive career backup playing in a no. 1 spot.

Think about this—if he doesn't have Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook in front of him for 30 minutes a game, he faces twice as many shots and the Hawks are in fourth place instead of atop the West.

I want Niemi starting until we can find a legitimate no. 1, or maybe he gets that spot after the end of this season. Huet I want gone but he is on a foolishly expensive and long contract.

You make a good point that is GAA isn't the greatest measure because Huet doesn't face nearly the shots that others face and his save percentage is as good as the top guys in the league, but to say he sucks? Come on, after his rough start to the season, he has a 1.97 and 1.74 GAA in November and December, respectively with a .922 and .924 save percentage. Are his numbers indicative of how good he is? No. But is he a top-15 goalie in the NHL right now? I'd say yes. Add the dynamic offense and a stalwart defense, he doesn't have to be the best goalie in the league.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
If you get 4 shutouts in 10 starts you're doing something right. I'm actually pretty confident in the goaltending tandem going forward.

The Hawks are doing a lot of things right, and I think time will tell about our goaltending tandem.

I remember my teen years with Ed Belfour in the net for the Hawks and went on to a Hall of Fame career. But it was Belfour who was unproven when he showed up big in the 1990 playoffs and landed the starting job the next Fall. Sportswriters and fans said the same thing about Chris Osgood not having the experience or a big enough pair to win a Cup, and he's turned out all right. So, time will tell—but I'm skeptical about Huet. He gives up a lot of very soft goals. Watch the San Jose game and see what I mean. Dany Heatley is good but that should not have been a difficult stop to make, nor Demers' from the third period.

Also, the power play unit looks good and gets plenty of chances, but somehow doesn't light the lamp very much.

Soupy is producing now, but had a slump that lasted through the end of last season and into the playoffs which is definitely not up to his cap number. But let's also remember that the Blackhawks signed him in a time they were having to overpay for talent because the team did not have the proven winning equity they do now.

If Soupy and Huet were FAs now, they could probably have them for less time and less money.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Effectiveness of a goalie starts with the defensive pairings in front of them, and luckily this is a huge strength of the Hawks. I am even becoming impressed with Hendry's performance of late which is encouraging.

The goaltender is the most important position on the ice, I don't care how talented your defense is and how hard your offense attacks.

I just watched Huet do a French flop in front of Modano and let in another weak goal. Where's a gong when you need one?

QUOTE (Drew @ Dec 29, 2009 -> 07:31 PM)
The goaltender is the most important position on the ice, I don't care how talented your defense is and how hard your offense attacks.

I just watched Huet do a French flop in front of Modano and let in another weak goal. Where's a gong when you need one?

About a minute and a half into the second period, apparently.