We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
...check out Jeff Francouer's rookie stats and remember how people were so ga-ga over him too...

.300/.336/.549/.885

70 GP, 272 AB, 14 HR, 20 2B, 1 3B, 45 RBI, 11BB

it would seem like the lack of walks and reliance on homers made this predictable, but Francoeur was hitting .300 over 70 games with a ton of doubles...doesn't that sound familiar?

His career line is currently a disappointing .266/.308/.424/.732 and the power numbers have been relatively down since 06 - just 82 career homers.

So what happened to Jeff Francouer? Couldn't the same thing happen to Beckham?

You can pick examples from both sides of the fence. I think everyone understands that. Beckham could become the next Jerome Walton, or, at least in terms of consistency, the next Albert Pujols. That's what's great about baseball.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
...check out Jeff Francouer's rookie stats and remember how people were so ga-ga over him too...

.300/.336/.549/.885

it would seem like the lack of walks and reliance on homers made this predictable, but Francoeur was hitting .300 over 70 games with a ton of doubles...doesn't that sound familiar?

His career line is currently a disappointing .266/.308/.424/.732 and the power numbers have been relatively down since 06 - just 82 career homers.

No, Beckham >than Francouer

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
As much as I like Beckham and I agree that he is the best player on the Sox right now, don't compare him to Pujols. Pujols is in a league of his own.

It's a league far below Beckham. Beckham already HAS made Pujols look like DeWayne Wise.

Albert Pujols wants to be Gordon Beckham when he grows up.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
As much as I like Beckham and I agree that he is the best player on the Sox right now, don't compare him to Pujols. Pujols is in a league of his own.

Relax. I only mentioned Pujols as an example of consistency after a strong rookie year. Beckham is no Pujols, and apart from some jokes, no one here thinks Beckham is as good as Pujols (I think).

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)

.300/.336/.549/.885

You should at least compare spray charts, Becks is hitting to all fields, making it a lot less likely this is all a fluke. I think that is the main reason we are excited.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)

.300/.336/.549/.885

I'm sure there were guys who did similar or worse to Beckham who ended up being fantastic ballplayers.

Francouer - maybe I am wrong but he isn't the natural kind of ballplayer Beckham is. Two sport guy - good at both but no real shot at great.

I dont think people are seriously getting carried away theyre just having fun with his success right now. No reason to not.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
You've nicely overlooked the K ratio.

Beckham as a rookie: 6.46 AB/K

Francoeur as a rookie: 4.43 AB/K

Beckham has always been and will always be a much better contact hitter. Getz is actually a better comparison to Beckham than Francouer is, and Getz is still a really bad comparison. IMO Beckham will be a lot more like Chase Utley.

IMO, Beckham will be a lot more like.. well, Beckham.

Sorry, I've just never really been a fan of comparing players to other players. He is what he is, thankfully. He's going to be amazing.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Relax. I only mentioned Pujols as an example of consistency after a strong rookie year. Beckham is no Pujols, and apart from some jokes, no one here thinks Beckham is as good as Pujols (I think).

No, Beckham is not Pujols, nor is he as good as Pujols. He's better.

I know it seems like many dont like the slayer name. But my buddies and I have fun with it. He, MB, and Quentin we can texts about inserting whatever pitcher or hitter they face then say - Slayed, or Conquered or Hunted. Referring to our nicknames for said players - The Slayer, The Bounty Hunter for MB and The Conquistador for Carlos. It's quite enjoyable to have Slayer added to the mix.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)

.300/.336/.549/.885

It could, but Francouer had major flaws in his swing that people knew about. On top of it he didn't have a handle of the strike zone.