We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
Jeff Francouer and Gordon Beckham are radically different players, with radically different approaches at the plate. Two compare both players against each other would be absurd.

Oh really?

• they're both baseball players
  • they're both dudes
  • they both have an E in their surnames

DISPUTE THAT!!!

If he doesn't realize his potential Beckham = Jeter + 5 or 10 hr's a year

If he does realize his potential Beckham = ((combined stats from all players during steroids era - steroids)x(3 transformers)+(the energizer bunny)) raised to the power of Greg Norton

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
I can promise you I will refrain from starting threads in the future.

Good thread. You got to play the devil's advocate and choose the Beckham might not be good side. It gave a lot of us a chance to talk about our favorite subject. Beckhamania!

BigSqwert, isn't it refreshing for a mostly pessimistic board to be optimistic about something.

Please do not make a Gordon Beckham Forum like Trade Winds. Pale Hose Talk will be a ghost town.

Look its no secret there is something to be said about rookies with talent coming to the Bigs and all of a sudden putting up awesome numbers, AKA lightening in a bottle. We have seen it over and over again; Soto, Zach Duke, Hunter Pence, Hank Blalock, Clint Barmes, Troy Tuliwitzki, Eric Hinske, Longoria, Pedroia, Angel Berrora, Bobby Crosby, Dontrelle Willis, etc etc. The point is yes there are a few shining stars in that bunch who go on to maintain their success year in and year out, most of them are just products of the fact that no one has seen them before and no one has been able to set up a game plan to combat their talent. Its typically refereed to a sophmore slump, ask Soto, Marmol, Duke, Barmes, etc about that. In reality the league just hasn't caught up with them yet, scouting reports, film, game plans, etc. Once all that comes into play the lightening in a bottle rookie experiences the "sophmore slump". Let me be the first to say Gordon Bechham is not immune from all this. Next year is going to be real tough, every opposing pitcher will have his strengths and weaknesses known and a scouting reports presented to them. It will be up to Gordon to either make some adjustments to prove that he is one of the supreme talents in the game (Longoria, Pedroia, etc).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
Keep in mind: Mike Caruso hit .306 in his rookie year with 22 SB (far more than Gordon will swipe this year) and how'd that work out? Lets simmer down with the Beckman love people.

I SMELL BIAS

or hurt feelings :(

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
Keep in mind: Mike Caruso hit .306 in his rookie year with 22 SB (far more than Gordon will swipe this year) and how'd that work out? Lets simmer down with the Beckman love people.

I never liked caruso. I LOVE Beckham. I could not be impressed with a .721 OPS, sorry. The best "Slappy" ever would have been was a slightly better version of Chris Getz. That said, Beckham is playing slightly better than David Wright in his rookie year.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 04:08 AM)
I never liked caruso. I LOVE Beckham. I could not be impressed with a .721 OPS, sorry. The best "Slappy" ever would have been was a slightly better version of Chris Getz. That said, Beckham is playing slightly better than David Wright in his rookie year.

He's playing slightly better then David Wright now.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)

I vaguely remember Caruso's rookie year. Was he a double machine like GBeck?

The thing that will make Beckham great or Mike Caruso is his baseball I.Q. Does he have the knowledge and fortitude to support his baseball talent when the league adjusts or he goes in a slump.

If the answer is yes well then the Sox have something between Carney Lansford and Robin Yount

If the answer is no, the Sox have something between Greg Norton and Carney Lansford

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
The thing that will make Beckham great or Mike Caruso is his baseball I.Q. Does he have the knowledge and fortitude to support his baseball talent when the league adjusts or he goes in a slump.

If the answer is yes well then the Sox have something between Carney Lansford and Robin Yount

If the answer is no, the Sox have something between Greg Norton and Carney Lansford

So if he is baseball smart he is carney lansford, and if he is baseball dumb he is carney lansford. got it

Sometime in recent months Williams decided Beckham was a chip he would not be willing to trade, not even in a deal for Toronto ace Roy Halladay, a decision which drew a fair amount of criticism.
Really? I don't remember that ever drawing criticism.

No offense to Mike Caruso but he shouldn't be what we are comparing Beckham too. I agree that the Beckham love is beyond hype now but it seems to be all in good fun. Well, until today, when I read Rosners column.

The main difference between the two is that Beckham has the pedigree, where with Caruso, he didn't. Caruso was a second round pick - very good ball player but he wasn't the 1 or 2 best hitters out of NCAA. Only to not be taken because of concerns on his ability to remain at SS and have the same power in the majors.

Even with those concerns - Beckham was still a top 10 pick and if you ask some GM's. He is making a case for needing to have gone higher.

I'm not going to seriously say the kid is a HOF player but he is a very good ballplayer. What he is doing isn't a fluke. And he in no way should ever be seriously compared to Mike Caruso. Theyre two totally different types and breeds of players.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar