We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 202 fewer at bats, Gordon Beckham has amassed some comparatively better stats than David Wright, who is held as one of baseball's top third-basemen.

In 229 fewer at bats, Gordon Beckham has amassed some comparatively better stats than Dustin Pedroia, last year's lame MVP.

Wright: 385 At-Bats, 29 doubles, 7 homers, 51 rbi, .881 OPS

Pedroia: 412 At-Bats, 31 doubles, 6 homers, 45 rbi, .801 OPS

Beckham: 183 At-Bats, 17 doubles, 5 homers, 36 rbi, .860 OPS

It's almost comical the lack of attention Beckham is getting on the National Scale, but he's a god-damned beast.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 03:40 AM)
Very true.

Why does everybody love Getz so much?

People started loving him last year when he got like 2 hits in 7 ABs.

I like Getz, but he's been a below average offensive player this year playing mediocre defense. There's a lot to like about him (his speed, his peskiness), but he's not a good candidate for ROY.

We must not be watching the same Getz play ball. Plus what I said was he should command some atention. Beckham right now is the guy in my book. But, it is really good to see two Sox rookies making the grade at the bigs with our team

I'm still waiting for him to hit a slump. I'm not holding my breath.

Beckham is the best Sox hitting prospect I've seen since Frank. They're different types of hitters and I don't think that Slayer is quite on Frank's level talent-wise, but he's not that far behind.

While he is a different and perhaps lesser hitting prospect than Frank, his approach is one that doesn't slump nearly as much. Players that stay inside the ball like Gordon often does don't slump as often. You'll oftentimes see Paulie hitting to right field when he's trying to get out of a slump.

From the Sun-Times today (GETZ)

Getz on the go

Guillen often has said how impressed he was with rookie Chris Getz from the first time he saw him. After a rocky start to the season, Getz is showing the qualities Guillen saw and ranks with Gordon Beckham among the contenders for American League rookie of the year honors.

''I love the way he plays the game,'' Guillen said. ''I love the way he goes about his business. The way we're playing right now is because the kids at the bottom of the order [Getz and Jayson Nix] are playing real well.

''The way [Getz] runs the bases, he can make a lot of things happen.''

Getz is 17-for-18 in steal attempts, including two thefts of home.

He also is hitting .271 with two home runs, 26 RBI and the team lead in steals.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
While he is a different and perhaps lesser hitting prospect than Frank, his approach is one that doesn't slump nearly as much. Players that stay inside the ball like Gordon often does don't slump as often. You'll oftentimes see Paulie hitting to right field when he's trying to get out of a slump.

Frank in his prime was a high-average line drive hitter with a s***-ton of power, not a pull-happy power hitter. Later-career Frank changed his approach to keep his power.

Chris Getz is exactly the kind of player the Twins have killed us with for years. Everyone always complained about it and people kept wishing we'd get some players to play the game like that. Chris Getz is that player. He will probably get better, though never be a star. He does things the right way and can do the little things. He also adds some much needed speed to the roster. Now, though, despite having a repsectable rookie season, there are people complaining about him.

I just don't get it.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
We must not be watching the same Getz play ball. Plus what I said was he should command some atention. Beckham right now is the guy in my book. But, it is really good to see two Sox rookies making the grade at the bigs with our team

He's been a good player for the past two months, but that doesn't make up for his inability to hit anything in May.

His overall stats aren't all that good...

Are you really telling me his OPS+ of 81 impresses you?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
Because Getz leads a lot of rookies in a lot of statistical categories.

Hits and stolen bases?

When he starts leading rookies in batting average and on base percentage, I'll pay a little more attention.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Chris Getz is exactly the kind of player the Twins have killed us with for years. Everyone always complained about it and people kept wishing we'd get some players to play the game like that. Chris Getz is that player. He will probably get better, though never be a star. He does things the right way and can do the little things. He also adds some much needed speed to the roster. Now, though, despite having a repsectable rookie season, there are people complaining about him.

I just don't get it.

If you can call what I said complaining, okay.

I never said Getz was a bad player, I just don't like the fact that people are overrating him.

It's a great time to be a White Sox fan and Gordon Beckham has A LOT to do with that.

Beckham

Getz

Quentin

Ramirez

Floyd

Danks

Next year we possibly could add Jordan Danks to the mix. The year after that, Viciedo and Flowers? The Future is bright and we still aqcuired an ACE. I love KW!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
He's been a good player for the past two months, but that doesn't make up for his inability to hit anything in May.

His overall stats aren't all that good...

Are you really telling me his OPS+ of 81 impresses you?

He did exactly what most rookies do, who succeeed later. He started hot (April), and pitchers adjusted to him (May). The question with rookies is usually, after the first big slump, how do they recover? That is the sign of future success. And the fact that he did decent in June and great in July, to me, says he is likely to have success. I can see him being a .300-ish hitter consistently, .350 OBP territory, some good doubles numbers, good speed, high steal rate, and good defense at second. I'll take that from a second baseman.

QUOTE (maki @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 08:38 AM)
Since June 28th, the Sunday Cubs game, where he fairly clearly turned it he has hit .364, OBP somewhere just south of .400 and slugging is .523. He has 9 doubles, 1 triple, 7 SB, and 0 CS. This is all over a span of 26 games. He's had 7 errors all year and his F% has been in line with his peers, although he has had a few infrequent mental lapses, many less than the left side of the IF.

I think it can be argued that if you haven't noticed how productive Getz has been as of late you haven't been watching. He seems much more disciplined at the plate and comfortable overall. Even if he reverts back for awhile its still likely he hits .270 or so on the year, should steal 20-25 bags which could probably be more if they ran him more frequently, and will anchor the bottom part of the lineup that has been a huge part of the Sox resurgence. If he finishes the season with a line similar to what he shows now that will be a huge success and bode extremely well for his future.

Our best case scenario next year is Getz forcing Kenny/Ozzie's hand and making them move Alexei to center if Viciedo is ready or a cheap FA is available, moving Beckham where he belongs. That leaves us with 1 hole at OF/DH. Or course this depends on the quality or CF or 3B available given who's ready internally, but its always been easier to plug a hole at 3rd rather than center.

All that being said, Beckahm seems to be your 2009 AL ROY. Romero is faltering a bit. He doesn't appear to be the K pitcher we may have seen earlier in the year, and the rest of the peripherals are also coming in a bit. With Toronto out of it they're not going to be pushing him come 4 weeks from now. Porcello is in the same situation as well.

Yeah, like I haven't noticed that he's raised his batting average nearly 30 points in the past couple of months...

Problem is, it's still not good enough to win him rookie of the year honors. Not even close.

Could I be wrong in a month or two? Maybe. But when you're hitting .360 in the past month, you're kind of due to slip a little bit.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
Frank in his prime was a high-average line drive hitter with a s***-ton of power, not a pull-happy power hitter.

Indeed, Frank hit ropes all over the park in the early and mid '90s. His approach at the plate was the best I've seen in my lifetime.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
He did exactly what most rookies do, who succeeed later. He started hot (April), and pitchers adjusted to him (May). The question with rookies is usually, after the first big slump, how do they recover? That is the sign of future success. And the fact that he did decent in June and great in July, to me, says he is likely to have success. I can see him being a .300-ish hitter consistently, .350 OBP territory, some good doubles numbers, good speed, high steal rate, and good defense at second. I'll take that from a second baseman.

He should be a .300ish hitter with his speed. His approach at the plate has been getting better, but he needs to be more of a slap hitter to utilize his speed more. He still pulls the ball a lot.

Having Scott Podsednik around should help him.