We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

Well the average is up to .313 and his OBP is now .370 and almost no errors in last 2 weeks. Oh yeah this is getting to be too good to believe. I say at the end of Aug we should definitely know. With his OBP quite good and all the doubles I would not think he needs 15-20 HR´s to ice it.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
One key is for Ozzie to leave him in the #2 hole after Ramirez returns. In just a few games there, he's shown he's a perfect #2 hitter. If he stays there, he's a lock for ROTY.

I don't think he'll move him down. Beckham was slotted into the two-hole before Alexei got injured, and Beckham went 7-19 with 7 RBI in the Yankees' series. Hard to argue he isn't getting the job done...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Beckham's now got a .860 OPS. I think that should translate to an OPS+ of about 120.

His defense has improved as well, his UZR's gone up a point since the last time I checked.

Yeah, this kid is ultra-talented. I really could care less about the ROY award to be honest. I am more excited that this kid has handled everything the organization has thrown at him and passed the test with flying colors.

No doubt the league will make some adjustments to him...but even the outs he made today. Those balls were extremely hard-hit. He just has such a good bat.

There is no doubt in my mind this kid is going to be an absolute superstar.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
Yeah, this kid is ultra-talented. I really could care less about the ROY award to be honest. I am more excited that this kid has handled everything the organization has thrown at him and passed the test with flying colors.

No doubt the league will make some adjustments to him...but even the outs he made today. Those balls were extremely hard-hit. He just has such a good bat.

There is no doubt in my mind this kid is going to be an absolute superstar.

I still think he's a Michael Young type hitter offensively (when he was really good a couple of years back). .300+, around 20 homers, OPS in the high .800s. Not exactly a superstar, but a very, very good player on offense.

Defensively, he should be a lot better. Young is terrible.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
For ROY? Why? He is having a nice season, but he isn't the best rookie on his own team nevermind the league.

Very true.

Why does everybody love Getz so much?

People started loving him last year when he got like 2 hits in 7 ABs.

I like Getz, but he's been a below average offensive player this year playing mediocre defense. There's a lot to like about him (his speed, his peskiness), but he's not a good candidate for ROY.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
I still think he's a Michael Young type hitter offensively. .300+, around 20 homers, OPS in the high .800s. Not exactly a superstar, but a very, very good player on offense.

Defensively, he should be a lot better. Young is terrible.

Yeah, Young is a good comparison. However, I think Gordon has a more live bat than Young. Is it possible that Gordon might possibly even have Hanley Ramirez type potential (minus the stolen bases)?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
Very true.

I like Getz, but he's been a below average offensive player this year playing mediocre defense. There's a lot to like about him (his speed, his peskiness), but he's not a good candidate for ROY.

Because Getz leads a lot of rookies in a lot of statistical categories.

QUOTE (Stocking @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
someone do some math for me please, whats becks stats since hitting that walk off against the cubs?

.311/.374/.486/.860 in 207 PA this season

.335/.396/.524/.920 in his last 193 PA (remove the first 4 games of his career)

.374/.416/.585/1.001 in 138 PA since his walkoff vs the Cubs

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)

Is it gay if I just jizzed? Holy s***.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)

Kalapse,

Who would you compare Gordon to, if you had to?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)
The question is directed at Kalapse, I know, but his stats are starting to look a lot like Derek Jeter's.

That's ok Lost...I value your opinion too. :)

I agree, they are.

Although he does seem to hit the ball with more authority than I remember Jeter in his first few years as well...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)

Since June 28th, the Sunday Cubs game, where he fairly clearly turned it he has hit .364, OBP somewhere just south of .400 and slugging is .523. He has 9 doubles, 1 triple, 7 SB, and 0 CS. This is all over a span of 26 games. He's had 7 errors all year and his F% has been in line with his peers, although he has had a few infrequent mental lapses, many less than the left side of the IF.

I think it can be argued that if you haven't noticed how productive Getz has been as of late you haven't been watching. He seems much more disciplined at the plate and comfortable overall. Even if he reverts back for awhile its still likely he hits .270 or so on the year, should steal 20-25 bags which could probably be more if they ran him more frequently, and will anchor the bottom part of the lineup that has been a huge part of the Sox resurgence. If he finishes the season with a line similar to what he shows now that will be a huge success and bode extremely well for his future.

Our best case scenario next year is Getz forcing Kenny/Ozzie's hand and making them move Alexei to center if Viciedo is ready or a cheap FA is available, moving Beckham where he belongs. That leaves us with 1 hole at OF/DH. Or course this depends on the quality or CF or 3B available given who's ready internally, but its always been easier to plug a hole at 3rd rather than center.

All that being said, Beckahm seems to be your 2009 AL ROY. Romero is faltering a bit. He doesn't appear to be the K pitcher we may have seen earlier in the year, and the rest of the peripherals are also coming in a bit. With Toronto out of it they're not going to be pushing him come 4 weeks from now. Porcello is in the same situation as well.

Edited by maki

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 02:47 AM)
Yep, that is exactly what was said b/c I said it. And I wish I never had b/c this "Slayer" s*** went too far. One of my buddies who goes to Georgia said that, but he was definitely exaggerating. I mean, my buddy said he was always with girls that were hot, but saying that he "slays puss like no other" was definitely something that I repeated even if it's not true. I can't believe something I started has gotten to where Beckham now knows about it. I feel bad b/c, really, no guy wants that reputation even if it is true.

Uh, I do. Having a reputation like that does not impede a guy's ability to get laid. I know of plenty of guys who fall into that category. Some girls don't care at all.