Films Thread

juddling

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm posting an apology to Megan Fox, whom I have called some unflattering names on here. I know she reads this board so hope she accepts.

She was on Regis and Kelly today and looked flat out beautiful.

I think I stereotyped her as "skanky" because of the Transformers movies. The way they shot her and put all this make up on her, wasn't really appealing to me. She looked nasty to me while others thought sexy.

Her new movie may suck, but think she looks pretty in that.

So, Megan, I apologize. Call me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
I watched Citizen Kane for the first time last night. Granted I was tired, but the movie didn't do much for me. It's considered one of the greatest films of all time. Can someone go into some detail on why it is so good?

In my Jr year film class we went over how revolutionary most of his filming style was in the movie. I dont recall the specifics, but he broke a lot of ground with the way he filmed movies and set up shots and even dubbed in audio.

interestingly enough, the next movie that we went over in regards to breaking ground on filming style was Raising Arizona. There were like 6 different camera shots that were never tried before that movie

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
I watched Citizen Kane for the first time last night. Granted I was tired, but the movie didn't do much for me. It's considered one of the greatest films of all time. Can someone go into some detail on why it is so good?

Hopefully it was just you being tired. I think "great film" is a tremendous understatement in regard to Kane, and I think it remains the closest thing to a perfect film we have in American cinema. I could watch that film and Casablanca repeatedly and never get tired of either.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
Hopefully it was just you being tired. I think "great film" is a tremendous understatement in regard to Kane, and I think it remains the closest thing to a perfect film we have in American cinema. I could watch that film and Casablanca repeatedly and never get tired of either.

They're no "Dumb and Dumber".

After being told about it from a good friend from college I watched For the Bible Tells Me So which examines the biblical perspective on homosexuality. It also examines how various religious families have coped with having a gay child. It was pretty touching and sweet (although could be really sad). If you're interested in the whole religion/homosexuality debate its an interesting movie to watch.

ETA: Some of the people interviewed include Dick Gephardt and his wife and their daughter; Bishop Gene Robinson and his (adorable) 80 year old southern parents

I pretty much rate Citizen Kane right alongside 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Both films bore me to tears and I have no desire to see either one ever again. But with that being said, keep in mind that I own numerous copies of every Godzilla made, plus most of the Japanese Kaiju films. I have no use for "artsy" b.s., and never had much tolerance for it.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Can someone post the slow clap GIF for me? I've got nothing.

I'm unsure if you are being a post-modern/reflexive film hipster with that post, but I sure hope so. Kane has one of the earliest and most famous slow-claps in it. . .

. . . although with a bit of a twist. After the disastrous operatic debut of his wife Susan, Kane stubbornly stands up and claps and the rest of the audience begrudgingly follows suit.

Great scene.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)

Both films bore me to tears and I have no desire to see either one ever again. But with that being said, keep in mind that I own numerous copies of every Godzilla made, plus most of the Japanese Kaiju films. I have no use for "artsy" b.s., and never had much tolerance for it.

I'm the same way. I'm sure Citizen Kane is a really well made movie and has lots of deep meaning, but give me Dawn of the Dead any day of the week.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 09:33 AM)

Yeah, I love 2001 as well. But I'm also slowly amassing Godzilla DVDs as well. I only have around a 15 of them so far. I have all the Millenniums, most of the Heisei, and sadly very few of the Showas I grew up on. I have a couple of those box sets on my Christmas wish list though.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
I'm the same way. I'm sure Citizen Kane is a really well made movie and has lots of deep meaning, but give me Dawn of the Dead any day of the week.

You can dabble in both the high-brow and low-brow of cinema fandom. I certainly do.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
A lot of people seem to agree, then. The movie was revolutionary for its time, but it's pretty boring to many people now.

Most modern Americans say the same thing about Shakespeare, which says a lot more about modern Americans than Shakespeare's worth.

I can't see or hear the name Shakespeare anymore without thinking about Bowfinger. :lolhitting

For the record: Dawn Of The Dead is possibly the greatest movie ever made.

I will be going to see the second greatest film ever made tonight, at the drive-in: The Creature From The Black Lagoon!!!