Films Thread

juddling

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
1. The claim was made that the movie about food service is especially funny if you've ever work at (a real life) restaurant. That's not the only time I've seen that claim made.

2. Super Troopers and Road Trip weren't movies about the food service industry.

3. Super Troopers and Road Trip (American Pie 2.5) weren't good movies because they weren't that funny.

4. You fail.

Ah I fail. I see. Ok, well I suppose I should cry about how office space is so unfunny and whine about how it stereotypes the workplace because I happen to work in a cubicle

DAMN YOU MIKE JUDGE!!!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
Went and saw Ponyo yesterday. Absolutely terrific, beautiful film.

I need to search out all of Hayao Miyazaki's stuff, I think Princess Mononoke is the only other film of his I've seen.

See Spirited Away...one of the best animated films of all time.

I have been watching John Adams the last few days, great miniseries by the way. But while watching it, I repeatedly find myself wondering why they haven't made a miniseries or epic based on George Washington's life.

Someone pointed out to me that there was a movie in the 1980's starring Barry Bostwick as Washington, but that doesn't exactly cut the mustard for me. With all of the epic movies and miniseries in the recent past, why haven't they done one about the man who most consider the greatest American ever?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
I have been watching John Adams the last few days, great miniseries by the way. But while watching it, I repeatedly find myself wondering why they haven't made a miniseries or epic based on George Washington's life.

Someone pointed out to me that there was a movie in the 1980's starring Barry Bostwick as Washington, but that doesn't exactly cut the mustard for me. With all of the epic movies and miniseries in the recent past, why haven't they done one about the man who most consider the greatest American ever?

After learning about him in the Adams series I started to question how great Washington really was.

If you like that history stuff on film, watch for Blood and Thunder, which is targeted for film release next year. Its basically the story of the "winning" of the west, through the lens of the life of Kit Carson. Fantastic book.

And that John Adams book is also quite good.

Lots of Disney movie news coming out of their D23 expo (wish I could have went)

http://www.cinematical.com/2009/09/11/pira...stranger-tides/

Anyway...

A new Muppet Move called "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever" is in production, written by Jason Segal.

Robert Zemeckis is remaking the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" using his motion capture style ala Beowulf and Polar Expess. The Beatles and Apple Corps are involved in the production.

Pixar's first live action film "John Carter of Mars" will open Summer 2012.

But the biggest news occurred when Johnny Depp come out on stage dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow and annouced that Pirates 4 will start filiming next year and open May 2011! He then announced the title:

r4_2011_nonames_v1.jpg

Intertesting note: There is a fantasy pirate novel called On Stranger Tides that was influenced by the Pirates ride...wonder if they are using that book as the basis for the new story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Stranger_Tides

Robert Zemeckis is remaking the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" using his motion capture style ala Beowulf and Polar Expess. The Beatles and Apple Corps are involved in the production.

I love Zemeckis. Think he is very underrated, but this motion capture stuff is garbage. I am gonna see A Christmas Carol cuz it is one of my favorite stories of all time, but this style is bad, IMO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
If you like that history stuff on film, watch for Blood and Thunder, which is targeted for film release next year. Its basically the story of the "winning" of the west, through the lens of the life of Kit Carson. Fantastic book.

And that John Adams book is also quite good.

Have they pegged an actor for Carson or any of the other characters yet? I'll be interested to see who they find to play Freemont as well. This has potential to be a great movie if done right...

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
Have they pegged an actor for Carson or any of the other characters yet? I'll be interested to see who they find to play Freemont as well. This has potential to be a great movie if done right...

I haven't seen an actor attached yet for any role, but I believe Dreamworks owns the rights.

Carson will be hard to get right. Most of the strong leading men that you'd think of to be, basically, America's first action hero, are not going to look right. Carson is built more or less like Harvey Keitel - on the short side, stocky/beefy, craggy face. Most of your action hero types don't fit that. I was thinking maybe Ed Harris for the older version of Carson, but you need someone who can play him younger, and I don't know who that might be.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
After learning about him in the Adams series I started to question how great Washington really was.

Bah, the man still led the army in defeating the British. And of course the story of John Adams isn't going to go into great detail on what the man did right, but rather where he differed from Adams and such.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 12, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
I haven't seen an actor attached yet for any role, but I believe Dreamworks owns the rights.

Carson will be hard to get right. Most of the strong leading men that you'd think of to be, basically, America's first action hero, are not going to look right. Carson is built more or less like Harvey Keitel - on the short side, stocky/beefy, craggy face. Most of your action hero types don't fit that. I was thinking maybe Ed Harris for the older version of Carson, but you need someone who can play him younger, and I don't know who that might be.

Viggo Mortensen?

The 1980's Washington with Bostwick is actually very underrated and very good. I remember watching it as a kid with my dad. It is worth a viewing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
Bah, the man still led the army in defeating the British. And of course the story of John Adams isn't going to go into great detail on what the man did right, but rather where he differed from Adams and such.

You don't have to be great at everything to be a great man. Just get the most important thing right.