Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

Heading to south bend this weekend, should be an interesting game. First time all season Clausen has faced a real defense, and Weis probably needs a win to save his job. ND's defense is pretty sub par, but Barkley is still a freshman and Johnson is out. Although, with all the 5-star talent USC has at RB, that shouldnt hurt them too much. Going with the wife and some of her family and friends, mostly all USC fans, which works well with my ND sentiment. Fight On!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's alright. I know our athletes are dumb, I have class with a lot of them. I've seen a nice 34% on a test by a former QB who is now playing baseball. I'm sick of this s*** here. Thank god I graduate in May. However, I do feel like this happens more than just FSU we're just the dumb asses who got caught.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
Many people at USF feel that Daniels is better than Grothe.

He probably WILL be, but I think its pretty obvious he isnt there yet. Also of note in that game, the Left tackle from Cincy handled the pash rush from one of the best in the country with ease.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
Cincy is lucky South Fla is down a bit with their RSF at QB. Cincy simply doesnt play D and they will have some issues if they face one of the teams above them, all of which have good defensive squads.

I would think South Florida or Pittsburgh will get them. I just REALLY hope they don't go undefeated and somehow make the title game. They'd get run off the field in the first half and ruin the fun of a potentially competitive/good title game.

Cincy looked good on offense but I wasnt that impressed with their defense. If South Florida had a QB who could pass, this game could have easily been in the 30s. The USF WR dropping that easy bomb pass was a backbreaker for the Bulls.

I think Daniels will be a more dynamic player for USF than Grothe but USF is really missing Grothe's better than average passing game. For whatever reason, USF has had trouble finding good recievers over the years. Once they can get some playmakers on the outside, they will become the best team in the Big East.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Before Pike's first half injury, I was really impressed with Cincy. If Pike can get back to 100% I wouldn't be surprised to see them win a BCS game by a bigger than expected margin.

Do you think they'd have any chance against an Alabama or Florida? Because the argument with Cincy isn't if they are BCS quality like it is with Boise State because I think everybody agrees that Cincinnati is BCS quality if they take care of business on the field. The argument with them is do they deserve a shot at the title game if they go undefeated.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
Do you think they'd have any chance against an Alabama or Florida? Because the argument with Cincy isn't if they are BCS quality like it is with Boise State because I think everybody agrees that Cincinnati is BCS quality if they take care of business on the field. The argument with them is do they deserve a shot at the title game if they go undefeated.

Not a chance. Florida's defense would eat them alive. In fact most of the best teams in the country have great defensive squads. Those teams that dont, wont last very long in a BCS bowl.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
I think Cincy would handle themselves. Once everyone loses a game (because that always happens) it won't be a discussion, but if Cincy is the only undefeated it would be absurd to keep them out of the title game.

Cincinnati is also helped by the fact that the Big East looks a little better than usual. There have certainly been years where the Mountain West was as good or better than the Big East in football, and thus in theory, TCU would have a title game argument if they went perfect and Cincinnati had that same argument while also not losing. This isn't really one of those years though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
I think Cincy would handle themselves. Once everyone loses a game (because that always happens) it won't be a discussion, but if Cincy is the only undefeated it would be absurd to keep them out of the title game.

I just think their lack of any sort of defense of any kind will hurt them. I thought this was a pretty good article on ESPN about the importance of defense for the best teams in the country.

All the preseason chatter was about quarterback play and spread offenses and points. Well, the pretty-boy offense stuff has been hit, wrapped up and brought to the ground -- behind the line of scrimmage. This season has unexpectedly been hijacked by defense.

The Dash enjoys a good shootout as much as the next fan, but the reality is that an awful lot of high-profile quarterbacks have either gotten hurt or struggled, while the stars have shined on the other side of the ball. With an assist from a whole lot of wet weather, college football has tilted in 2009 to the defensive side of the ball.

You want proof?

• The 1-2 teams in the AP poll are the 1-2 teams nationally in total defense: Florida and Alabama, in that order.

• All of the top eight teams in scoring defense are ranked in the current AP Top 25.

• Of the AP top 15 teams, only one (Miami) does not rank in the top 26 nationally in scoring defense. Meanwhile, eight of those teams are outside the top 26 in scoring offense.

• No fewer than five stereotypically high-octane teams rank higher in total defense than total offense: Boise State (14th in defense, 20th in offense), Florida (first in defense, sixth in offense), Texas (fourth in defense, seventh in offense), Miami (39th in defense, 51st in offense), Oregon (16th in defense, 71st in offense) and Oklahoma (ninth in defense, 14th in offense).

So which are the REAL top five defensive units, and in what order? The Dash reveals:

Alabama (12). The Crimson Tide are No. 2, but have played opposing offenses that rank a respectable 64th. Biggest achievement to date: shutting down Arkansas (No. 15 offense in the nation).

Texas. The No. 4 overall defense has bottled up offenses that rank 61st. Biggest achievement to date: holding the No. 2 offense in America, Texas Tech, to three points in the first half and 24 overall.

Florida (13). Nobody is giving up fewer than the Gators' 203 yards per game, but they've faced only one offense ranked better than 50th -- that's No. 48 Tennessee. Biggest achievement to date: zero points allowed in the second halves of two SEC road games.

Ohio State (14). The 11th-ranked Buckeyes D is allowing 272 yards per game despite having faced the best offenses of the defensive top 15, including one in the top 10 (Toledo) and another in the top 30 (Wisconsin). Biggest achievement to date: nine straight quarters of shutout football against Toledo, Illinois and Indiana.

USC (15). The No. 6-ranked Trojans defense has not been tested by anything like what it'll see from Notre Dame on Saturday, having faced just one offense in the top 70 (No. 49 California). Biggest achievement to date: just 26 points allowed after the first quarter this season.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
You know what sucks more? Your college and pro team has their bye week on the same weekend. That was my world last week.

Oh man, that would suck... You're a Notre Dame guy, right? Golden Tate was in Knoxville last weekend, hanging with one of my boys. Nice guy.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)
Oh man, that would suck... You're a Notre Dame guy, right? Golden Tate was in Knoxville last weekend, hanging with one of my boys. Nice guy.

Yeah.

One thing about Notre Dame athletes, in my experience, you very rarely meet a bad person.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 05:38 AM)
Yeah.

One thing about Notre Dame athletes, in my experience, you very rarely meet a bad person.

I'd say that's true, but there have been a couple of notable rare ones who have dragged down the average all by themselves (See, Watters, Ricky; See also, Laimbeer, Bill), or so I've heard. Unfortunately, with big-time athletes in general, that will happen anywhere (some places much more than others--I'm looking at you, illiterate FSU Seminoles).