Mark Buehrle Enjoys Hunting

whitesoxmanager

I am very humane and like you don't like to kill animals without mercy and compassion, but letting go of trapped flies is just a little much...why????

-They are not an apex species

-They are not even close to being under populated

-Their gestastion and generation times are VERY short meaning they can replinish VERY quickly (unlike whales or elephants)

I appreciate your perspective dude, I really do...but when you talk about saving 'house flies' you won't gain any converts to your cause. Show the butchering Sarah Palin promotes and then you'' win some support, but 'common people' nor scientists are gonna join your protect the house flies agenda.

One last note...Being a vegetarian (which I am not) and being opposed to hunting IS NOT about PETA...they are clowns.

some interesting commentary. much appreciated. to be honest i just try to live the rest of my life realizing that living life scared, in pain, or suffering is ZERO fun. whatever sacrifice i must take to assist i will try my utmost to do so. those who scrutinize give me more strength.

MB is productive how when hunting? whatever sheeple...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
Look out in nature animals kill animals all the time. I eat meat, and will continue to eat meat and if some animal is able to outsmart me then it can eat me because of my stupidity.

vg-jp.jpg

Clever Girl

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
Look out in nature animals kill animals all the time. I eat meat, and will continue to eat meat and if some animal is able to outsmart me then it can eat me because of my stupidity.

That's not a bad philosophy when it comes to small game, but bears are another matter entirely. They don't have to be very smart to chase down and pounce upon a human being. That's why people were never meant to live unarmed in arctic environments like Minnesota.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
MB is productive how when hunting? whatever sheeple...

just off the top of my head...

One aspect of hunting is that it helps reduce overpopulation. Over population can increase the spread of diseases such as Chronic Wasting Disease. A disease such as this could have drastic effects on populations in the future. Also, it has the potential to be transmitted to livestock. Overpopulation also has a drastic effect on the ground cover in areas. This can affect many other creatures who then have to deal with less food, in turn, so will the deer and starvation takes place. In addition, a lack of ground cover can lead to erosion and effect the ground water and water ways of the area. These water ways became overrun with silt, sand, and gravel thus destroying natural spawning areas and habitats for fish, frogs and turtles. Also, as mentioned prior in this thread, there a millions of auto collisions with deer each year. For all these reasons, and more, if people like Dye, Buehrle, and others did not hunt, districts would have no choice but to hire sharpshooters to have to reduce the population levels. This costs money. All this costs money. Thats how he an be productive.

I am not a hunter, but I am a Natural Resource major.

On top of that:

-Although there are exceptions, you rarely find outdoorsmen disrespecting nature by leaving trash all over the place.

-License expenses help keep recreation areas clean, healthy, and most importantly protected. It's a lot harder to develop a natural area when hunters and fishermen are protesting against it.

-It takes a greater appreciation for nature itself to kill your own food and prepare it yourself than it does to just go to the grocery store and buy something already slaughtered.

-Were the Natives who lived here hundreds of years ago "bad" because they killed? They lived far, far, far closer to nature and held a respect far, far, higher for it than all your new age hippie clubs combined.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)

One aspect of hunting is that it helps reduce overpopulation. Over population can increase the spread of diseases such as Chronic Wasting Disease. A disease such as this could have drastic effects on populations in the future. Also, it has the potential to be transmitted to livestock. Overpopulation also has a drastic effect on the ground cover in areas. This can affect many other creatures who then have to deal with less food, in turn, so will the deer and starvation takes place. In addition, a lack of ground cover can lead to erosion and effect the ground water and water ways of the area. These water ways became overrun with silt, sand, and gravel thus destroying natural spawning areas and habitats for fish, frogs and turtles. Also, as mentioned prior in this thread, there a millions of auto collisions with deer each year. For all these reasons, and more, if people like Dye, Buehrle, and others did not hunt, districts would have no choice but to hire sharpshooters to have to reduce the population levels. This costs money. All this costs money. Thats how he an be productive.

That has already happened on several occasions in my town, which borders a forest preserve.

There are too many deer around here. I remember a time 10 years ago you'd rarely see a deer, and now they're common both day and night. I've already hit one with my car, as has my neighbor. Several years ago a deer was hit by a car near my house, still somehow survived, and as it lay twitching a cop had to put a bullet in its head. It becomes a public hazard when there are no known predators around, and these animals freely roam about neighborhoods and multiply without end because of their endless food supply.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 01:44 AM)
-License expenses help keep recreation areas clean, healthy, and most importantly protected. It's a lot harder to develop a natural area when hunters and fishermen are protesting against it.

in addition to that, fishing and hunting license sales account for the majority of funds for DNRs.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)

And yet, by allowing the general public to purchase deer tags (and whatever other animals need to be cut down), the government not only does not SPEND money, but they actually MAKE money.

No kidding.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Can we get off this notion that there is such thing as humane meat? Unless you're growing it in a petri dish it's not humane. GMAFB.

I believe an animal can be killed humanely. You can kill an animal in a way which is much less painful than that of dying of natural causes; when the body slowly breaks down due to age.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
I believe an animal can be killed humanely. You can kill an animal in a way which is much less painful than that of dying of natural causes; when the body slowly breaks down due to age.

Killing is not humane in any way. I don't care if you're playing the best of U2 while you're slitting a cow's throat. You're still slitting the cow's throat.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
Killing is not humane in any way.

i have bad news for you BigSqwert, farms that use mechanical harvesting kill tons of animals. you need to stop eating vegetables if you wish to be truly, as you have defined, humane; never eat food that has caused the death of an animal.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
i have bad news for you BigSqwert, farms that use mechanical harvesting kill tons of animals. you need to stop eating vegetables if you wish to be truly, as you have defined, humane; never eat food that has caused the death of an animal.

Like I said, the dumbest argument I have ever heard for rationalizing meat eating. Purposefully murdering animals by the billions each year does not equate to accidentally killing an animal in the process of harvesting grains, etc.

Taking the same rationality you should be able to murder as many people as you feel like since cars accidentally kill people.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
Taking the same rationality you should be able to murder as many people as you feel like since cars accidentally kill people.

your logic is hopelessly flawed. when using a mechanical harvester, you know very well you are going to kill a whole bunch of animals by shredding them to death. yet you don't seem to care about this intentional killing because it removes your self-rightous soap box from under your feet.

also, if you eat anything that was grown using nitrogen based fertilizer you should know it seeps into reivers which lead into the gulf creating a "dead zone" — a large area so depleted of oxygen that fish, crabs and shrimp suffocate. intentionally eating food you know directly lead to the killing fish and other sea creatures? for shame BigSqwert, for shame.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
your logic is hopelessly flawed. when using a mechanical harvester, you know very well you are going to kill a whole bunch of animals by shredding them to death. yet you don't seem to care about this intentional killing because it removes your self-rightous soap box from under your feet.

also, if you eat anything that was grown using nitrogen based fertilizer you should know it seeps into reivers which lead into the gulf creating a "dead zone" — a large area so depleted of oxygen that fish, crabs and shrimp suffocate. intentionally eating food you know directly lead to the killing fish and other sea creatures? for shame BigSqwert, for shame.

:lolhitting

Wow. Keep convincing your self that you have a great argument. Also since I'm sure you're anti-murder for humans I expect you to sell your car and walk everywhere for the rest of your life since cars and other vehicles accidentally kill people.

I look forward to some more ingenious arguments from you. Perhaps you'll tell me that eating vegetables equals murder too.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)

Wow. Keep convincing your self that you have a great argument. Also since I'm sure you're anti-murder for humans I expect you to sell your car and walk everywhere for the rest of your life since cars and other vehicles accidentally kill people.

I look forward to some more ingenious arguments from you. Perhaps you'll tell me that eating vegetables equals murder too.

If you're eating farm-grown vegetables, animals were killed in the harvesting of those. There's no way around that. At least acknowledge that your chosen food source still results in the deaths of animals (not to mention millions of innocent plants!).