Freddy Sanchez to the Giants

ThunderBolt

Freddy Sanchez was just traded to the Giants for Tim Alderson. My initial reaction is that this is a major coup for the Pirates. Sanchez has value, but much of it's inflated by his ability to hit for a high average. Alderson is a hell of a pitcher too.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
He actually doesn't have the dominating numbers you would think he should have given his prospect status, but he also is 20 and in AA.

Exactly. 20 in AA. I'm not going to sit here and say awful trade for the Giants. I've never seen Alderson throw a pitch live before. I can just go by what I read. I guess the Giants know something about him nobody else does. Or they just really wanted Sanchez.

The Giants were desperate for offense. Freddy Sanchez is a solid hitter and will improve that lineup. This is a good move for the Pirates because they aren't throwing in money and they get a hell of a prospect. The Pirates are really putting together some outstanding depth in their farm system. I'd say this is a good trade for both teams, but the edge has to go to Pittsburgh.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
I just want to see Tim Linecum in the playoffs. What the hell do I care if the Giants overpaid for Sanchez? Just get that man to the postseason!

Matt Cain's been pretty stellar as well. Should be fun to see how their young pitchers do in the post season.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
Matt Cain's been pretty stellar as well. Should be fun to see how their young pitchers do in the post season.

You best believe, as some have already pointed out, that the possibility of seeing the Giants in the NLDS was a reason the Phillies went so hard after Halladay/Lee. When you've got a 1-2 like that, you've got a chance.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
I said this a few days ago, but with the price people are paying for players right now, I really wish we were sellers.

No thanks. I'd rather be going for a division title than selling off our players for prospects that we don't know will pan out.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
No thanks. I'd rather be going for a division title than selling off our players for prospects that we don't know will pan out.

The Pirates just got a stud 20 year old pitcher for an expensive free-agent-to-be in Freddy Sanchez. We could get a king's ransom if we were to shop a guy like Alexei. Imagine what Boston would offer us for him. Or hell, we could've probably snagged Alderson + more for Dye.

Edited by League

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)

I've said in many other threads, it's not about the players panning out for us, it's for KW to get more ammunition to go after guys this offseason (like Carl Crawford).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
I've said in many other threads, it's not about the players panning out for us, it's for KW to get more ammunition to go after guys this offseason (like Carl Crawford).

That's a good point which I think is always overlooked.

We are a big market team who can afford to replace guys via free agency. We are unlike the Pirates, Marlins, and even Rays of the world where we dump our good players for prospects and then have to wait for those guys.

If we feel we are out of it or deem it necessary to sell guys. We should make moves like this. You get a young stud in the makign from all accounts I've heard, and at worst he is a major bullet in landing these Halladay/Sabathia/Holliday types that we always seem to come up short for. This is the first year in a while where we have had one of those elite guys and some guys very close to it. And everyone loves having the prospects and thinks they can be moved for stuff.

Then in the offseason we can afford their replacements or other improvements to our club. While still having guys with more upside to contribute at a later date or use to acquire big name players when we need them. That kinda thing gives club some new confidence and excitement. It is something we have lacked at the deadline.

Adding depth to the farm by trading vets, signing international FA's, having a clue how to scout and draft (which we didnt have for awhile) and not passing on "expensive" draft picks is how you end up with this kind of talent.

I don't think 2 games out warrants a firesale but I do think it'd be nice to not go for it with crap additions and end up coming up short or being bumped in round 1 of the playoffs. I get the whole "it's nice to get in cuz anything can happen" but when ur bumped out then what?

2nd thing is I cant believe they got this kid for Sanchez. I wonder how many teams wish they knew he was even available.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar