Sox versus Yankees August 1, 2009 game thread

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
This is why Danks doesn't go deep into games. And it is why he isn't as good as Gavin.

I love Floyd, but does he take care of business the way Danks just did when he gets himself into a jam?

Granted, Carlos helped him out a LOT, but still.

Edited by lostfan

Danks! This guy has really impressed me over the past year. He loses his stuff, loads the bases with no outs, and escapes with only one run allowed (with some help from Quentin, of course). His ability to pitch over mistakes is becoming Buehrle-like.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
I love Floyd, but does he take care of business the way Danks just did when he gets himself into a jam?

I think Floyd's curve can be a more consistent finisher then Dank’s straight change. They're both great pitches, but Danks doesn't have the feel for it that Floyd has of the curve.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
I think Floyd’s curve can be a more consistent finisher then Dank’s straight change. They’re bother great pitches, but Danks doesn’t have the feel for it that Floyd has of the curve.

When it's on, Gavin's curve is one of the nastiest things I've ever seen.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)

Granted, Carlos helped him out a LOT, but still.

2.34 ERA over his last 13 starts. And Floyd doesn't get him into those type of jams as much but I remember him pitching himself out of plenty of jams. Floyd consitently gets deeper into games though and that is because he pitches more to contact while still putting improving K numbers.

He's also gone 2 straight months (June/July) where he posted a sub 1 WHIP.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
When it's on, Gavin's curve is one of the nastiest things I've ever seen.

It is. If he could throw it for strikes more consistently, he'd be Chris Carpenter.

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Your man-love for Floyd is ridiculous.

You got to give me credit though. I was the one of the few who kept saying how dumb the talk was about moving him. I've always said you need to look at stats and what your seeing and when Floyd was really struggling earlier in the year I was seeing a guy that was getting dealt a lot of bad luck and really wasn't that far off from being his real good stuff.

He's learned how to cut his fastball a bit, has two variations of plus curves, and has a surprisingly good changeup and to me it is the change-up that will be the key to him eventually turning into a very good #2 starter.

By the way, I'm not hating on Danks. He's a ridiculously good #4 and he's learning how to pitch still. He's a really good one too with an upside of a #2 as well. I give Floyd a little bit of a notch and right now I think Floyd is better but he's also older. I f***ing love the fact that we have both of them on the southside!!!

Combine that with Buehrle/Peavy and what I expect will be Hudson next season (maybe a veteran stop-gap until Hudson takes over) and we are talking about a team that if the rotation is healthy, should contend every single season.