Is Dye being traded for Rios???

wilmot825

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
Left field is usually where your worst outfielder plays, so a move there for Dye could help I guess.

Not always. LF is generally where faster outfielders with weaker arms play, whereas RF is where most slower players with strong arms. This is why Dye is in RF and Pods/Quentin play LF.

Dye needs to move to DH.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
Not always. LF is generally where faster outfielders with weaker arms play, whereas RF is where most slower players with strong arms. This is why Dye is in RF and Pods/Quentin play LF.

Dye needs to move to DH.

This.

Dye's defensive game has gotten pretty bad, but his arm is still his best asset, for what that's worth. TCQ has a worse arm, but covers a lot more ground. It therefore makes zero sense to have those two flip positions. Dye just needs to be moved to DH, or possibly converted to 1B if he can pick up that skill set.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
This.

Dye's defensive game has gotten pretty bad, but his arm is still his best asset, for what that's worth. TCQ has a worse arm, but covers a lot more ground. It therefore makes zero sense to have those two flip positions. Dye just needs to be moved to DH, or possibly converted to 1B if he can pick up that skill set.

1B would be interesting, but I just can't feel optimistic about the chance of him being successful. Plus, I worry his offensive skills would suffer while he makes the adjustment.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
1B would be interesting, but I just can't feel optimistic about the chance of him being successful. Plus, I worry his offensive skills would suffer while he makes the adjustment.

That does bring up another aspect. I've liked Dye a lot here, but this year, his attitude on the field seems to be bad. He spaces off on plays (beyond just errors), and doesn't seem to be making as much effort. He gets angry a lot more often at himself than I remember him doing before, and he seems to get pissed at umps a LOT now. That whole set of things worries me a little. Not a ton, but, something to consider.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
That does bring up another aspect. I've liked Dye a lot here, but this year, his attitude on the field seems to be bad. He spaces off on plays (beyond just errors), and doesn't seem to be making as much effort. He gets angry a lot more often at himself than I remember him doing before, and he seems to get pissed at umps a LOT now. That whole set of things worries me a little. Not a ton, but, something to consider.

I'd say most of the things you're critiquing has occurred within the last 2 weeks. And you'll see the positive correlation with his average dropping during that same time frame.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
I'd say most of the things you're critiquing has occurred within the last 2 weeks. And you'll see the positive correlation with his average dropping during that same time frame.

The defensive lapses have been amplified the last two weeks, yes. But they were there before too, and the fighting with umpires has been since early in the season. Starting to look like a trend to me. Seems like Dye is becoming a grumpy old man out there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
The defensive lapses have been amplified the last two weeks, yes. But they were there before too, and the fighting with umpires has been since early in the season. Starting to look like a trend to me. Seems like Dye is becoming a grumpy old man out there.

I've been wondering how much he is hurting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
This.

By no means a perfect stats but:

ARM (outfield arm runs): Outfielder’s get credit (plus or minus) depending on what the runners do on a hit or a fly ball out. A runner can stay put, advance, or get thrown out. A fielder will get credit not only if he throws out more than his share of runners, but also if he keeps more than his share of runners from advancing extra bases.

Jermaine Dye this season: -2.4 (ranks 53rd amongst 66 qualified outfielders)

Jermaine Dye since 2002: -27.1

Quentin by the same method:

+2.8 this season

+4.8 career

Quentin's numbers are a little strange, his range has been far superior in RF (+8.1 RngR in RF, -14.6 RngR in LF), while his arm has been better in LF (understandable) coming in at +5.1 in LF and -0.3 in RF. It's probably just inaccuracies caused by an unsubstantial sample size, but interesting to note nonetheless.

Swapping those two would probably help this team but getting Dye out of the outfield should be an offseason priority.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
Dye just needs to be moved to DH, or possibly converted to 1B if he can pick up that skill set.

If Dye could become skilled at scooping balls out of the dirt, a large target like him might be a plus at 1B. Although I cringe at the thought of his large, aging frame diving for line drives.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Dye's arm is better than Quentin's?

I find that hard to believe.

I seem to have a minority opinion on that matter. I think TCQ misses his target a LOT with his throws. But no one doubts that CQ has better range (I assume), and having them both move will cause both temporary problems. So even if the arms are about the same, its not a move that makes sense.

Until now, I had assumed the Sox would re-sign Dye after the season to another 2-year deal along the lines of the one he is playing under now. But since I don't see any games that aren't on WGN or national TV, I probably underestimated just how bad JD's defense has become. Couple that with the parallel thread on who our DH is likely to be next season, and I'm growing skeptical that the Sox will keep JD after this season.

Of course, Rios is certainly not here yet. But if he did come, then I think the Sox are more likely to keep Thome at DH than Dye, for a few reasons. 1. Thome actually creates more runs per game than Jermaine. 2. Thome is our only power lefty bat. 3. Thome would likely extend for less money, and be willing to go year-to-year. 4. Thome is experienced at DH; Dye is not. Never know what effect it will have. Could be positive b/c Dye gets more rest, or could be negative b/c it changes Dye's routine.

There are a few factors in JD's favor. 1. Younger. 2. DHing might give him enough rest to keep his bat going strong through the season. 3. Thome has back issues, so JD might be able to get more plate appearances than Jim.

But, on balance, if the OF is set without JD, I don't think we'll see him back.