Contreras to pen; Peavy to start Saturday

PeavyTime

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 08:00 AM)
I'm never happy when a player is demoted. That is never a good sign for the club, it means some player has been under-performing, often by a huge delta. So I am sad for Contreras, worried that they are pushing Peavy because of the playoff race and needing a boost.

Even Wilson Betemit?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
Isn't it CC and Buerhle Friday and Gaudin on Saturday?

Yea im pretty sure it would be Peavy vs Gaudin. Peavy has progressed nicely in his minor league games. He's at the point now where he could throw 6-7 innings. No matter what he won't be 100% but yes a 70-85% Peavy is much better than what Contreras has provided us this season. We are at the point of the season where we can no longer 'hope' Jose finally gets it back. We are 3.5 games back, they are on a very tough road trip and there are only 37 games left. I'm looking forward to Peavy!!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:40 AM)
It should be done as a statement.

No, it shouldn't. You don't dump a veteran who dominated the playoffs and World Series for you (and not to mention recently came back several months ahead of schedule from a potentially career-ending Achilles rupture) out of spite. Under Kenny, the Sox have done much to repair this organization's bad reputation in the way that they handle veteran players. DFAing a player like Jose would be completely counter-productive, especially considering that the rosters expand soon and that he might be useful in long relief.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
No, it shouldn't. You don't dump a veteran who dominated the playoffs and World Series for you (and not to mention recently came back several months ahead of schedule from a potentially career-ending Achilles rupture) out of spite. Under Kenny, the Sox have done much to repair this organization's bad reputation in the way that they handle veteran players. DFAing a player like Jose would be completely counter-productive, especially considering that the rosters expand soon and that he might be useful in long relief.

^^^

Ahh the most practical post of the day. When most of Soxtalk reeks of emotion, we have WCSox to smack us with that. Good post dude.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 04:41 AM)
Cowley, like others, said he's going to the bullpen.

Peavy will talk to Cooper tomorrow, and if he feels good, he'll start Saturday in New York.

That game is carried by WGN also. I will be excited to see that. Sunday is TBS Sunday game of the Week also

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)

You are so right. Contreras is a veteran who has contributed much to this organization. You don't throw him under the bus as a statement. Hearing some comments from Ozzie and also others in the organization it makes you wonder if Jose didn't get rushed back from his injury rehab. He is a proud fellow and can obviously be dominant when right, but my guess is this is his last season with the Sox.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
^^^

Ahh the most practical post of the day. When most of Soxtalk reeks of emotion, we have WCSox to smack us with that. Good post dude.

Thanks.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
You are so right. Contreras is a veteran who has contributed much to this organization. You don't throw him under the bus as a statement. Hearing some comments from Ozzie and also others in the organization it makes you wonder if Jose didn't get rushed back from his injury rehab. He is a proud fellow and can obviously be dominant when right, but my guess is this is his last season with the Sox.

Even if the rosters didn't expand in seven days, Jose is off the payroll in a month and a half. DFAing him right now would be absolutely pointless.

You don't DFA players to "send a message." Especially a player who worked his ass off this past winter to come back early from a career-threatening injury. Once you go down that road, say goodbye to ever being able to trade for a Jim Thome or Jake Peavy again. Those guys will want no part of an organization that treats its players like garbage, and will reject trades to the Sox faster than you can say "no-trade clause."

Edited by WCSox

If a guy sucks, has sucked for the last three years, then i don't give a damn what he did in 2005. It has no bearing on the present. I want to win now, i want to experience 2005 AGAIN, that's not going to happy if we keep running a "good feelings tour" out their.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Thanks.

Even if the rosters didn't expand in seven days, Jose is off the payroll in a month and a half. DFAing him right now would be absolutely pointless.

You don't DFA players to "send a message." Especially a player who worked his ass off this past winter to come back early from a career-threatening injury. Once you go down that road, say goodbye to ever being able to trade for a Jim Thome or Jake Peavy again. Those guys will want no part of an organization that treats its players like garbage, and will reject trades to the Sox faster than you can say "no-trade clause."

Part of why I fully expect Wise to be activated on Sept 1. They put him on the DL so he could stay with the team through the rest of the year.

So just for clarification there hasn't really been confirmation, but just speculation? Or has someone talked to Peavy or his agent?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

That linky makes it seem like nothing has been decided, at least, internally.

Maybe I miss it somewhere in this thread.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)

Fine, we can keep being pussies and allowing our players to perform like utter s*** with absolutely no consequence. We can't move a guy out of the third spot in the order because it would offend him. We can't take a guy out of the rotation until he becomes a complete embarrassment.

Sign with the White Sox and you'll never be held to a decent standard again!

You perform, you keep playing regularly. You don't perform, you keep playing regularly. You win either way, plus you get all of the money you're not earning.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
Fine, we can keep being pussies and allowing our players to perform like utter s*** with absolutely no consequence. We can't move a guy out of the third spot in the order because it would offend him. We can't take a guy out of the rotation until he becomes a complete embarrassment.

I've argued here several times that JD should be moved down in the order, and have no problem whatsoever moving Jose to the 'pen. That's a hell of a lot different than DFAing them.

Sign with the White Sox and you'll never be held to a decent standard again!

You perform, you keep playing regularly. You don't perform, you keep playing regularly. You win either way, plus you get all of the money you're not earning.

Jose and JD have both performed extremely well at times this year (and Jose worked his ass off to be able to pitch again back in March), so the argument that they're not earning their paychecks is dubious at best. Both are also under contract for only a month and a half longer, so I don't see what the point of your rant is.

Again, releasing players because they're slumping and you're pissed off is juvenile and counter-productive.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
So just for clarification there hasn't really been confirmation, but just speculation? Or has someone talked to Peavy or his agent?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

That linky makes it seem like nothing has been decided, at least, internally.

Maybe I miss it somewhere in this thread.

i think it is mostly speculation at this point (change the thread title perhaps?).

peavy was supposed to join the team today. i'd imagine he'll meet with kw, tell him how he feels, and they'll make a decision based on that.

the original schedule seemed to be three starts. that was adjusted after his last start to maybe four, but perhaps after last night's showing they move back to three.

my guess (hope?) is that they will be extra precautious. but if he comes in and says he's ready to go (which he hinted at last night) then i'm not sure how you hold him off. clearly there's a need.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
You can play noon games before fox coverage but it is local only. No directv and probably no superstation coverage

it is listed on both the superstation web site and my local programming schedule (in ohio).

normally if it isn't on out here it will never be listed and instead replaced by a kojak marathon or something.

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
You can play noon games before fox coverage but it is local only. No directv and probably no superstation coverage

It is not local only. Again, any game starting at noon central is all good. Saturday's game is on the superstation.