Financial News

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
I suppose somehow you won't count having him be a medical doctor but not believing in Evolution. Or at least not believing in it all the time.

I might count it, but I need to see some evidence. So, you are saying he hates all doctors?

Strong, intense, and vehement applause.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- In a defiant display of executive power, President Barack Obama on Wednesday will buck GOP opposition and name Richard Cordray as the nation's chief consumer watchdog even though the Senate contends the move is inappropriate, senior administration officials told The Associated Press

With a director in place, the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will be able to start overseeing the mortgage companies, payday lenders, debt collectors and other financial companies often blamed for practices that helped tank the economy.

Obama's decision to make a recess appointment is certain to cause an uproar from Capitol Hill to Wall Street. He is essentially declaring the Senate's short off-and-on legislative sessions a sham intended to block his appointments.

The White House is expecting considerable criticism and perhaps a court challenge, but says Obama was left with little choice to get the consumer agency fully running after months of stalemate.

Acting right after Tuesday's GOP presidential caucuses in Iowa, Obama is seeking to grab attention and show voters that he will advocate for the middle class no matter what the opposition. It is his most bare-knuckle initiative so far in his campaign of taking action without waiting for Congress.

Obama planned to announce his decision later Wednesday during an economic event in Cordray's home state of Ohio, with Cordray along with him.

Cordray would take over the job later in the week and stand to serve for at least the next two years, covering the length of the Senate's session.

The President will also make recess appointments of 3 new members to the National Labor Relations Board. This is actually important...the Republicans had refused to consider any nominees to the board, and the board requires a 3 member minimum quorum to function. Starting this year, the NLRB would otherwise be shut down.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
The President will also make recess appointments of 3 new members to the National Labor Relations Board. This is actually important...the Republicans had refused to consider any nominees to the board, and the board requires a 3 member minimum quorum to function. Starting this year, the NLRB would otherwise be shut down.

Somewhat ironically, the SCOTUS case that speaker.gov is quoting as proof that the Obama administration argued that a 3-day recess is necessary is a case due to the NLRB making decisions with a two-person quorum of a delegated 3-person committee, and the question came up in relation to Congressional obstructionism and how it is forcing less-than-ideal situations.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
i think some people really think he runs over to the federal reserve/us mint and starts the presses himself.

He should. It would really help the economy out. Just drop it out of the Air Force 1 helicopter.

This is pretty surprising*: Republican Scott Brown endorses Obama's recess appoint.

I support President Obama’s appointment today of Richard Cordray to head the CFPB. I believe he is the right person to lead the agency and help protect consumers from fraud and scams. While I would have strongly preferred that it go through the normal confirmation process, unfortunately the system is completely broken. If we’re going to make progress as a nation, both parties in Washington need to work together to end the procedural gridlock and hyper-partisanship.

*before posting, I remembered that he's running against Warren and that the CFPB might be pretty popular in Mass.

Very encouraging, obviously the more accurate #s could be revised down in 2 months, but very encouraging. After 3 years from college, happy to say finally that all of my friends have jobs. That is, not barista jobs, either.

Link.

MF Global's bankruptcy trustee, Louis Freeh, has refused to turn over some documents to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), which is investigating what happened to an estimated $1.2 billion (774.6 million pounds) in missing customer funds, the Wall Street Journal said.

Freeh, a former director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and who represents MF Global's parent company, has asserted attorney-client privilege in deciding not to release certain documents to the CFTC, according to his office and people familiar with the matter, the Journal said.

The dispute is complicating efforts to learn how the firm lost the customer funds and to return the money to its owners and could slow the investigation, the Journal said, citing people familiar with the investigation

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Very encouraging, obviously the more accurate #s could be revised down in 2 months, but very encouraging. After 3 years from college, happy to say finally that all of my friends have jobs. That is, not barista jobs, either.

Strippers?