Financial News

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
Yup. See you in what, 3-4 months when this deal stops working out?

Who had 2 months, 10 days?

Talks between Greece and its creditor banks aimed at avoiding a disorderly default broke down on Friday, with Greeks warning of disastrous results if a bond swap deal is not reached soon.

This will of course be patched somehow, with the results being Greece's economy being forced to contract further, which will of course put us right back here again in a few months.

“We think the fundamentals of the expansion going forward still look good,” he said at the December 2006 meeting.

“We just don’t see troubling signs yet of collateral damage, and we’re not expecting much,”

And as a grace note to this sonata of obtuseness, here’s Geithner’s comment to Alan Greenspan at the February 2006 meeting at which Greenspan stepped down as Fed chairman: “I’d like the record to show I think you’re pretty terrific, too."

That's our good friend Timothy Geithner, discussing the Housing market in 2006 Federal Reserve board meetings (minutes recently released).

New jobless claims plunge:

Recovery winter: "In the week ending January 14, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 352,000, a decrease of 50,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 402,000. The 4-week moving average was 379,000, a decrease of 3,500 from the previous week's revised average of 382,500." The BLS also shows an increase in the workweek, which is a sign of a positive cyclical trend.

These are, to be fair, not great numbers. But they're okay numbers, numbers that are consistent with an improving labor market situation, and numbers that at least suggest a recovery that accelerating a little bit.

Mark Thoma with a nice take-down of Ari Fleischer's latest tweets that lament the (supposed) increased share of the tax burden that the wealthy have taken on in recent decades.

Ari Fleischer is trying to make you believe that taxes on the wealthy have risen, and that the increase in taxes is being used to fund tax reductions for lower income classes. However, when income gains are factored in the numbers tell a different story. This graph shows what has actually happened to the tax rates for the wealthy:

2-22-10tax-f1.jpg

The next time Ari Fleischer or any other political operative tries to make the case that the wealthy have experienced an increase in their tax burden, keep this graph in mind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Why should I express any interest at all in Ari Fleischer's twitter account?

Well it applies to a lot of the GOP rhetoric on taxation of the wealthy and how they supposedly bare some hugely unfair disproportionate burden, not just Ari. The main take-away is that the wealthy's share of the tax burden has risen slower than their share of income and any talk of record-high crushing taxation is simply dishonest.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
Moody's downgrades Illinois G.O debt from A2 to A1.

The WSJ had a nice article on Illinois' fiscal issues. I can't believe its bonds have the lowest rating.

Edit: lowest rating of all the states. I should have been more specific.

Edited by SuperSteve

Does anyone have any thoughts on the EZ fin mins rejecting a potential proposal on Greek bond haircuts. I guess they want to cap the replacement bonds under 4% (for 20-30 year bonds). Bloomberg had an article talking about hedge funds possibly suing over human rights violations since in the EU personal property rights fall under human rights.

What a wild situation.

I'm also curious to see anyones thoughts on the FOMC meetings this week. Citi's short-term interest rate guys put out some commentary concerning the rotation of voters (of the 12 Fed presidents) and the expected interest rate forecast. They looked at 2014 for any raise (.50% in Q2 of 2014).

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
I'm also curious to see anyones thoughts on the FOMC meetings this week. Citi's short-term interest rate guys put out some commentary concerning the rotation of voters (of the 12 Fed presidents) and the expected interest rate forecast. They looked at 2014 for any raise (.50% in Q2 of 2014).

Fed was dovish. Market seemed to like it though.