Need for Peavy: Does it Matter

Chisoxfn

Need for Peavy: Does it Matter?

By Mario Scalise

SoxNet

Heading into his fifth inning of work in his third rehab start, things were looking good for Jake Peavy and his pending return to the White Sox. He was throwing pain-free and like a guy ready to take the mound in New York this Saturday against the Yankees. And then he was hit with a line drive off his throwing elbow. He finished the inning, but you knew the swelling to follow would put the decision on his first start on hold. So now Saturday is up in the air. Fortunately, or unfortunately, it doesn't really...Rest of the Story

Awesome article Mario and to me it really is why it is so frustrating to be a White Sox fan right now. The club has filled all of its pre-season holes and continues to be a better team (on paper) yet the results have been the same month over month and it gets to the point that you really have to openly start to question the leadership of the club (and I’m not pointing at Ozzie, rather the veterans that have been here for a while).

The errors and poor baseball have just gotten absurd and its why the club has lost so many 1-run ball games. Leaving runs on the table is huge in those games and had the Sox done the little things (or as I call them, the routine things) they’d easily have at least 4-6 more wins, had the club held leads, they’d have another 4-6 wins and unfortunately they haven’t. They’ve been paid when it matters most and it gets sad and tiring because a lot of what they’ve been bad at should be routine.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
San Diego loves the trade.

No kidding, Richard has become a better pitcher in San Diego. I'd attribute SOME of that to his being in the weaker (offensively) league. I'll take a healthy Peavy over him any day, but Richard's got a nice future as the #2 pitcher in San Diego.

it's hard to point to peavy and say that he is the one who's going to make a significant tangible difference as it relates to the sox turning around their fortunes. at best he'll have six or seven starts to end the season and even if they are all quality starts there's no guarantee you win (see the past two nights).

i guess the only hope is for the intangible, that somehow his presence and attitude combined with solid pitching provides the spark that's been missing all year.