Ozzie, I've Put You On Notice

Steve9347

Sqwert why don't you try to educate the fan who posted that. It's pretty obvious to me he's a younger fan into the part of the game where fans can affect the outcome.

Might be helpful discussion rather than simply being smart about it.

If that fan isn't under 18 I'd be shocked. He has a right to his opinion.

My response to that post:

The Cardinal fans are no different than ours. I listed earlier this year when they wanted duncan's head ... again.

Then the starters got good again and the fans shut up.

The reality is big leaguers are millionaires and can handle what the fans dish out. I think it's bad taste when our fans decide they hate certain guys (Wise) when others deserve as much hate (could Rios please get a key hit? would Dotel and Liney and Pena just volunteer to go back to AAA for a while?) but that's just me.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Sqwert why don't you try to educate the fan who posted that. It's pretty obvious to me he's a younger fan into the part of the game where fans can affect the outcome.

Might be helpful discussion rather than simply being smart about it.

If that fan isn't under 18 I'd be shocked. He has a right to his opinion.

What the heck do the fans have to do with it? The park is typically close to full and the fans cheer when they play well. How is that any different than any other team and in any other sport? GMAFB

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
I don't want to see a Bobby Cox-like dynasty with Ozzie at the helm, but it's the players that aren't producing. This isn't the NFL, where the better coaches and coordinators "outsmart" the inferior ones. The Sox are sucking right now because the players aren't getting it done on the field, not because Ozzie isn't getting it done in the dugout or because Greg Walker isn't getting it done during pre-game BP.

Agreed. Making the playoffs 12 or however-many-it-was years in a row is not something I'd look forward to.

(could Rios please get a key hit? would Dotel and Liney and Pena just volunteer to go back to AAA for a while?) but that's just me.

According to that "kid", you shouldn't even complain about those things on a message board because the players come here and read all the negativity. That's why they're playing poorly. So please greg, stop complaining about the team in here so that we can start winning again.

Edited by BigSqwert

Hey Guys, just a message, make sure we stay on par here.

In terms of fan support, I think some of us are being a little too harsh if we don't think playing in front of a packed crowd cheering for you doesn't have a positive effect on a guy. You can talk to plenty of guys and they'll tell you how much better the experience is playing in front of a full-house at your home stadium getting cheered, etc.

But I don't think us as fans booing guys when they fail has an impact on the results. If they aren't getting the job done I don't fault anyone for booing them and it doesn't impact the resulst on the field (the key is that the fans are there and as a player you know if you do well and your playing in front of packed home houses, your going to get cheered).

If we thought fans mattered, than the Yankees would be perennial losers since they have the harshest baseball fans out there (yes, you New York...and Philly fans can piss off cause there just moody pricks, Yank fans will boo there star players).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
Agreed. Making the playoffs 12 or however-many-it-was years in a row is not something I'd look forward to.

LOL. 14 to be exact. I don't care how many titles they won. To get to October that many times in a row is the most impressive feat I've ever witnessed as a sports fan of almost 19 years.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
It would be a shame if Ozzie did not surpass Jerry Manuel in time spent as sox manager. There are quite a few people on this forum who know they would do a better job as sox manager. Anyone know how some of these message board posters can score an interview with KW?

Steve was spot-on in the other thread.

The only thing I don't like about Ozzie is he plays the Righty/Lefty Lefty/Righty matchup too much and does not let stats get in his way of telling a story, even if it tells him flat out he's putting a player in a position to succeed, be it pitcher or hitter. Other than that, he's a great manager, great at taking the blame, great at making sure his players don't get manhandled by the media. Honestly, there's not much better out there.

I really think the fault of the team playing "tight" is not on the manager....but rather the press and the fan base. When the city and the fan base is constantly saying "you suck" over and over, it puts a lot of pressure on the team and they tend to underperform.

The greatest example of this is the St Louis Cardinals. Over the years, they've gone through a lot of personnel in the clubhouse. They've been managed by Tony LaRussa for many years (who is far being laid back and loose). However, their fan base has always supported them, always been behind them, and (for the most part) not been critical. This results in players being loose and creating a a good environment (that may players really enjoy playing in).

If this team is ever to win another world series, it has to have a "loose" attitude again and become a clubhouse that players enjoy being a part of......however, I don't believe that atmosphere stems from the manager.....I believe it is created more by the fan base and the support (or lack of support) that it shows.

when you are good you know it and dont give one s*** about what people say about you. if anything it motivates you to perform better to stick it up those asses who didnt believe in you.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
LOL. 14 to be exact. I don't care how many titles they won. To get to October that many times in a row is the most impressive feat I've ever witnessed as a sports fan of almost 19 years.

I've got a couple Braves fans as friends from college and they rave about that but they said they wouldve been more then happy with half the trips and 3-4 rings.

Because of how they did it and how many times they did it - people remember them. It's rare to accomplish what they did and its amazing but odds of it happening for us are slim. I'd agree with them. I'd rather go 7-8 times in 14 years and win 3-4 and be competitive the other year.s