The Kenny Williams job approval/disapproval poll

whitesoxfan101

Kenny's turn  

88 members have voted

1. 1. My thoughts on Kenny Williams are:

• Keep him forever, we won the World Series under his guidance!
    • Be patient. We're bad now, but the future looks bright with our pitching rotation, farm system, and level of competition in the division
    • Fire him. He's done an awful job since 2005, and his gambling nature hurts our franchise
    • Ask me at the end of this season, I'm not sure yet.
    • He should be on the hot seat....next year.
    • Other

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
The Rios move was a TERRIBLE move.

Hey, if the White Sox are willing to keep spending, it's a great move. It cost no players.

Can't really make this point so bluntly until you know future payroll limitations. If theyre gonna keep adding talent, this will do. Offensive production out of the CF spot can be a whole heck of a lot lower than Alex Rios.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)

He got a 28 year old 5-tool player for no prospects. He took on the contract, alright. But, are you honestly going to b**** when Rios has the ability to put up a .800+ OPS and play a stellar CF while making $11 million a year?

We're going to have him in the middle of his prime. He might not be hitting now, but he hasn't hit well all year. It's just a bad year for him in terms of luck.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Hey, if the White Sox are willing to keep spending, it's a great move. It cost no players.

Can't really make this point so bluntly until you know future payroll limitations. If theyre gonna keep adding talent, this will do. Offensive production out of the CF spot can be a whole heck of a lot lower than Alex Rios.

Paying that much for that long for Alex Rios is very bad value, even if we have unlimited funds. He is nowhere near the player that contract says he is, and we volunteered to pick him up.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
He got a 28 year old 5-tool player for no prospects. He took on the contract, alright. But, are you honestly going to b**** when Rios has the ability to put up a .800+ OPS and play a stellar CF while making $11 million a year?

We're going to have him in the middle of his prime. He might not be hitting now, but he hasn't hit well all year. It's just a bad year for him in terms of luck.

I'm just not seeing it with Rios, 11 million a year for several years for a guy with a lot of baggage and isn't hitting isn't an attractive idea to me. I voted for the be patient option in this poll, but that move and the Brandon Allen trade did Kenny no favors this season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)

Both are TBD. Rios needs a season as the actual starting CF before I call anything on that, he could easily return to the player he was in Toronto. And I want to know what Peavy's condition is for the next couple years, let alone right now, before I call on that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Paying that much for that long for Alex Rios is very bad value, even if we have unlimited funds. He is nowhere near the player that contract says he is, and we volunteered to pick him up.

It got us our CF that we've been looking for since we traded Rowand. Danks2 won't be ready for another couple years, same with Mitchell, and me might wind up at a corner anyways. Yea, Rios is overpayed but he's still a talented player in his prime. Did you want to see Pods in CF next season?

The Pena trade was the only move Kenny made that I've disliked since the first Swisher trade. And those two deals are the only bad moves I can think of that he's made since the Contreras extension, which at the time made sense because they were coming off a World Championship and Count looked like an ace.

Kenny's biggest problem aside from those things was the CF situation, but now that we have Rios I think we're in great shape as far as CF goes. In fact, Kenny's best moves over the last couple of years may have been his dodging bullets on contracts he offered to Hunter and Fukudome in an attempt to fix the CF situation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Both are TBD. Rios needs a season as the actual starting CF before I call anything on that, he could easily return to the player he was in Toronto. And I want to know what Peavy's condition is for the next couple years, let alone right now, before I call on that.

I still like the Peavy move. And WSF1986, no I don't want to see Pods in CF next year, but I also don't want to see Rios for 11 million dollars out there for the next several.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
I still like the Peavy move. And WSF1986, no I don't want to see Pods in CF next year, but I also don't want to see Rios for 11 million dollars out there for the next several.

Who would you rather see out there and for what price?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)

I'm just not seeing it with Rios, 11 million a year for several years for a guy with a lot of baggage and isn't hitting isn't an attractive idea to me. I voted for the be patient option in this poll, but that move and the Brandon Allen trade did Kenny no favors this season.

With not much ready on the farm, the other options for CF, like it or not are worse. Acquire young cheap guy who has little in the way of a bat? Get another LF/RF and squeeze him into a CF role in exchange for his OBP?

I'm fine with paying 11M for a guy who gives you defense and speed, and gives the lower part of the order some XBH potential. If spending is totally finished now, then maybe it's a misuse of funds. But I'm not hating the thought of getting a guy who's 28 with a past record of success and a low BABIP this yr.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Who would you rather see out there and for what price?

That's the problem of us not developing a CF of our own or not picking one up the last few winters, the CF crop this winter sucks if i remember correctly (I think Mike Cameron is the best guy). But just because of that doesn't mean you make a move like picking up Rios. Perhaps the orgainzation thought Rios was the best option, but if that is your best option, all things considered, you have done an awful job at that position. And by picking up his money, it hinders us from fixing positions on the team where there is more help readily available on the free agent market.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
That's the problem of us not developing a CF of our own or not picking one up the last few winters, the CF crop this winter sucks if i remember correctly (I think Mike Cameron is the best guy). But just because of that doesn't mean you make a move like picking up Rios. Perhaps the orgainzation thought Rios was the best option, but if that is your best option, all things considered, you have done an awful job at that position.

Yes, we have done an awful job at that position. But that's how baseball works...sometimes your guy at a position or two fails. The ideal result would be...you have a guy or two who fail, but you also have a good number of guys (let's say Beckham, Quentin, Danks, Floyd, maybe Ramirez, Getz, Flowers) who succeed and are cheap. Thus, you look at the spots where people failed and you use your money to fix those spots. That's exactly what we did with Rios. And it didn't cost us a draft pick.

Rios has been bad this yr but it's possible he can rebound next yr and at least we don't have to wonder who's playing CF for awhile.

I really believe Kenny's gonna get Figgins, play him at 3B and switch Beckham to SS with Alexei back to 2B. I also see him signing back Thome (We need some Lefty Thunder) and letting Dye go (Dye's last two 2nd halves have been awful and Figgins fills the leadoff spot perfectly.) He can maybe sign back Pods to bat in the 2-hole and play SOME LF with him gone by the 7th inning.

Otherwise, I have lots of faith in Kenny to make us a better ballclub next yr.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)

TOOL may be the operative term when describing Rios..he was a dog in toronto and based on this small sample size in a Sox uniform, I see no change in that status for us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
The poll choices are awful FWIW. There is absolutely no recognition for the people who believe that Kenny did his job well and it was the players that failed.

I think we need a wsf101 poster approval poll, because these haven't been very good so far.

This.

I would like to see Kenny given a shot at restructuring this team. He obviously can find talent and make good moves, but his last two moves are not looking good...Pena is garbage and we gave up a fine power hitting spect for him and Peavy is currently damaged goods (now he has elbow issues).

You can't win them all, but both those trades have done absolutely NOTHING for this team this year and both moves mortaged the future.

That all said, I think the writing is on the wall and Kenny knows it's time to move a bunch of players out, getting younger and more exciting. This team has 'run its course'. It was a good run, but time to cut bait on numerous players on this roster.

Edited by kwolf68

The results may not be great right now (though I refuse to admit we're done), however, if they fired Kenny I'd slit my wrists. I've never seen a GM care more about winning than Kenny Williams, and I'm glad he gives it his best shot regardless of the situation.

We're f***ing lucky to have him on our side.

:gosox3: