Dye, Thome, Linebrink + others Available

Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
Are you a jackass? Seriously, I understand I'm making a personal attack but my god, the team was barely out of 1st place and they acquired Jake Peavy. Why would they have moved Dye/Thome. That would have been suicide to the fan base and the waiving of a white flag. JR would never do that again after the PR hit the club took.

It appears the jackasses around here are the people who were saying I was crazy all July for saying we should be in sell mode. You all were proven wrong, but I enjoy the fact you are reverting to personal attacks rather than admitting it. Great example to set as a moderator. :headbang

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
You know what's worse business? Not doing what's best for the long term interest of the franchise just because a mediocre division is keeping you close in the race. Now, we're not in the playoffs and are going to get nothing but hit or miss draft picks or nothing trade packages for our veterans who have collapse down the stretch.

It appears the jackasses around here are the people who were saying I was crazy all July for saying we should be in sell mode. You all were proven wrong, but I enjoy the fact you are reverting to personal attacks rather than admitting it. Great example to set as a moderator. :headbang

I'm not just a mod, I'm the owner and when I see someone making absolutely ignorant statements I'll call him out for it. I don't care what you want to say, the stupidest thing the club could have done at that point was to sell everything (and this is coming from the same jackass, me, who wanted to sell the team in May).

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
Per Marc Silverman's Facebook

Marc Silverman According to Buster Olney, Sox sent out league wide memo that they're willing to talk trade for most vets by midnight tonight. Dye, Thome, etc.

So be it

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:04 PM)
I'm not just a mod, I'm the owner and when I see someone making absolutely ignorant statements I'll call him out for it. I don't care what you want to say, the stupidest thing the club could have done at that point was to sell everything (and this is coming from the same jackass, me, who wanted to sell the team in May).

The only ignorance around here was people believing this team had a chance at being anything just because they beat up on some NL teams in June and were in the race because the AL Central is an absolute joke. Certainly, it would have been difficult to trade away the dinosaurus when we were only 3 games back or whatever it was at the deadline, even I will admit that much. But the fact is this team isn't good, has never been good, and now our long term prospects have taken a hit because we kept the old guys around for a race that was over before the month of September even started.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)
You know what's worse business? Not doing what's best for the long term interest of the franchise just because a mediocre division is keeping you close in the race. Now, we're not in the playoffs and are going to get nothing but hit or miss draft picks or nothing trade packages for our veterans who have collapse down the stretch.

I don't see how it could have been good for financial support of the franchise selling off when you're only 1 or 2 games back.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
The only ignorance around here was people believing this team had a chance at being anything just because they beat up on some NL teams in June and were in the race because the AL Central is an absolute joke. Certainly, it would have been difficult to trade away the dinosaurus when we were only 3 games back or whatever it was at the deadline, but the fact is this team isn't good, has never been good, and now our long term prospects have taken a hit because we kept the old guys around for a race that was over before the month of September even started.

What long-term prospects were hurt? The Sox got Peavy and Rios for the next few years. So whatever we gave up for them can't be blamed and I find it hard pressed that Thome would have waived his no-trade clause to leave Chicago when the Sox were 2-3 games out of it (not to mention the PR impact, which again, would never be done again after the fiasco that was the White Flag trade, PR wise).

Who are the Sox not playing? Danks has struggled down in AAA so he really isn't missing ab's. I guess you could say that FLowers should have been up or maybe Hudson but the reality is additional time in the minors was beneficial to them.

SO I really don't see what the Sox held back on? And I have a ton of doubts that the Sox would have gotten a ton for Dye if in fact it is true and his contract becomes guaranteed for next year if he's moved (I think we might get one good prospect if we move a Dye/Thome/Dotel). So I really am not seeing what long term prospects have taken a hit because of this?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:01 PM)

Out of hiding for this one.

He's not saying anything about whether or not the pieces on this team are good enough to make a run. He's explaining why it is bad business to sell early while so close in a division race. That's evident in his comparison to the white flag trade. Nobody cares if you predicted this team would fall apart - it doesn't make you look smart. Jackass is the proper term here, because that's what you look like.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
I don't see how it could have been good for financial support of the franchise selling off when you're only 1 or 2 games back.

Well that's the problem, and the reason teams don't make white flag trades. What is best on the field isn't always best in the seats, and the fact that fans have so much power (at least in this case) can prove to be a really bad thing for franchises. The Sox would have been better off if the Tigers had played well and ran away and hid from everybody else in the month of June. Could have traded away veterans, and the fans wouldn't have got any more pissed since the Sox would have been 10 out anyways. It's not like attendance has been great this year anyways, so it wouldn't have hurt it that much in all likelihood.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
if peavy has a elbow problem that requires surgery that would be the worst scenario in many many years.

Given the history of pitchers who leave games with "elbow tightness" this is the most likely scenario. The last 4 pitchers that I remember leaving a game with that listed injury were Liriano, Anibal Sanchez, Carpenter, and Wagner. They all had TJ surgery after their MRIs.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Konerko is the only one with value they can really deal for a return.. and i wouldn't mind it if we got rid of his contract. bring back thome next year and let dye go. sign a stud 1b/or LF and have Kotsay/Pods fill in.

It might be hard to put a Paulie deal together so fast, but I think he'll be gone, along with THome and Dye. Sox are going to change there veteran presence in the lineup and my guess is AJP will be the new captain.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
It might be hard to put a Paulie deal together so fast, but I think he'll be gone, along with THome and Dye. Sox are going to change there veteran presence in the lineup and my guess is AJP will be the new captain.

AJP would be a awesome captain.. atleast we'd have some more fire in this team. i can't stand konerko's post game interviews with his cheesy answers on why they lose.. dye looks miserable/tired out there and Thome's age is really starting to catch up to his bat/body it seems.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)

Eat a couple mil and send him to the Braves. Then call up... oh wait. Nevermind. [heavy sarcasm]Maybe we can get Casey Kotchman for him?[heavy sarcasm]

But yeah, if we move Paulie we need something other than the likes of Josh Kroeger, Aubrey Huff, or Kevin Millar to put there.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
AJP would be a awesome captain.. atleast we'd have some more fire in this team. i can't stand konerko's post game interviews with his cheesy answers on why they lose.. dye looks miserable/tired out there and Thome's age is really starting to catch up to his bat/body it seems.

The Sox are going away from the guys who have extended hot and cold streaks so they can be a more consistent team. While Thome walks consistently he doesn't hit consistently and ultimate I figure that will be the reason he's gone. That said he's a very good veteran and provides some things that no one else on the roster can provide (good OBP, tons of power from the left side).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Paulie will be dealt, assuming my memory is serving me correct and he only has 2010 left on his contract. He's not exactly what he once was, but he still has some sort of value I would think, even if minimal.

He also has 10-and-5 rights, and I believe that Thome has a limited NTC clause that severely restricts where he can be traded.

I don't see either of these guys getting dealt within the next 24 hours.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
Eat a couple mil and send him to the Braves. Then call up... oh wait. Nevermind. [heavy sarcasm]Maybe we can get Casey Kotchman for him?[heavy sarcasm]

But yeah, if we move Paulie we need something other than the likes of Josh Kroeger, Aubrey Huff, or Kevin Millar to put there.

Viciedo is the 1st base prospect of the future. It is why Allen was much more expendable than some would have liked. Beckham is the 3b of the present and future. Ramirez the SS of the present and future.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:18 PM)
He also has 10-and-5 rights, and I believe that Thome has a limited NTC clause that severely restricts where he can be traded.

I don't see either of these guys getting dealt within the next 24 hours.

I think Paulie will be dealt in the winter. For some reason, I have a hunch he'll allow a trade, although not just to anywhere, which unfortunately restricits his value and the amount of potential teams. Thome won't be dealt, he'll just be gone after the year. Might even retire.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
I think Paulie will be dealt in the winter. For some reason, I have a hunch he'll allow a trade, although not just to anywhere, which unfortunately restricits his value and the amount of potential teams. Thome won't be dealt, he'll just be gone after the year. Might even retire.

Paulie has always said he woudln't get in the way of a trade if it is in the best interest of the Sox (I'm sure he has a few places he wouldn't want to go, but if the Sox were sending him to a quality franchise he's a-ok with it).