Sox at Twins September 1st game thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Any chance the trades somehow spark this team to go on a tear?

crazier s***'s happened. That'd be right up there with the craziest of the crazy, but it's not THE craziest. I'd rate Seattle in 95 and Colorado in 07 as crazier.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
Why the f*** did we get Rios if he's not in CF?

There's no logic to most of what Ozzie does. This is yet another example of it. Also, why is Rios batting below Getz? Furthermore, why is Alexei batting below Getz?

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
Why the f*** did we get Rios if he's not in CF?

Agree. Ozzie could play the same guys and have the same batting order with Rios in CF, Quentin or Pods in LF, Dye or Quentin in RF, and Dye or Pods or Quentin as DH. Mix and match however you want, but keep Rios (not Pods) in CF. Rios is our best fielding CF - why not play him there?

Now that Thome is gone and Dye will be DHing more, I'd like to see Quentin in RF on occasion, as that may be where he ends up after the upcoming offseason.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Agree. Ozzie could play the same guys and have the same batting order with Rios in CF, Quentin or Pods in LF, Dye or Quentin in RF, and Dye or Pods or Quentin as DH. Mix and match however you want, but keep Rios (not Pods) in CF. Rios is our best fielding CF - why not play him there?

Now that Thome is gone and Dye will be DHing more, I'd like to see Quentin in RF on occasion, as that may be where he ends up after the upcoming offseason.

Makes way too much sense.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)

Baffles me too constantly. Maybe Rios' attitude didn't impress Oz right away. He's been sitting just about half the time and doing next to nothing when he's playing. He's just up there hacking like he doesn't have a clue.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Baffles me too constantly. Maybe Rios' attitude didn't impress Oz right away. He's been sitting just about half the time and doing next to nothing when he's playing. He's just up there hacking like he doesn't have a clue.

Agree, Rios's at bats have been timid, tentative, scared, etc. But his fielding has been very strong, and his range is excellent. With Rios we actually have a CF who, with the reads he gets off the bat coupled with his speed, actually runs into the RF and LF on many balls (yes, this has even caused errors, but it's a good problem to have, and will straighten itself out over time). It's been a long while since centerfield has been covered as well as what Rios can do.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Agree, Rios's at bats have been timid, tentative, scared, etc. But his fielding has been very strong, and his range is excellent. With Rios we actually have a CF who, with the reads he gets off the bat coupled with his speed, actually runs into the RF and LF on many balls (yes, this has even caused errors, but it's a good problem to have, and will straighten itself out over time). It's been a long while since centerfield has been covered as well as what Rios can do.

Contrary to what Ozzie says, his actions over the years indicate that he does not value defense very highly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
I knew this would happen. This totally devalues him.

It sure does ! Rios has got to show he can hit before the season ends even if he does have a pretty good track record of hitting. Appears as if the thinking on the Sox is " If we're not going to make the playoffs , might as well sink as low as we can and get a better draft choice" though i know that's totally asinine.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
Bummer - no Flowers and Pods is in CF:

Podsednik cf

Beckham 3b

Pierzynski c

Konerko 1b

Dye dh

Quentin lf

Getz 2b

Rios rf

Ramirez ss

This lineup is wrong, according to Reifert.

His post: pods8, beckham5, aj2, pk3, jd dh, q 7, ram6, rios9, nix4. Danks pitching.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
We should get into a big ass fight. That might be the only thing that can wake this team up.

I love this idea. I want to see Johnny Danks hit Justin Morneau in the face with a 94mph fastball. Then I want the benches to empty with the Twins players kicking the majority of the Sox players' asses. Beckham, Rios, Floyd, Danks, Buehrle, and Thornton can stay out of it. And DJ Carrasco and Peavy too, if he's there. I'd say keep AJ out of the fray but he's our biggest weapon. The rest of them can fight to the death. And give Flowers some more steroids so he can go on a rampage, breaking his bat into shards and then stabbing Carlos Gomez with it about 47 times. And get Jim Ross to replace Hawk. Stoney and his teenage wife can head on back to Taco Bell for all I care. I hate this team.