Sox at Twins September 1st game thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1-8 on the trip from hell. Good job, Sox.

Either those of us who picked 2-8 will be correct, or those who went with 1-9.

Can Cleveland catch us? That is the question.

One month of baseball to go. You must be proud Kenny and Oz; very proud of your "lay over and die-ers."

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Ground ball through the infield + ground ball through the infield + blooper over the infield and the Twins get their winning run.

This perfectly illustrates the primary reason why we lose in the Metrodome. It's not a baseball stadium - it's a track meet. Visualize a track circling the field, with the fastest team winning. Speed is what counts in the Metrodome, not how hard you hit the ball.

Almost any ball hit further than 200 feet that doesn't clear the outfield wall will be caught by the other team, if they have speedy outfielders. The way you score runs is to get runners on base by infield hits, ground balls through the infield, and bloopers over the infield, and an occasional home run. The Twins know this, and have shaped their roster and lineup accordingly.

The Sox in the past have been way too slow to win in the Metrodome. Tonight's lineup was faster than most that we've put out their in recent years, and we came close, but still the Twins got their cheap hits and run to win.

The good news is that when the Twins move to Target next year, and have to play on a cold, wet real grass field for much of the year, it will negate their speed, and their power deficiencies will become very evident. The batting averages of all their speedsters will drop by 20 to 40 points, and some of them (hopefully Gomez) will get cut. The Twins are going to have to seriously revamp their roster, or they won't be competitive at all in 2010. They will look as bad as they do when they come to US Cellular or play on the road, where they have a poor record.

Meanwhile, thankfully, there's just one more game for us there, and we get them for three more games on real grass, as God intended.

You make some great points here, but I think you are also shortchanging the Twinkies a bit too. We've only hit 13 more home runs than they have this season. In my opinion, they have been gradually adjusting to the day they will open their ballpark by sticking with guys like Cuddyer and Kubel. Next season they will probably match us in home runs.

Even still, they have no business competing with us. Considering what has happened to their starting rotation, their bullpen, and the fact that Gomez and Punto suck against every other team, how are they ahead of us in the standings? Because they are younger, hungrier, and not convinced they'll lose before the game even begins.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Ground ball through the infield + ground ball through the infield + blooper over the infield and the Twins get their winning run.

This perfectly illustrates the primary reason why we lose in the Metrodome. It's not a baseball stadium - it's a track meet. Visualize a track circling the field, with the fastest team winning. Speed is what counts in the Metrodome, not how hard you hit the ball.

Almost any ball hit further than 200 feet that doesn't clear the outfield wall will be caught by the other team, if they have speedy outfielders. The way you score runs is to get runners on base by infield hits, ground balls through the infield, and bloopers over the infield, and an occasional home run. The Twins know this, and have shaped their roster and lineup accordingly.

The Sox in the past have been way too slow to win in the Metrodome. Tonight's lineup was faster than most that we've put out their in recent years, and we came close, but still the Twins got their cheap hits and run to win.

The good news is that when the Twins move to Target next year, and have to play on a cold, wet real grass field for much of the year, it will negate their speed, and their power deficiencies will become very evident. The batting averages of all their speedsters will drop by 20 to 40 points, and some of them (hopefully Gomez) will get cut. The Twins are going to have to seriously revamp their roster, or they won't be competitive at all in 2010. They will look as bad as they do when they come to US Cellular or play on the road, where they have a poor record.

Meanwhile, thankfully, there's just one more game for us there, and we get them for three more games on real grass, as God intended.

They have an advantage at home but not a 15-2 which is what they are vs. the White Sox the last 17 games there advantage. The entire White Sox organization has been resigned to losing there for a long time. If you think you are going to lose, you will probably lose. Most of these losses haven't been because they are playing in a dome, but because the White Sox screw up basic baseball or the Twins execute. The Twins aren't very good on the road, but they have a better road record than the White Sox. KW has a lot of work to do if he's serious about another World Series.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
You make some great points here, but I think you are also shortchanging the Twinkies a bit too. We've only hit 13 more home runs than they have this season. In my opinion, they have been gradually adjusting to the day they will open their ballpark by sticking with guys like Cuddyer and Kubel. Next season they will probably match us in home runs.

Even still, they have no business competing with us. Considering what has happened to their starting rotation, their bullpen, and the fact that Gomez and Punto suck against every other team, how are they ahead of us in the standings? Because they are younger, hungrier, and not convinced they'll lose before the game even begins.

I didn't realize the home run count for the Sox and Twins is so close. I know we've been down this year, with the primary culprits being our aging sluggers and Q's injury, which kept him out of the lineup for much of the year. Plus the cold weather for much of the year has reduced the Cell's homer production rate.

I absolutely agree that the Twins come out very hungry against us in their building. Does Gomez play with the same look in his eyes against other teams? Against us in the dome, he's Ty Cobb. Ughh. Like I said, I hope Gardy cuts him next year.

I am really worried about this Rios pick up. The dude can play stellar D, but he can't hit a lick. Didn't we have that with BA for a much cheaper cost? He seems to be pulling everything.

Pena is garbage. Between him and Linebrink they must have lost at least 10-12 games by now.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
I am really worried about this Rios pick up. The dude can play stellar D, but he can't hit a lick. Didn't we have that with BA for a much cheaper cost? He seems to be pulling everything.

Pena is garbage. Between him and Linebrink they must have lost at least 10-12 games by now.

u cant compare rios to ba lol hes 10x the player. hes just really struggling. he'll be fine next yr and i expect the same from cq

We have so many bad relief pitchers it is amazing.

We simply have to release Pena and Liney and Williams and trade Dotel. Please don't bring them back. They all suck.

It's just money, which we had no problem throwing Rios (Mr. Oh-fer) way.

Edited by greg775