2016 Olympics

QUOTE (Nixon @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
I think a lot of credit goes to Madrid's bid making this difficult rather than any deficiency in the American bid.

Credit goes the the former IOC president and his "death bed plea."

It's weird. I don't care that Chicago didn't get it, but it bothers me that they were eliminated first, as if it makes any difference.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
I don't think this was about Chicago, but more about Rio. I think they really want to get in going in South America. Which is nice, but the jobs in Chicago would have been nice. I personally know people that would have benefited from this.

If Chicago got knocked out in the finals I'd agree. but this was not about Rio. It was about making sure Chicago didn't get it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Here's an idea, take that millions of dollars you were getting from private entities and do something productive... fix the damn school.

This doesn't make any sense, the private donations are as good as gone.

it's just kind of an example to me of how the world views the U.S. They expect us to support basically everything with our consumers and money, be it from very serious things such as disasters to things like the olympics, but dont dare ask for or expect anything in return. The world still views us as such, even with Barak as president.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Olympic Profit > Helping the lowly poor.

How do you draw this conclusion? This profit, this money, even if at net even, would've put a lot of money in a lot of blue collar workers pockets.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
If Chicago got knocked out in the finals I'd agree. but this was not about Rio. It was about making sure Chicago didn't get it.

I think alot of people were going to vote for either Rio or Chicago. I just think they all chose Rio and Chicago gets left behind. Now if Madrid wins, than I'm clueless.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Credit goes the the former IOC president and his "death bed plea."

That definitely put them over the top I think. The prime minister's presentation was also very good and not in the same rah rah rah go team vein as all the other heads of state. I think 85% of the infrastructure for this would already be in place too, though Brazil's big stadium will be renovated for World Cup 2014 so I suspect all of that will be up to snuff in time too.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
I think alot of people were going to vote for either Rio or Chicago. I just think they all chose Rio and Chicago gets left behind. Now if Madrid wins, than I'm clueless.

If Madrid wins, they need to re-think how host cities are selected.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (Nixon @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
That definitely put them over the top I think. The prime minister's presentation was also very good and not in the same rah rah rah go team vein as all the other heads of state. I think 85% of the infrastructure for this would already be in place too, though Brazil's big stadium will be renovated for World Cup 2014 so I suspect all of that will be up to snuff in time too.

I do wonder if Brazil's estimate is 15 bill, if that's realistic, or if it's going to balloon. They have a ton of infrastructure work to do. They have a ton of cleaning up to do. It's going to be interesting.

Luckily for Brazil, they kind of just faced zero growth as opposed to a dip in the recession. They were poised pretty well through this debacle besides a minor currency crisis.

I'm not exactly surprised that Chicago wasn't selected, but the first round elimination was a surprise. I'm not sure how to feel. I find the summer olympics to be rather boring, at least in comparison to the winter games. It would have been somewhat cool for it to happen in Chicago. But could you imagine the circus during that time?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
So what is Chicago's future in all this. Do they ever make a bid again or was this a one time thing?

it'll probably be a while.

Pisses me off that Atlanta can secure an olympic bid and we can't. Atlanta sucks.