2016 Olympics

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, I think he's talking about 45,000 deaths a year from lack of health insurance vs. a couple hundred million that would die in nuclear holocaust...

I'm good!!!

(edit: I was writing this while he posted his response...i'm still awesome)

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
How many would be killed in a nuclear war at what speed versus how many are killed by the health care crisis at what speed.

OK. Now I understand the point. But you still seemed to have missed mine - I wasn't saying Health Care was like the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was pointing out the other parallels in the events at hand. But now that you have overanalyzed it to death, I give up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
OK. Now I understand the point. But you still seemed to have missed mine - I wasn't saying Health Care was like the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was pointing out the other parallels in the events at hand. But now that you have overanalyzed it to death, I give up.

It's what I do.

Obama writes letter to IOC

Obama says U.S. would welcome world

LONDON -- President Barack Obama has written to International Olympic Committee members promising the United States would "welcome the world with open arms" if Chicago is awarded the 2016 Summer Games.

"The City of Chicago is designed to host global celebrations and it will deliver a spectacular Olympic experience for one and all," Obama said in a letter to IOC members that was obtained by The Associated Press.

As President, I see the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games as an extraordinary opportunity for America to renew our bonds of friendship and welcome the world to our shores with open arms. If you honor Chicago with your selection, we will ensure that the Olympic and Paralympic Games are a key priority for our nation.

-- Excerpt from President Obama's letter

The 338-word typed form letter, dated Sept. 10, is addressed to individual members and bears the signature of the president. It raises the possibility of Obama going to Copenhagen to push the Chicago bid at the Oct. 2 vote.

Chicago -- seeking to host the first Summer Olympics on American soil since the 1996 Atlanta Games -- is in a tight contest with Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo and Madrid.

"I deeply appreciate the tremendous work of the Olympic Movement and wish to convey my strong support for Chicago 2016," Obama said in the letter, citing the "transformative power" of the Olympics to unite people.

Obama, who served as a senator from Illinois and calls Chicago home, said he has supported the city's Olympic bid since it was launched in 2006.

"As President, I see the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games as an extraordinary opportunity for America to renew our bonds of friendship and welcome the world to our shores with open arms," he said. "If you honor Chicago with your selection, we will ensure that the Olympic and Paralympic Games are a key priority for our nation."

Farrey: Health Care and 2016 Bid

What's in play with Chicago's bid for the 2016 Olympics? It might be health care reform, Tom Farrey writes. Story

Obama noted that he has already established a White House office of Olympic and youth sport.

"You can count on our government to support Chicago's quest to host an unforgettable event and strengthen the Olympic movement," he said. "I believe we have an historic opportunity to do great things together, and I look forward to discussing that opportunity with you, if not in Copenhagen, then soon thereafter if Chicago is your choice."

The letter is dated a day before the White House announced that Obama was unable to commit to going to Copenhagen because of the health care debate, and that he was sending first lady Michelle Obama to lead the Chicago delegation.

Since then, the White House has left open the possibility that Obama will make a last-minute decision to join his wife in Copenhagen. An advance White House team has traveled to the Danish capital to make preparations for a possible presidential trip.

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and Spanish King Juan Carlos have said they will be in Copenhagen for the vote. Tokyo's bid organizers are urging new Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama to attend.

Silva, in a letter to IOC members dated Sept. 15, stressed his "total commitment" to Rio's bid and cited the candidacy's strongest case -- that South America has never held the Olympics.

The bid "carries the hopes of our country's youth -- and certainly of South America's youth -- to enjoy the lasting legacy of the Olympic and Paralympic Games for the first time," the letter, obtained by the AP, said in Portuguese.

Silva said the Games would serve as "extraordinary catalysts of the continuous social transformation of our country."

Brazil has offered all the necessary financial guarantees and approved a budget specifically for the Olympics, he said.

"I am motivated more than ever so that we, Brazilians, can work with the IOC to host games that will be unique in celebration, legacy and opportunities," Silva said. "I anxiously await for the opportunity to meet you in October in Copenhagen."

I cant believe that any self respecting Chicagoan would support a site that basically is stating Rio is a better city than Chicago.

I personally think Chicago is one of the greatest cities in the world and whenever given the opportunity has delivered amazing world spectacles (The 2 Chicago Worlds Fairs).

But hey if you want to support a website that states Chicago's nickname, Second City, is worse than Rio's nickname. Or that Chicago history is a "rail yard", go ahead.

You wont find me there. I live in Chicago, and I am 100% in support of a Chicago Olympics.

Edited by Soxbadger

Well considering I live in Chicago, that should be a testament to the fact I believe it is the best city in the world. Ive never been to Rio, but that wasnt exactly the point of my post. It was to say that if you are going to make a website about Rio being better, at least give Chicago its due. I wouldnt create a site about Rio and say that its history is "crime" or other negative comments. I would create a site where I pitched for my city, but at the same time acknowledged that the other cities are great.

You can say Im in the minority, Im not really sure where that comes from. Most people I talk to want the Olympics, and the people who generally are negative are more against Daley etc, then the actual Olympics.

But go ahead and promote website that's sole purpose is to try and say Chicago isnt a great city. That is your call.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
And BTW you're in the minority. Most Chicagoans don't want the Olympics here.

I want them as far away from Chicago as possible, but it seems like everyone I talk to thinks I'm an idiot and says how awesome it would be if the Olympics were in Chicago

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Yeah every "poll".

Polling is a really inexact science. Unless I saw how they were running the polls, random phone calls, etc., its hard to make any real argument.

From the people I know its mainly positive, but thats just my poll.

Eww

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
If Chicago gets them, the support will skyrocket (imo). I just think many people dont want to be upset if Chicago doesnt get them.

It's also just like anything else out there in politics...the longer something's hanging out there and being debated, the worse its polling numbers get.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
It would mean a hell of a lot of money flowing in for infastructure. But I guess that's "bad"... with that said corruption of the flow money would be rampant.

My dream would be for Chicago to win the games, and for somehow Daley to not be Mayor during the years leading up to the games.