2016 Olympics

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife and I have already decided to rent out our house (be that the one we currently own or any future purchase) to some crazy Europeans for those two weeks. You can make mad money doing such a thing.

After paying for the repairs to your home after said renting (crazy Europeans, I tell ya) the net profit can be between $10-$15k! Given the fact we know inflation is going to rape us all in like three years, who knows what those figures could be!

CRAZY EUROPEANS I TELL YA

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
The wife and I have already decided to rent out our house (be that the one we currently own or any future purchase) to some crazy Europeans for those two weeks. You can make mad money doing such a thing.

After paying for the repairs to your home after said renting (crazy Europeans, I tell ya) the net profit can be between $10-$15k! Given the fact we know inflation is going to rape us all in like three years, who knows what those figures could be!

CRAZY EUROPEANS I TELL YA

The dollar ought to be pretty worthless by then so get some Euros!

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
I'm not against it, I fkn want it. People need to realize how much of a hold Daley does have on the city. He is heavily involved in this process as well and he probably did underestimate the cost. It doesn't stop me from wanting the Olympics

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
That's my biggest issue. The city and county are run so well as it is, I see no way that the taxpayers dont end up footing the bill for a lot of it

I said this before, this is NOT an event run by the City of Chicago. Its run on its own, the budgets are made by the people running it, etc. Yes, of course Daley plays a role, and will do everything he can to make it what he wants it to be. But this is NOT RUN BY THE CITY OF CHICAGO.

It may or may not stick to budget, but history says it will likely be in the ballpark, and the city council and state legislature are working out safety nets as well. There are lots of things to worry about here, but having Daley (who wants this to be the last feather in his cap) bloat it to death should not be very high on your list.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
From what I've been told, Rio is currently in the lead with Chicago a close 2nd, followed by Madrid and Tokyo. Tokyo has a VERY slim chance.

By whom???

And the IOC doesn't have the stones to give it to Rio. They are trying to scare Chicago into getting their s*** together. Madrid is too close to Barcelona (I mean, timing-wise). South America will get the Olympics, but they aren't ready yet.

Plus, this would be one FANTASTIC way to stick it to NY. "Oh, YOU guys lost to London for the 2012 games...that sucks. Did we mention we got the 2016 Games? How'd you like THEM Big Apples?!"

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
By whom???

And the IOC doesn't have the stones to give it to Rio. They are trying to scare Chicago into getting their s*** together. Madrid is too close to Barcelona (I mean, timing-wise). South America will get the Olympics, but they aren't ready yet.

Plus, this would be one FANTASTIC way to stick it to NY. "Oh, YOU guys lost to London for the 2012 games...that sucks. Did we mention we got the 2016 Games? How'd you like THEM Big Apples?!"

Madrid was criticized for not understanding the scale of the games, which is a bad sign, but more importantly, they won't do 2 straight summer games in Europe (2012 in London). Tokyo applies every damn cycle, and Japan just had the winter olympics recently. Those two have no chance.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)

Meh. The IOC was pretty set on giving it to Europe for those games anyways it seems. I don't really see it as equal scenarios.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Meh. The IOC was pretty set on giving it to Europe for those games anyways it seems. I don't really see it as equal scenarios.

In 2004-2005, the anti-American sentiment in Europe and other places was at its peak. That probably played a role as well.

For the infastructure and infusion of funds to the city, I do not see how you could not want them.....

I also think before all is said and done. The funding for an indoor stadium that the cubs and Sox will both use periodically as well will be built to get Superbowls, the Final Four and kickass monster truck rallies. Not the crap that goes on at Allstate Arena.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 08:02 AM)
I said this before, this is NOT an event run by the City of Chicago. Its run on its own, the budgets are made by the people running it, etc. Yes, of course Daley plays a role, and will do everything he can to make it what he wants it to be. But this is NOT RUN BY THE CITY OF CHICAGO.

It's a Daley project. He's running it. He's the front man. He pulls the strings and greases the skids.

To think Daley and his cronies will be left out of the 2016 process is, well... I wont be mean and say what i think.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
The aldermen voted 49-0 in favor of giving King Daley a blank check funded by the tax payers. Unbelievable.

What, you don't trust Mayor Daley? :lolhitting :lolhitting

His deep involvement in this is the one shining positive light I'll see in this if Chicago loses on the bid, even though I want Chicago to win the bid.