2016 Olympics

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
I gotta say, I'm not really a huge fan of the Olympics coming here.

But at the same time, it would be pretty cool, so I guess I'm 50/50 on it.

If the Olympics does come here, I'm gonna try and find some way to make money outta this...

I am going to rent out my house for the month and go on a cruise!!

Maybe I'll stick around for the opening ceremonies, though.

Then I'm on a BOAT MOTHERf***ERS!!!

Edited by RibbieRubarb

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I saw, Michelle Obama is going to Copenhagen because Barack would rather concentrate on health care. Or at least he hasn't confirmed because of this. Also, there's a chance Oprah goes...*ugh*.

"Welcome Jaaaaacques Rooooooooooooooogge!"

Kiss it goodbye, folks.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
Last I saw, Michelle Obama is going to Copenhagen because Barack would rather concentrate on health care. Or at least he hasn't confirmed because of this. Also, there's a chance Oprah goes...*ugh*.

"Welcome Jaaaaacques Rooooooooooooooogge!"

If those are our representatives, hello, Rio.

Rio's at $3.60 at my local betting agency, Chicago $1.70.

Seriously considering whacking some money on Rio here, especially if Barack doesn't show.

It's going to go down to the wire just like the Sydney and Beijing race for the 2000 games.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
Daley now saying he thinks Obama may show up, and Daley is headed for DC anyway, probably will try to talk him into it.

I still think Obama ends up going. 70/30.

I think Obama kind of has to go. If he doesn't go and Rio wins the bid, regardless of whether they would have anyways, he'll catch a lot of undeserved slack for it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
I think Obama kind of has to go. If he doesn't go and Rio wins the bid, regardless of whether they would have anyways, he'll catch a lot of undeserved slack for it.

It would be only a matter of time until some dope says Obama supported Rio so his beloved Africa could host the Olympics.

Yes, I know what i just wrote. I DO kknow where Rio is actually located.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)

Agreed. It shouldn't have to be a kowtowing, throw money and fame at it sort of spectacle, but that is what the IOC is. Their level of corruption and sloth puts the City of Chicago to shame. So if he doesn't go, there is a serious chance they say no because of that (since its apparently a close race), and then people will say that Obama failed us. Well, that's sort of true, and sort of not.

I hope he goes, and I'd guess he goes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
Agreed. It shouldn't have to be a kowtowing, throw money and fame at it sort of spectacle, but that is what the IOC is. Their level of corruption and sloth puts the City of Chicago to shame. So if he doesn't go, there is a serious chance they say no because of that (since its apparently a close race), and then people will say that Obama failed us. Well, that's sort of true, and sort of not.

I hope he goes, and I'd guess he goes.

People will say Obama failed us either way.

Ok, so we are talking about how these are going to be a "privately financed" Olympics.

So, tell a naive person like myself... how have the games been financed int he past? Is ti mostly governmental? Part national government, part private? All private?

My impress is that almost all the Olympic games are financed by the government... be it city/state or national.

Well by "private financing" I'm guessing that is the same thing as corporate sponsors and the Olympics have always had that. But then you have somewhere like China, where there really isn't much difference between the government's interests and the business community's interests... the U.S. gov't is not going to come off of 40 billion for the Olympics like they did.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
That so sounds like Barack is pulling a John McCain...

He's going to suspend the health care debate to go there? And by suspend the health care debate...we mean "Piss off Dave Letterman"?

He is on Letterman on Monday. Perhaps that's part of the plan...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
He's going to suspend the health care debate to go there? And by suspend the health care debate...we mean "Piss off Dave Letterman"?

This reminds me of the whole Thirteen Days thing. JFK in the middle of the Cuban Missle Crisis, leaves the white house just once - to go visit Daley Senior. Obama in the middle of the health care "crisis", might leave the country just once - to go help Daley Junior.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)

Yeah pretty much. Its just funny that with all of the technology in the world, and all of the staff that he has, that he acts like he would miss anything.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 05:47 AM)
This reminds me of the whole Thirteen Days thing. JFK in the middle of the Cuban Missle Crisis, leaves the white house just once - to go visit Daley Senior. Obama in the middle of the health care "crisis", might leave the country just once - to go help Daley Junior.

Um, somehow I don't think that's the most apt metaphor. 45,000/year versus a couple hundred million in 5 minutes being the key difference.