Construct the best current bullpen of former Sox pitchers

caulfield12

Matt Guerrier

Frank Francisco

Jon Rauch

Nick Masset

Mike MacDougal

David Aardsma

I think this just goes to show how "year to year" the bullpen can be, and you can't really fault Williams for letting most of those guys go when he did...if you look back at specific circumstances.

Aardsma has started to return to White Sox form (wetting the bed in pressure situations) and it's hard to judge numbers put up by the likes of Mac or Masset in the National League...any more than you can say Clayton Richard would have led us playoffs if we hadn't traded for Peavy.

Clearly, the White Sox are in very good position to compete coming into 2010.

That said, Linebrink and Pena are going to be the keys, and we're going to have to find one or two more righties down in the pen...especially if we deal Jenks, although I'd say the odds are looking no more than 33% that KW deals him, knowing how weak the bullpen already is and how inconsistent Thornton has been on a year-to-year basis when he can't locate his fastball.

As others have noted, the "Williams approach" that we tried bringing in 13 castoffs to compete for the LH relief job in 2006 just doesn't work...especially when you trade the best of them in LHP Javier Lopez to the Red Sox and see him blossom.

We have Carrasco, Thornton, and MAYBE Jenks to count on, everything else is a crapshoot. Hopefully KW can once again find one year (or half-year) Takatsu's, Hermanson's, Cotts and Cliff Politte's again.

We heard names like Link a lot coming into this season, and they never even sniffed the big leagues. Maybe Nunez or Santeliz can factor in, but I hope KW has bigger and better ideas than Ehren Wasserman or the likes of Russell (yes, I know he's gone now) or Omogrosso for 2010 to fill the void on the RH side. Maybe Hynick can be one of the answers, we'll just have to wait and see.

Guerrier had something like a 2.25 ERA coming into this series, but he's a lot like Linebrink and Dotel, those numbers look better on paper than in "clutch" situations with the game tied or only up by one run.

Francisco has been in and out as the Rangers' closer, but nobody has ever questioned his stuff...it has always been more about his head and a number of injuries have also set him back.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
I thought this was a discussion of current pitchers in the league who were once in the Sox organization.

I didn't even see the word current, my bad. And technically Foulke is still playing (for the Newark Bears).

Edited by jenks45monster

Clearly, the White Sox are in very good position to compete coming into 2010.

Why does everybody think this? Just because of our rotation?

It adds Peavy which is great but everything else is the same. We're under .500 with this rotation. So Peavy goes 17-3 and we're going to be 9-10 over .500? Hope so.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
Why does everybody think this? Just because of our rotation?

It adds Peavy which is great but everything else is the same. We're under .500 with this rotation. So Peavy goes 17-3 and we're going to be 9-10 over .500? Hope so.

Can anyone think of anything that has happened on the Sox this year that has cost the starters wins?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
Never a true Sox (same with Guerrier), but we traded FF for Everett the first time around.

I guess he's the only one that really got away from those 03 trades then.

Didn't we trade Rauch for Everett when we got him from Montreal?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
I guess he's the only one that really got away from those 03 trades then.

Didn't we trade Rauch for Everett when we got him from Montreal?

Yes, the 2nd time around Rauch was traded for Everett. That was after he stormed out of the clubhouse mid-game and KW basically said he'd never play for us again.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
Never a true Sox (same with Guerrier), but we traded FF for Everett the first time around.

Guerrier was originally drafted by the White Sox. I'd say he was a true Sox. Never pitched in the majors, but he was traded for Damaso Marte, so I'd say it worked out for the Sox just fine.