Beckham to miss a few games

iamshack

I like this one better...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6335427.story

Ozzie Guillen touts Gordon Beckham as Rookie of the Year

Says White Sox third baseman gets nod for all he does

Gordon Beckham's injury came on the same day manager Ozzie Guillen gave him a strong pre-game endorsement.

"Gordon should be the American League Rookie of the Year," Guillen said Saturday before the White Sox beat the Red Sox 5-1. "I respect the other kids, but you see what this kid is doing: Playing [a new] position, in middle of the lineup, to put all those numbers in a short time.

"I'm not marketing this kid, that's not my job. I give credit to people who deserve credit and I think this kid should be [the top rookie]. He's a great baseball player."

Rookie second baseman Chris Getz actually has a higher batting average than Beckham (.278-.274), but far less publicity.

"He is getting a lot of attention," Getz said. "I'd rather be under the radar. He's obviously is having so much success, so I'm saying, 'Geez, I have to have some success, too. Maybe it has kick-started me a little bit."

White Sox Press Release:

Gordon Beckham fully expects to be back in the White Sox starting lineup for Wednesday night's series finale of a brief two-game home set with Oakland. Beckham basically has missed the last three games due to a strained right oblique, although it's more of a tweak than a full-out strain like the one that sent Chris Getz to the disabled list.

The fact that Beckham exited Saturday's contest in the bottom of the first inning and got treatment instead of playing on it probably saved the rookie third baseman from more extended trouble.

"I'm doing OK," said Beckham after Monday's 5-1 victory for the White Sox over Boston. "I think they want to keep me out one more day, but I probably could go (Tuesday). We'll see. Hopefully Wednesday, maybe (Tuesday)."

With an off-day coming Thursday, ending a string of 20 games in 20 days during which the White Sox have posted a 7-11 record, and an important West Coast swing to Anaheim and Seattle starting Friday, Ozzie Guillen could error on the side of caution and keep Beckham out for the next two days. Guillen is being very careful with the young man who played 81 straight games and started 65 in a row, who currently leads all AL rookies with 23 doubles, 52 RBIs and 34 extra-base hits.

"I want him to finish strong," said Guillen of Beckham. "Hopefully he can get what I want him to get, that award. He deserved and earned it. It's our job to make sure we do the best for him to get it. We'll talk to (White Sox athletic trainer) Herm (Schneider) about it. It's a day game today and hopefully the long day he'll get better."

on mlb rumors i saw how rosenthal thinks elvis andrus should win r.o.y. i havent really seen much of him but have heard hes really good defensively. if u compare beckhams stats to his though, beckhams are was better. so do u's believe theres a chance he'll get it over beckham because of his defense?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
on mlb rumors i saw how rosenthal thinks elvis andrus should win r.o.y. i havent really seen much of him but have heard hes really good defensively. if u compare beckhams stats to his though, beckhams are was better. so do u's believe theres a chance he'll get it over beckham because of his defense?

His recent slump hurt his chances. He needs to go on a run here if he wants to reclaim ROY.