9/6 Sox v. Sawks - 1:05 CDT CSN/TBS

knightni

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Worst base runner I've ever seen. Please don't overpay for him!

It just gets worse and worse with him. God love him, he's having a much better year than anyone could expect, and is definitely a huge upgrade over Wise/Owens, but they can't re-sign him. Disaster on the basepaths is becoming almost a daily occurance.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
can you believe he was trying to start a school to teach skills like base running?

What's interesting is he used to be a high pct. basestealer and a better baserunner. Some of his pickoffs are just dumb, and many of decisions while on base are horrific.

Pods does so many great things. He bothers the pitcher, he gets on base, he hits well with RISP. But he's also below average on defense, makes stupid base running mistakes, and just frustrates the hell out of you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Is there any site that adjusts OBP taking getting picked off, doubled off, thrown out stealing and otherwise into account?

Look at EqA. It takes base running into account.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Pods does so many great things. He bothers the pitcher, he gets on base, he hits well with RISP. But he's also below average on defense, makes stupid base running mistakes, and just frustrates the hell out of you.

I don't know how much he really bothers pitchers anymore. His pct. has dropped the last 5 seasons, and many times that doesn't account for pickoffs which he probably is near the top of the league in. He's hit a lot better than expected and done it at some key moments. I just don't think he's worth anymore than a 5th OF salary.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
I don't know how much he really bothers pitchers anymore. His pct. has dropped the last 5 seasons, and many times that doesn't account for pickoffs which he probably is near the top of the league in. He's hit a lot better than expected and done it at some key moments. I just don't think he's worth anymore than a 5th OF salary.

He just bothered Jon Lester to the point where he walked Nix on 5 pitches. He still bothers them because he still does have good speed.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Getz is really a very solid ballplayer. It amazes me when I see critism of him.

You say this when he's doing well, but will you say this when he's slumping or injured?

Look, I want Getz to succeed in every way possible. He could be a very effective leadoff hitter down the line for this team. However, he also has A LOT to improve on and if he does not improve on these said things, he will not be a "solid" ballplayer, but just an average one at best.

Here's a list of things that he should improve on.

1. Get on base more often. A .320-.330 OBP just won't do it for a possible leadoff hitter. It might be good enough for a bottom of the order hitter, but that would make him an average player at best. Get the OBP up to .340-.350 and you might be looking at a "solid" player.

2. Better plate discipline. I know he's a rookie, but he needs to lay off the high fastball. Doing so will help him in so many ways. Maybe he should bend down a bit more to lay off of them.

3. Get better on defense. At this point, he's an average defender. He's got the speed to get to almost anything, he should be better on D.

4. Reduce the nagging injuries. He really can't do too much about this one. Maybe his body's just not one that can handle the work load of playing baseball every day. He should be stretching and preparing himself better in order not to get injured.

He's got the base running down so far and he's a decent hitter. I'm hoping he will address the above issues by next season so we won't have to re-sign Podsednik or spend a lot of money on a new leadoff man.

Getz, right now, is a very average player.

Edited by chw42

Something that was extremely noticeable at the game on Friday night was how Rios doesn't talk to anyone in the dugout. As soon as the inning was over, he'd go to his own section in the dugout and no one would come near him. It really seems like a match made in hell so far.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
Way to waste a 3-0 count Rios...

I really hope he figures it out by next year. Because this isn't going to cut it.

To think that we could have just used that money to go after Figgins this offseason and finally solve our leadoff issue.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Something that was extremely noticeable at the game on Friday night was how Rios doesn't talk to anyone in the dugout. As soon as the inning was over, he'd go to his own section in the dugout and no one would come near him. It really seems like a match made in hell so far.

You really have to wonder if those rumors of him being a complete ass hole are true.

It seems pretty notable that Dye does not like him from their body language in the outfield on plays where one has to call another off.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)

Hopefully that changes. Team chemistry is so important.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
You really have to wonder if those rumors of him being a complete ass hole are true.

It seems pretty notable that Dye does not like him from their body language in the outfield on plays where one has to call another off.

Of course they're true, they've been around for a few years. He's lazy also.