Debate: Swap Linebrink for Bradley?

prochisox

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Eh... I would take him anyway if he didn't cost that much...

It would be worth it to get rid if Rick White ERRR.. Scott Linebrink.

I dont care if Linebrink goes the other way, he costs too much. Too much grief, too many problems, too much money

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
That would be new. You think he'd suddenly stop being mentally unstable because his manager would also be mentally unstable? Seems more like a recipe for disaster than a solution to me.

No, I think he would still be unstable, but I think Ozzie knows how to handle those guys and I think sticking it to the Cubs would motivate him for at least 1 year. We could deal him if he has another year like he did in 08

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
Every team that has signed him has thought this. They all thought it would be different. Seven teams later, it isn't. Its incredibly unlikely that somehow this time, in the same town where he already failed, would be the magic key.

It worked in Texas. In other locations, it worked 'well enough.'

Dennis Rodman had some big problems in Chicago, but not his biggest ones. So it worked well enough-because everything else was in place...and they took home 3 titles.

I cite this just to point out that a headcase can sometimes act out but not derail the team. And still perform (and Bradley has done this some years).

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Taking Bradley for Linebrink straight up, even with "sweeteners" involved, would be very dumb. The difference in salary between the two players is $10.5M over two years. Think of all the great prospects we'd be able to buy with $10.5M dollars, or think of all the players we'd be able to afford in free agency with $10.5M dollars.

This is kind of the opposite viewpoint that I have. I think of $10.5M over two years as not being much money at all.

Obviously if we could get the next Abreu or Hudson, an underpaid 1-year, then that's one thing. But those do not grow on trees. Those guys take less to go to a readymade contender...we're going to be telling FAs to replace the vets and play alongside Quen-stion Mark (sorry) and a bunch of young promising guys.

For instance, Nick Johnson. A team may pay him $8M for ONE year.

If we could get Bradley's .375 OBP and a decent reliever...for two years $10.5M sounds like a solid price.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
It worked in Texas. In other locations, it worked 'well enough.'

Dennis Rodman had some big problems in Chicago, but not his biggest ones. So it worked well enough-because everything else was in place...and they took home 3 titles.

I cite this just to point out that a headcase can sometimes act out but not derail the team. And still perform (and Bradley has done this some years).

Eccentric people tend to cause a lot fewer problems in the workplace than people with serious anger issues.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
Eccentric people tend to cause a lot fewer problems in the workplace than people with serious anger issues.

Rodman headbutted a ref and had a huge suspension. I believe with the Spurs he used to take his shoes off at odd times. That stuff interferes with a team.... but I might argue that everything Bradley did this year couldve been passable if the team was good enough around him.

Because the Cubs were bad, it snowballed.

Next year, I see us having a kick ass rotation... we have a lowstakes x-factor in Rios, and highstakes x-factors in Quentin, Pods.....but if those two come through, we could have an above average offensive attack.

We just need to fill the DH role. If all the pieces are in place, a headcase can sometimes fit the bill as a cheap last piece to the puzzle.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Rodman headbutted a ref and had a huge suspension. I believe with the Spurs he used to take his shoes off at odd times. That stuff interferes with a team....

Rodman's work-related problems were limited to referees, rather than everybody around him: his teammates, his manager, upper management, fans, announcers, etc. The vast majority of what Rodman did was cosmetic (taking his shoes off at odd times, his crazy hair, the tats, the piercings, etc.) He was a freaking nutcase, but he had the ability to actually get along with people. He wasn't a radioactive pariah like Bradley.

At the very least, there's about zero chance that Ozzie is going to put up with Bradley's crap, and the fallout from that is going to be a massive clubhouse problem and media distraction. No thanks.

but I might argue that everything Bradley did this year couldve been passable if the team was good enough around him.

So playing on a better team is going to suddenly going to cure Bradley's problems? LOL.

Next year, I see us having a kick ass rotation... we have a lowstakes x-factor in Rios, and highstakes x-factors in Quentin, Pods.....but if those two come through, we could have an above average offensive attack.

We had a good rotation this year and it didn't help us win. Our anemic offense could be even weaker next year. We might be competitive next year, but it's far from certain.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Rodman headbutted a ref and had a huge suspension. I believe with the Spurs he used to take his shoes off at odd times. That stuff interferes with a team.... but I might argue that everything Bradley did this year couldve been passable if the team was good enough around him.

We just need to fill the DH role. If all the pieces are in place, a headcase can sometimes fit the bill as a cheap last piece to the puzzle.

I would say most of the catalyst was the awful fans on the northside to be honest. He's never experienced anything like that at all.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
So playing on a better team is going to suddenly going to cure Bradley's problems? LOL.

Cure? No chance. However, things were awful on the North side, magnetizing Bradley's problems. Bradley getting off to a horrendous start and getting the Latroy Hawkins treatment from fans wasn't a help either. Expectations made things worse. I think a trade for Bradley is sort of an "under-the-radar" type deal now without big expectations. I think it would work for one year at least, I have no idea what year 2 would bring, though.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Cure? No chance. However, things were awful on the North side, magnetizing Bradley's problems. Bradley getting off to a horrendous start and getting the Latroy Hawkins treatment from fans wasn't a help either. Expectations made things worse. I think a trade for Bradley is sort of an "under-the-radar" type deal now without big expectations. I think it would work for one year at least, I have no idea what year 2 would bring, though.

The "expectation" is that Bradley The Human Time Bomb will explode at some point, and I'm sure that plenty of belligerent Sox fans would bait him mercilessly for their own amusement. Once you've shown that you can be baited easily, people tend to pick on you more, not less.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
I agree. I see more Artest than I see Rodman

That's a good comparison.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
The "expectation" is that Bradley The Human Time Bomb will explode at some point, and I'm sure that plenty of belligerent Sox fans would bait him mercilessly for their own amusement. Once you've shown that you can be baited easily, people tend to pick on you more, not less.

I think the real problem with Bradley here, especially with the Cubs, was the media focusing on him. he cannot take the heat, never has been able to. If you move him from one side of town to the other, the media criticism does not change, and neither does Bradley.

I really hope it does not happen, I dont want to see the Sox fall for the same "potential" that 7 other teams have already fallen for.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
I think the real problem with Bradley here, especially with the Cubs, was the media focusing on him. he cannot take the heat, never has been able to. If you move him from one side of town to the other, the media criticism does not change, and neither does Bradley.

Yeah, that's a good point. The Cubs media likely rode him a lot harder than the people covering the Ranger, A's, and Padres. And you know that the coverage would be AT LEAST the same (and likely even more intensified) if he moved 8 miles south. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Usually I'd say take talent over character because talent wins games, but this is one case I don't think the risk is worth the potential reward. Bradley is such a prima donna and a distraction that I just can't envision a scenario where a deal for him would end well.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
^^^

I'd rather go 72-90 with Pods or Kotsay at DH than bring a nutcase douche like Bradley into the clubhouse. Remember when Griffey gushed about how the Sox organization had a "family" atmosphere? That attracts free agents and players with no-trade clauses. Let's not mess that up.

The Royals have a very pro-family atmosphere in their clubhouse and they suck. If the Sox had 25 jackasses on their team and won the World Series, I would prefer that over a family clubhouse.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
Yeah, that's a good point. The Cubs media likely rode him a lot harder than the people covering the Ranger, A's, and Padres. And you know that the coverage would be AT LEAST the same (and likely even more intensified) if he moved 8 miles south. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Cowley would be on him like crazy because thats pretty much all he can do, but for some reason I feel like all it would take would be him knowing that his success on the southside would kill Cubs fans and that would be good enough for one year out of him.

As crazy as this sounds, I think Linebrink will bounce back next year. I don't see Bradley ever making it through another season, especially in a big market, without several issues and distractions. Let him go to SD where he will be ignored. It would never work with the White Sox, plus I think I would have to shower immediately after every time I cheered for him or was happy with his success.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
The Royals have a very pro-family atmosphere in their clubhouse and they suck. If the Sox had 25 jackasses on their team and won the World Series, I would prefer that over a family clubhouse.

Yeah, but we're not talking about a potential World Series-winning addition here. This isn't Manny Ramirez, it's career underachiever and health risk Milton Bradley.

PS I'm not saying we should sign Manny either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
plus I think I would have to shower immediately after every time I cheered for him or was happy with his success.

I think of him more as an overly sensitive and defensive personality than a malicious one.

The story about him going after the announcer during a game....THAT is pretty crazy. But i dont necessarily think he wouldve gone up there and started beating ass if he had gotten thru. Still,bad.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
I think of him more as an overly sensitive and defensive personality than a malicious one.

The story about him going after the announcer during a game....THAT is pretty crazy. But i dont necessarily think he wouldve gone up there and started beating ass if he had gotten thru. Still,bad.

Im sure after pushing past all of that security and his manager, all Bradley really wanted to do was have a cup of coffee and discuss what was said.

Did you see Bradley go after the fans in LA when a bottle was thrown at him? Did you see how crazy he was when he blew both knees out trying to go after an ump in San Diego. Dude is nuts, he would have gone crazy on that announcer

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah, but we're not talking about a potential World Series-winning addition here. This isn't Manny Ramirez, it's career underachiever and health risk Milton Bradley.

PS I'm not saying we should sign Manny either.

There are many worse moves the Sox could make.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
Wow, this thread got bumped?

I'll say again, if it costs us anything in terms of talent or the Cubs chip in less than 60% of his salary, not interested.

Interesting how people imply something shouldnt have been bumped. Then they express an opinion, which in essence bumps it once again. Or at the least means it's giving the topic some level of legitimacy.