Debate: Swap Linebrink for Bradley?

prochisox

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Rather than trade anybody with a pulse for "Bad Boy" Milton Bradley, I'd rather we go out and re-sign "Good Guy" Jim Thome for one more year. You'd get all of the OBP that Bradley brings to the table plus more homers and RBIs. That and you'd have arguably the best influence in all of baseball in the clubhouse vs. the worst.

Good call. Thome > Bradley hitting-wise anyway, neither can really play defense, and Thome doesn't have the baggage. Plus Thome is a known commodity and they know he works well here.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradley is yet to get one GM fired. Although he did throw a chair at Billy Beane once. There's no question that he's something of a nutcase, but he's a proven hitter, who has shown that he can thrive in the right environment. I believe the Sox have that kind of environment. Now, i'm not going to make a push for Bradley, because i understand why it probably wouldn't work, i'm just saying that it can't be written off.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
I agree that AJ was no cancer. He was a competitor who wanted to win-badly. Maybe with Peavy and AJ on the same team it will satrt to rub off in a good way on some of our other players

This is a minor point, but having one of Peavy's buddies on the team is a small plus as well. It's obviously not enough to pass up an opportunity to dump Linebrink's salary in a trade (for somebody other than Bradley), but if Linebrink may be able to help us in other ways. Not unlike how El Duque helped Jose in 2005.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
Sounds like AJ before he came to the Sox, doesn't it? The best year Bradley ever had was with a laid-back manager (Wash) in a really relaxed clubhouse. Sweet Lou felt the need to try to intimidate Bradley, Bradley hates that. If you talk to the guy on his level, he'll produce and behave.

Not really. AJ was in one bad situation. Bradley has been on seven teams in nine years, none of which wanted him back.

Now, i'm not going to make a push for Bradley, because i understand why it probably wouldn't work, i'm just saying that it can't be written off.

I'm saying it can be written off, because KW is an educated man who would never bring this clown into his clubhouse and also doesn't need the grief of the media who would find story after story of what a clown Bradley is.

No baseball teams suspend guys for talking to the media and the Cubs just did it because they can't stand the idea of having Bradley with their team one more day.

I don't know KW but I have studied him in interviews. He would never take on this clown. Educated men learn from others' mistakes and he can see what a mistake Bradley would be.

I'm still hoping whatever he saw in Rios emerges next year. At least Rios hasn't acted like an ass. I'm sure we'd have heard stories in the media by now if hitless Rios was being a dick.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
Ozzie deflects attention away from players who put in the work and don't complain. Bradley is not that guy. Ozzie would hang him in the press, eventually. He doesn't do prima donna players - see Orlando Cabrera, who Ozzie defended at first, but then stopped defending when Orlando caused problems in his clubhouse (not getting into whether that was right or wrong - just that it simply is).

Yep. The first time he got into Ozzie's face, it would be on. They wouldn't make it through spring training.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
I am not saying I want to go 72-90, I am saying that Bradley won't improve your record as a team necessarily, and in fact may hurt it, even if he puts up big numbers. I know lots of people here seem to think baseball is like some video game, but its not - human players have human reactions, and there is a 95% chance that Bradley's emotional issues would throw the clubhouse into a fit, and there is no doubt in my mind that can have serious impact on players' play on the field.

I think that there's some truth to that as well.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Wow, that's really sad to hear. Some fan you are.

You must be a huge Barry Bonds/Jose Canseco fan. Unlike you, I have principles.

The only clubhouse I know who loved him alot was Oakland as they were a tight group. (Big Frank really loved the guy)

It's actually alot more interesting topic than people realize, which is why I said I was 50-50 on it. The question is does the cons outweigh the pros for him? So far, it seems so.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
I'm saying it can be written off, because KW is an educated man who would never bring this clown into his clubhouse and also doesn't need the grief of the media who would find story after story of what a clown Bradley is.

No baseball teams suspend guys for talking to the media and the Cubs just did it because they can't stand the idea of having Bradley with their team one more day.

I don't know KW but I have studied him in interviews. He would never take on this clown. Educated men learn from others' mistakes and he can see what a mistake Bradley would be.

I'm still hoping whatever he saw in Rios emerges next year. At least Rios hasn't acted like an ass. I'm sure we'd have heard stories in the media by now if hitless Rios was being a dick.

We have the most pleasant conversations, Greg. :lolhitting I actually love how much we disagree with each other. That's why i miss BearSox too. Good baseball debate is a stimulating exercise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Paul DePodesta probably counts, although it wasn't just Bradley. But a .900 OPS out of Bradley in a complete season in 2005 might well have saved DePodesta.

Depo was fired for a variety of reasons. The most prominent reason being that the McCourt’s caved to public pressure from the Anti-Sabermetric press (who insisted on calling the man "Google Boy") The second being the intense backlash from Depo trading Paul La Duca, a move that was revealed years later, as a move to get La Duca (who was dealing roids) out of the clubhouse. I really love Depo, guy needs another GM job.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Depo was fired for a variety of reasons. The most prominent reason being that the McCourt’s caved to public pressure from the Anti-Sabermetric press (who insisted on calling the man "Google Boy") The second being the intense backlash from Depo trading Paul La Duca, a move that was revealed years later, as a move to get La Duca (who was dealing roids) out of the clubhouse. I really love Depo, guy needs another GM job.

And letting Adrian Beltre go while bringing J.D. Drew in. And not winning the division in 2005. And trading away Mota who was working as Gagne's setup man. But Bradley's presence and suckiness certainly played a role, don't kidd us. There's a reason that one of Coletti's first moves was to clear Bradley out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
I draw the line at steroid users, but honestly, if the Sox could win the World Series with the 9 biggest Assholes in the world in the lineup, i'd take it. No doubt in my mind.

Most pro athletes are assholes, so that's not exactly a controversial statement.

I draw the line at bad teammates like Bradley and Jose Guillen, and PED users.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
Rangers did, but i recognize your point. I do like Bradley, but i'm playing a bit of the devil's advocate here.

They offered him a one year deal, for less money, when the Cubs were offering him three years, and a higher annual salary. That is pretty much like saying the Sox tried to bring back Robin Ventura.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
And letting Adrian Beltre go while bringing J.D. Drew in. And not winning the division in 2005. And trading away Mota who was working as Gagne's setup man. But Bradley's presence and suckiness certainly played a role, don't kidd us. There's a reason that one of Coletti's first moves was to clear Bradley out.

Drew was actually pretty good as a Dodger. Depo also brought Brad Penny, Derek Lowe and Jeff Kent in. He made room for Martin by trading Lo Duca. Let Beltre go, when it proved cost effective. He traded away Mota as a piece for an eventual Randy Johnson move that never came through. Depo, with Logan White, helped inject a lot of youth into the organization, he had one great year, and one bad year, and deserved another shot.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
They offered him a one year deal, for less money, when the Cubs were offering him three years, and a higher annual salary. That is pretty much like saying the Sox tried to bring back Robin Ventura.

The Rangers offered him a smart baseball deal. It was a lowball offer compared to the Cubs, but that's only because the Cubs are run by a tree full of monkeys.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
The Rangers offered him a smart baseball deal. It was a lowball offer compared to the Cubs, but that's only because the Cubs are run by a tree full of monkeys.

They also had no pressing need to keep him. Nelson Cruz was banging on the door/

You must be a huge Barry Bonds/Jose Canseco fan. Unlike you, I have principles.

Has Milton Bradley cheated in some way that I'm not aware of?

I'm sure many Royals/Pirates fans are amongst the most principled in the world, yet would trade that aspect of their fandom in for a taste of some competitiveness.

I found this a good article on the Bradley situation

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/...mp;sportCat=mlb

Bradley probably has something on the racial taunts. Baker, Jones and Hawkins all said the same things. The Cubs like to point their fingers at someone and Bradley is very convenient: he's new, getting paid a decent dollar [though less than a lot of guys; and he's had a bad rep. in the past. A perfect foil.

Now, getting back to the topic, Kenny and the sox would really have to sit down and interview Bradley, some of his respected teammates from around the league, and see what his problems are [which seem to be anger management, maturity]. His bat would be a nice addition to the sox as DH, if the sox felt his problems wouldn't effect his teammates or the sox. IIRC, most of his old teammates liked him. Management and the media had big problems with him.

As far as production goes, if it were dollar for dollar, I'd bet Bradley outperforms Linebrink. The Cubs would probably eat most of his salary to get rid of him--so he'd probably cost even less than the $10.5 the sox still owe Linebrink. It's something to consider, though Linebrink does have that NTC. But moving across town isn't all that drastic a move.