Who should the Sox trade for this winter?

GreatScott82

Upton's having a terrible year, likely due to recent shoulder surgery. Even if his shoulder fully recovers, you still have to deal with his immaturity and lack of focus. I realize that Upton's ceiling is extremely high, but his three full seasons in the bigs have resulted in OPS+ of 136, 107, and 74 (in that order). If Upton was having a year like last season, I'd do this deal in a second. But now, I'm very hesitant.

Good point, there is risk. I just think that defense doesn't usually slump or have off years, nor does speed. From the very few times I've seen Flowers, he appears to have a long swing and a slow bat, but I said that about Frank Thomas when I first saw him too, so what do I know. Jenks has lost it, we know it, we just hope everyone else doesn't.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Johnson and Bobby Abreu. Two free agents. Both might want more money, but Johnson has had injury issues that will prevent him from getting a long term deal, and Abreu is too old for anyone to pay a lot or give him several years. Both might be had for very reasonably priced 2 year deals, or one year deals with options.

These guys would not give us the power we are used to, but they would bring OBP at a very high level, and together would balance our lineup from the left side.

Nick Johnson is third in baseball with a .420 OBP. His career mark is .401.

Bobby Abreu is 21st in baseball with a .391 OBP. His career mark is .404.

Johnson has an RC/27 rate of 6.36 runs/game. Abreu is at 6.31 runs/game. By contrast, Paul Konerko is leading our team with 6.0 runs/game.

I could see a lineup like:

Beckham 3B

Abreu RF

Johnson DH

Quentin LF

Konerko 1B

AJ C

Ramirez SS

Rios CF

Getz/Nix 2B

You could also flip Johnson and Abreu or Quentin and Konerko, or even move one of the righties between the lefties to break them up. Beckham is not idea at lead off, but I don't see Getz, Ramirez or Rios able to handle it.

The difference from this season would be having Beckham instead of Fields from the beginning, Rios instead of Anderson/Wise, Abreu instead of Dye, and Johnson instead of Thome. Beckham and Rios could help offset the loss of HRs. A Quentin rebound could too. It's certainly not as clogged up on the basepaths, with speed from 7 around through 2.

I'm not saying that Johnson and Abreu are the best players out there by any means. If we could afford Holliday, for example, I'd take him over Abreu. I just think these are the kind of semi-bargain signings the Sox specialize in.

The only thing this doesn't do is improve the defense.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Nick Johnson and Bobby Abreu. Two free agents. Both might want more money, but Johnson has had injury issues that will prevent him from getting a long term deal, and Abreu is too old for anyone to pay a lot or give him several years. Both might be had for very reasonably priced 2 year deals, or one year deals with options.

These guys would not give us the power we are used to, but they would bring OBP at a very high level, and together would balance our lineup from the left side.

Nick Johnson is third in baseball with a .420 OBP. His career mark is .401.

Bobby Abreu is 21st in baseball with a .391 OBP. His career mark is .404.

Johnson has an RC/27 rate of 6.36 runs/game. Abreu is at 6.31 runs/game. By contrast, Paul Konerko is leading our team with 6.0 runs/game.

I could see a lineup like:

Beckham 3B

Abreu RF

Johnson DH

Quentin LF

Konerko 1B

AJ C

Ramirez SS

Rios CF

Getz/Nix 2B

You could also flip Johnson and Abreu or Quentin and Konerko, or even move one of the righties between the lefties to break them up. Beckham is not idea at lead off, but I don't see Getz, Ramirez or Rios able to handle it.

The difference from this season would be having Beckham instead of Fields from the beginning, Rios instead of Anderson/Wise, Abreu instead of Dye, and Johnson instead of Thome. Beckham and Rios could help offset the loss of HRs. A Quentin rebound could too. It's certainly not as clogged up on the basepaths, with speed from 7 around through 2.

I'm not saying that Johnson and Abreu are the best players out there by any means. If we could afford Holliday, for example, I'd take him over Abreu. I just think these are the kind of semi-bargain signings the Sox specialize in.

The only thing this doesn't do is improve the defense.

Bobby Abreu should get at least $8M on the open market, probably more because the Angels REALLY want to bring him back and they have a habit of overpaying for everyone. Nick Johnson I think will get around $6M or so. Konerko makes $12M next year, Rios $9.7, Buehrle $14, Peavy $15, AJ $6.25, etc. And then Floyd will get a raise under his new deal, Thornton gets a raise (albeit it also a small one), and then we've got to offer arb to Quentin, Danks, Pena, Carrasco, and Jenks. Linebrink also makes $5M and he's immovable. I just don't see that kind of spending as realistic. A good translation of Kenny's comments about "not liking what I see on the free agent market" would be "we simply can't afford that."

If we're going to do a good makeover of this team we're going to have to do a lot of dealing. Two ideas from me: Jenks to the Marlins for Cody Ross and Konerko to the Giants for Jeremy Affeldt (good player, bad contract). Both Ross and Affeldt would be making about $8M combined next year, with Konerko and Jenks probably $19M combined. So doing those deals, we'd shave off $11M, make Ross our RF, Thornton our closer, Affeldt our lefty setup man, and then we'd have some more money left to fill 1B and DH through free agency or trade.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Cody Ross would be an ideal fit, i do wonder if the Front Office would prefer the lefty-hitting Hermida.

I doubt it because he hasn't been as productive and he isn't as versatile. No matter what Kenny says, I think he would like to clear out some money and make a hard run at Abreu if he can afford it. I expect him to get another lefty to hit in the middle of the lineup no matter what, but I doubt it would be RF because the Sox want better defense out there and there just isn't much available in that regard. I believe that if RF defense was not a major priority we would have heard a lot about Quentin being in RF next year.

Would the Yankees or Mets go for Rios for scraps?

Then we could make a significant trade for Granderson.

I want Grandy.

Any way we could trade for Bartlett and move Lexi to second? What an offensive infield that'd be with Gordon, Bartlett, Lexi and Mr. Scoop, Paulie.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)

I want Grandy.

Any way we could trade for Bartlett and move Lexi to second? What an offensive infield that'd be with Gordon, Bartlett, Lexi and Mr. Scoop, Paulie.

Yeah, neither of those are happening.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)

I want Grandy.

All of these options should be available when you go to the menu screen under "trades" for your franchise league in MLB The Show.

Then, Balta, I ask you: What teams would consider acquiring Rios?

A lot of people on here have a high opinion of him.

If we could deal Rios we'd be better equipped to acquire some other guys. Do you see any team that might have an interest in acquiring Rios for scraps?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)

If we could deal Rios we'd be better equipped to acquire some other guys. Do you see any team that might have an interest in acquiring Rios for scraps?

Why would we trade him at his lowest possible value? Do you sell your stock when it has bottomed out and then buy other stock that has peaked?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)

Frankly, after the way he's finished this season, I'd be really surprised if anyone would give up anything for Rios period, without asking the Sox to chip in part of his contract. I'd bet he could clear waivers right now; it seemed a lot of GM's were shocked when someoen claimed him from Toronto.

Anyway...the Sox don't get better by moving Rios for nothing and then by using the talent they have to fill the hole created by moving Rios. That leaves holes at the positions where the Sox trade away people. The sox will get better by rebuilding Rios, getting a good season from him, and then using the resources they have to fill the other extant holes on their roster.

We've had a gaping hole in CF for 3 seasons now, and we've got a guy whose career numbers suggest he can fill it. Let's at least give him a shot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)

Rios isn't being traded [unless he gets on fire in 2010 and the market for him starts and the sox add a big % of cash]. There is no market for Rios.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
What is open on this team as far as posiiton players?

3B-Beckham

2B-Getz

SS-Ramirez

1B- PK

C- AJP

LF-CQ

CF-Rios

RF- I hope Dye returns

DH-Pods

1b/RF Kotsay

infield-Nix

C-Flowers

infield ?

12 pitchers

The need is more glaring in the bullpen

If you look at it from the perspective of the batting lineup and not the fielding lineup, we are missing a solid #3 of #4 hitter. Those two spots killed us (IMO) this year.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
If you look at it from the perspective of the batting lineup and not the fielding lineup, we are missing a solid #3 of #4 hitter. Those two spots killed us (IMO) this year.

Disagree. We have those guys. Beckham is a prototypical #3 hitter. Ton of doubles, good (20-30 HR pop), should hit for a very high average, above .300, starting next year. TCQ is a prototypical number 4 hitter; huge power, huge RBI potential.

What we're missing is the #5 guy...the lefty RBI guy that you stick in behind them to give your lineup some balance. And maybe the #2 guy, although Alexei and Rios could fill that role if either of them has a good year next year. Or Getz if another leadoff hitter appears.

Anyway...the Sox don't get better by moving Rios for nothing and then by using the talent they have to fill the hole created by moving Rios. That leaves holes at the positions where the Sox trade away people. The sox will get better by rebuilding Rios, getting a good season from him, and then using the resources they have to fill the other extant holes on their roster.

We've had a gaping hole in CF for 3 seasons now, and we've got a guy whose career numbers suggest he can fill it. Let's at least give him a shot.

I hope "the resources they have" are creative. His contract takes away a lot of money. It'd be nice to see them dump some expensive bullpen arms to get some money back that way.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)

If I agreed, and I am not saying I do, the issue with trying to acquire that #43 or #4 hitter would mean money or lots of our young talent. Plus they have to fit in somewhere in the line up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Disagree. We have those guys. Beckham is a prototypical #3 hitter. Ton of doubles, good (20-30 HR pop), should hit for a very high average, above .300, starting next year. TCQ is a prototypical number 4 hitter; huge power, huge RBI potential.

What we're missing is the #5 guy...the lefty RBI guy that you stick in behind them to give your lineup some balance. And maybe the #2 guy, although Alexei and Rios could fill that role if either of them has a good year next year. Or Getz if another leadoff hitter appears.

Agree on both counts, but I don't know if Beckham is going to be that #3 until 2011. Maybe he is that next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is. CQ is definitely a #4 when healthy, but I'd like a sure thing #4 to stick in there between them in the meantime, if at all possible.

I would like a #5 guy too but I'd much rather see someone brought in to push CQ into that spot, or else have Beckham at #2, someone else at #3, with CQ at #4. Paulie is a nice #5 guy but I really hope we can move him and free up some salary. Rios could be a #5 guy, but he could also be a #3 guy if he becomes the type of player he is capable of being. Right now I think we should look at Rios as a #7-9 hitter until he shows he's more than that.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)

I agree but that is putting alot of faith in a player in his second season and a player coming off a bad season (even though CQ has been injurred). That's why I would like to get at least 1 hitter for the 3 or 4 spot so we don't have to rely too much on CQ and Beckham. Who and how we get them is another question.