Solar Panel Roadways

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
We have a new housing development going in down here that will feature a turbine at every house. The cost is about $10,000 after rebates and such with what is projected to be a 9 year ROI. Currently there is a small manufactured home that sits at what will be the entrance and it has one already running.

would love to see a pic

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
are they like, big obnoxious turbines? Because I thought about how many birds get caught up in those things and started laughing at the thought of it raining dead birds all over the lawn.

No, three blade, maybe 30 feet tall. This happens to be the premier place in the US for birding, so we take our feathered friends seriously.

I also think it's funny that people don't like the look of wind turbines but apparently these look great...

coal-power-plant.jpg

nuclear_power_plant_cattenom_a.png

f***ing ridiculous. People who use aesthetics as a reason for not wanting wind turbines are just f***ing selfish. If these could be built, it would do wonders for the environment and is renewable, but you want a good view over lake michigan. ridiculous.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
are they like, big obnoxious turbines? Because I thought about how many birds get caught up in those things and started laughing at the thought of it raining dead birds all over the lawn.

Actually...the big, obnoxious turbines tend to be the best ones for birds, because they're big, obnoxious, and fairly slow moving.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
f***ing ridiculous. People who use aesthetics as a reason for not wanting wind turbines are just f***ing selfish. If these could be built, it would do wonders for the environment and is renewable, but you want a good view over lake michigan. ridiculous.

What are lake shore Condos selling for? If you owned an asset worth $750,000 that would drop to $600,000, how happy would you be? It may be selfish, but people don't want their property values to decline. There are some real hardships in owning real estate that is declining in value.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
What are lake shore Condos selling for? If you owned an asset worth $750,000 that would drop to $600,000, how happy would you be? It may be selfish, but people don't want their property values to decline. There are some real hardships in owning real estate that is declining in value.

Maybe if they called it a tax, it would be OK?

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 06:22 AM)

One thing I'll never figure out is how having some windmills far off on the horizon cuts the value of someone's real estate more than things like having shipping in those same lakes, the occasional shipwreck/oil spill (this is a classic one for the ones off of Boston; they don't want the windmills but they keep having oil spills right along shore from the shipping lanes) and the coal fired power plant further along the lakeshore dropping soot on you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
One thing I'll never figure out is how having some windmills far off on the horizon cuts the value of someone's real estate more than things like having shipping in those same lakes, the occasional shipwreck/oil spill (this is a classic one for the ones off of Boston; they don't want the windmills but they keep having oil spills right along shore from the shipping lanes) and the coal fired power plant further along the lakeshore dropping soot on you.

I'd say ask Teddy Kennedy, but you know...