White Sox Parking- Is my math correct?

jasonxctf

QUOTE (Drew @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 02:04 AM)
I lived in Minneapolis in 2003. That price for Twins parking seems about right. Vikings was triple that.

Dodger Stadium is $15, but in a stadium that seats over 50,000 in Los Angeles, that means that you have about 25,000 cars.

Angel Stadium is $8. I don't know how Arte Moreno does it, but baseball would be a better place if more people followed his lead.

Last summer when I was there I remember parking at Fenway running about $30-some.

Staples Center for Kings games runs $20 as of last season. I don't give a damn about basketball but I'd imagine with an average ticket running a bill to see the Lakers, parking is marked up as well.

Im pretty sure bulls games are $20.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
I feel for you guys who weren't around at Old Comiskey when parking and ticket prices were cheap.

Steinbrenner ruined it for all fans. Used to be baseball was really affordable before he decided to try to sign all good players (and some mediocre ones) at whatever the cost.

Other teams point to the White Sox as villians. Believe ity or not, at one time the highest paid baseball player was on the roster and he had a clause where he would remain one of the three highest paid players. Crazy but true.

In the winter of 1996, Belle signed a 5-year, $55 million ($73,005,408 in current dollar terms) deal with the Chicago White Sox as a free agent. This contract made him the highest paid player in baseball for a brief period. Belle enjoyed two great seasons in Chicago, including a career-high 27-game hitting streak in May 1997. Belle came close to having another 50/50 season in 1998, with 49 home runs (a White Sox team record that still stands) and 48 doubles. Additionally, when Cal Ripken ended his record consecutive game streak in September 1998, it was Belle who took over as the major leagues' active leader in the category.

Belle's White Sox contract had an unusual clause allowing him to demand that he would remain one of the three highest paid players in baseball. In October 1998, Belle invoked the clause, and when the White Sox declined to give him a raise, Belle immediately became a free agent. Belle again became the game's highest paid player, signing a five-year, $65 million ($83,115,608 in current dollar terms) deal with the Baltimore Orioles. However, Belle ended his career just two seasons later, retiring at age 34 as a result of degenerative osteoarthritis in his hip. However, he was kept on Baltimore's active 40-man roster for the next three years, as a condition of the insurance policy which largely reimbursed the Orioles for the remainder of Belle's contract.

I think that $20 all in for parking at the stadium would be the target. It's petty but, the extra $3 always annoys me. All in all, I don't think the rates are unreasonable though. Try to park at Wrigley and it's usually double that much. If the money paid to park goes to the team and is reinvested in the on field product, I'm ok with that. There are alternatives around Sox Park if you want to pay a lower price - IIT, free street parking, metered areas, etc. $23 for a car with 4 people is probably less than the cost of the Metra + the CTA round trip or at least comparable. The Sox also are accomadating enough to open the lots early in the morning for people who work in the city and want to pay once for parking and take the el back in to work. Tailgate options so you don't have as much variable spend when you get into the game. I'd also say the proximity of the parking is much more convenient than many of the stadiums I've visited - fairly convenient getting out of the lots and on to the highway.

Here is the FWIW part of the post.

Parking at Bears games is $25, and that is at the 31st street lot.

The Bulls and Hawks look like this (from their website)

Public parking is available on all four sides of the United Center. Parking prices range from $20 to $35 depending on the lot selected. (Buses can park in Lot B at the corner of Damen Ave. and Warren Blvd. for $30. Handicapped parking is located in Lot G on the west end of the United Center off of Damen Ave.)

The Cubs basically have no parking of their own. The private parking starts at about the same price as USCF, but that involves being a mile away from the stadium. To get within a quarter mile gets at least double as expensive, if not more.

Yes folks, the Sox are the cheapest of all five major chicago pro teams for parking on a game by game basis, for the access you get to the ballpark.

Parking is priced pretty fair.

If 4 adults were to take the El (no transfers) it would cost $4.50 x 4= $18

So basically for a $1.25 more per person they get to park at the stadium.

If you had to take the Metra and El it is actually cheaper for 4 people to park and split the cost.

Edited by Soxbadger

wife and i live in Geneva. If we wanted to take the train(s) to the Sox game, we would need to pay...

$6.10/each way per person on Metra so right there you are at $24.40

CTA 4 round-trips at $2.25/ea= $10

So for the train, we are at $34.40

Maybe you can get a weekend pass on Metra (do they still do this for $5), so then its $20, instead of $34.40. But for $3, to wait from train-to-train and be dependent on schedules (especially Metra) its not worth it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
However, Belle ended his career just two seasons later, retiring at age 34 as a result of degenerative osteoarthritis in his hip. However, he was kept on Baltimore's active 40-man roster for the next three years, as a condition of the insurance policy which largely reimbursed the Orioles for the remainder of Belle's contract.

Hmm that is confusing. While we all know that baseball contracts are guaranteed if a player retires then I thought he essentially forgoes his contract and is not paid in full. So why did the orioles need an insurance policy to cover paying out Belle is he chooses to retire. I could the insurance policy being there if Belle say had some season ending injuries and rode the DL for a couple years.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 05:06 AM)
Hmm that is confusing. While we all know that baseball contracts are guaranteed if a player retires then I thought he essentially forgoes his contract and is not paid in full. So why did the orioles need an insurance policy to cover paying out Belle is he chooses to retire. I could the insurance policy being there if Belle say had some season ending injuries and rode the DL for a couple years.

IIRC an injury forced him to retire, he did not choose to retire. I always assumed the contract was written that way so that their was some "pain" for the team. The insurance company paid as long as he was an injured "player" so they kept him on the 40-man roster. Baseball contracts are guaranteed from injuries, unlike football.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
They also have a one hundred million dollar payroll. The cheap argument is an even older and more tired argument.

I never said they were cheap that is your assumption, I only said KW in his 50 cent comment is BS based on all streams of revenue!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
I never said they were cheap that is your assumption, I only said KW in his 50 cent comment is BS based on all streams of revenue!

So what in the heck are you saying? If they are spending the money they are taking in, why would you be freaking out about one of their revenue streams. That makes zero sense.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
IIRC an injury forced him to retire, he did not choose to retire. I always assumed the contract was written that way so that their was some "pain" for the team. The insurance company paid as long as he was an injured "player" so they kept him on the 40-man roster. Baseball contracts are guaranteed from injuries, unlike football.

Im still confused on what happens to a players contract if he retires...or is forced to retire as said by Drs due to an injury.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
$23 for parking and $30 a ticket is a steal compared to Notre Dame football.

Parking is $35 and tickets are almost $100 each. I'm sure that Bears and Bulls games are comparable if not higher.

Yeah but they have to charge higher prices for football and basketball...they have way less games to draw revenue from. Maybe 6 or 7 home games for college football and 41 for basketball (NBA)