Decades old war monument in peril

Texsox

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
Eh let it stay.

Scalia is an idiot, but it wouldnt be the first time he was completely ridiculous.

I would say that a cross would be one of the most insulting symbols to put up to honor a Jewish person.

Really? I would think any Muslim symbol would trump it. After all Jews and Christians share the Old Testament. I would believe, if you are going to make a mistake, a cross would be the least offensive of the world's religions. And it is even an easier choice in reverse. A Star of David would be perfectly fine for any Christian, it reflects our common history.

Well Christianity is basically the repudiation of Judaism in that the entire Jewish faith is based on the covenant between god and Abraham and the promise of the messiah.

The symbol of the cross (would imo) could be considered as breaking the following commandments: false idols, graven images and have no gods before me.

And I said "one of the most insulting", Im sure that many Jewish people would be more insulted by perhaps a Muslim moon or a Swastika.

And less offensive would be a religious symbol that had nothing to do with the faith that persecuted the Jews for in excess of a thousand years.

Christianity may be the continuation, but for a good part of history Christians went out of there way to kill Jews, even during the Crusades they would some times stop in a Jewish village just to murder and rape them.

Edited by Soxbadger

Then if we agree that each religions or countries symbols could be insults to another person's religion or nationality, does that mean we should ban all symbols, or learn a little tolerance and allow them?

I had no idea how many insulted Jews were walking around the US with all our Christian Churches.

Thats not at all what Im saying. Those churches in no way represent Jew's.

Then if we agree that each religions or countries symbols could be insults to another person's religion or nationality, does that mean we should ban all symbols, or learn a little tolerance and allow them?

It was the comment by Scalia that a cross would be an appropriate symbol to represent a Jew, because "Crosses are the most prolific symbol when it comes to death." The comment itself just shows a complete lack of understanding. If you want to create a memorial that represents Jews, Christians, Muslims etc, it seems some what insensitive to pick any of their symbols.

Id think that many Christians may find a Muslim moon being erected to represent all of the people who died in 9/11 a tad insensitive.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
Its not necessarily an offense for them to exist. Its offensive to think that another religion's symbolism would do a good job of representing theirs.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
It was the comment by Scalia that a cross would be an appropriate symbol to represent a Jew, because "Crosses are the most prolific symbol when it comes to death." The comment itself just shows a complete lack of understanding. If you want to create a memorial that represents Jews, Christians, Muslims etc, it seems some what insensitive to pick any of their symbols.

You both hit it on the head. That said, my issue is with Scalia's uninformed, condescending, and ignorant opinions. I still think the memorial should be preserved as an artifact that predates federal ownership of the land.

I heard it said recently that if Jesus were killed today, he'd be killed in an electric chair. Just think, instead of those crosses hanging from everyone's neck, and the churches, and everything else, it could be electric chairs. It gives a whole new meaning to symbols, I guess.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
I heard it said recently that if Jesus were killed today, he'd be killed in an electric chair. Just think, instead of those crosses hanging from everyone's neck, and the churches, and everything else, it could be electric chairs. It gives a whole new meaning to symbols, I guess.

What a weird notion for anyone to contemplate. What would Jesus be sentenced for today that would warrant capital punishment according to US laws? Maybe he'd be locked up under the belief he's a raving lunatic with delusions of divinity, but I don't thing that would get him the chair.

I get the point — that the alleged instrument of execution for Jesus has become the principal symbol of Christianity. It just seems like a lazy and not particularly nuanced observation.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
Part of the reason for the "Cross" symbol is its similarity to the Egyptian "Ankh."

Flasoxx,

I agree it should stay. Just not for the reasons why Scalia says.

Ankhs are wicked cool, Dr. Fate used 'em, so they're totally cool. Doctor Fate could kick Dr. Strange's grey-templed a$$, and all you Marvel losers know it.

blue_devil_fate.jpg

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 09:08 PM)
What a weird notion for anyone to contemplate. What would Jesus be sentenced for today that would warrant capital punishment according to US laws? Maybe he'd be locked up under the belief he's a raving lunatic with delusions of divinity, but I don't thing that would get him the chair.

I get the point — that the alleged instrument of execution for Jesus has become the principal symbol of Christianity. It just seems like a lazy and not particularly nuanced observation.

I don't think it was an observation about what laws were being broken, as you mentioned at the end, it was just picking our worst way of passing the death penalty and the worst way of that time.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 10:17 PM)
I don't think it was an observation about what laws were being broken, as you mentioned at the end, it was just picking our worst way of passing the death penalty and the worst way of that time.

Well, it could be by lethal injection, so you'd have a cross-shaped table instead :ph34r:

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Really? I would think any Muslim symbol would trump it. After all Jews and Christians share the Old Testament. I would believe, if you are going to make a mistake, a cross would be the least offensive of the world's religions. And it is even an easier choice in reverse. A Star of David would be perfectly fine for any Christian, it reflects our common history.

Muslims don't reject the Old Testament. That's why those three are called the "religions of the book." They are descended from Abraham like jews and christians.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
Muslims don't reject the Old Testament. That's why those three are called the "religions of the book." They are descended from Abraham like jews and christians.

True. My mistake. I was thinking politics in one case and scripture in another.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 11:17 PM)

The cross didn't become the symbol of Christianity until the religion itself started to get militarized. The fish is the original symbol of Christianity IIRC.

BTW: I expect the supreme court to completely sidestep the greater issue and rule that the land swap is an acceptable solution for the issue in question.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
The cross didn't become the symbol of Christianity until the religion itself started to get militarized. The fish is the original symbol of Christianity IIRC.

Dude, that was a long time ago. . . how old are you?

:)