Better game 163...

southsider2k5

Better game 163...  

100 members have voted

1. 1. So which year was the better one game AL Central playoff?

• 2008 Sox versus Twins, Sox 1-0 victory
    • 2009 Twins versus Tigers, Twins win 6-5 in 12 innings

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
True. The losing manager of last night's game could be second guessed on a lot of stuff.

Like why not pitch Nathan two innings? Lots of strategy I can't remember right now. It's part of the game. I do think most people realize those 2 managers are pretty darn good.

Well Nathan wasnt on the losing team, so the losing manager didnt need to worry about his innings except hoping that he is not going to pitch for a long time

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Not sure if you noticed, but DET was nearly out of pitchers, and this was a truly do or die game. So, if Rodney still has his stuff, then you definitely keep him in there until he shows signs that he is running out of gas.

sure i noticed, detroit used 5 pitchers. they had at least 2 reliever and probably a starter who could go. plus probably some september callups. a closer cannot pitch 4 innings, he was clearly gassed. a guy who has been pitching one inning all season is not stretched out to go 4. not to mention those innings last night were all high stress innings

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
On the other hand, DET's bullpen isn't exactly loaded with solid arms, and if you take our Rodney, you go to some scrub who will probably fail.

My point isn't necessarily that it was the right call - it was that this idea that it was CLEARLY the wrong one is ignoring the full picture of the situation.

very true, the question came down to who is better, Rodney at 80% left or whatever other scrub was in the bullpen (did they use Perry or Seay?), either call could have lost them the game

look at the Twins, they were forced to throw Keppel out there, who got as close to giving up runs as possible, I'm sure gardy wasnt confident with him out there, but it worked out

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
I can sum it up as...

Baseball fans prefer yesterday (exciting, errors, mental gaffes, working over mistakes).

White Sox fans prefer the Blackout (each pitch mattering, HOFers, defense, pitchers duel)

fixed it for ya.

And each pitch mattered last night as much as the 2008 game. And the HOFers is a stretch.

Last night's game was very exciting, but a lot of the big moments were the result of defensive lapses, mental gaffes, fluke plays, and bad umpiring. In contrast, the blackout game was two teams playing fantastic baseball for nine innings. So while I find last night's game to be very entertaining, I think the blackout game was a much better played baseball game.

Edited by Sox It To Em

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
fixed it for ya.

And each pitch mattered last night as much as the 2008 game. And the HOFers is a stretch.

There were at least two HOFers in that game with Thome and Griffey. Guys like Mauer, Nathan, and Morneau could be very well in that class in another 10 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
There were at least two HOFers in that game with Thome and Griffey. Guys like Mauer, Nathan, and Morneau could be very well in that class in another 10 years.

I mean its a stretch to put HOFers playing makes it a better game.