Getz vs. Nix

balfanman

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
Getz is yet to prove he has the skills of a leadoff man. His OPB trends suggest he will never get that close. Furthermore, with below-average defensive skills and no pop at all, he is far from an ideal option for an America League club competing in a home-run hitters park.. I'm yet to see why people thing Getz will be so good, must arguments suggest he'll turn into a radicaly different player.. I understand he's a smart guy, with great speed, but he's not much of a hitter and he's not much of a fielder. I'd let CJ Retherford compete for the job, and hope like hell, Nix can hit for a sustained batting average.

So you would be happy with a team full of swing for the fences guys just because of our park and the fact we are in the AL?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 05:39 AM)
Didn't Getz play several positions in the minors as well? I seem to remember that he even played some outfield.

I believe you are correct. Getz has played 2B, SS, 3B, and OF in his minor league career. He actually had 52 starts at short.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
I believe you are correct. Getz has played 2B, SS, 3B, and OF in his minor league career. He actually had 52 starts at short.

This is why I believe that the best case scenario just might be that if (IF) what C. J. Retherford is doing in the Fall League is for real and he has arrived as a ballplayer, is to have Retherford start at 2nd base next season with Getz being the utility man.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
The fact that O-Dug and Brian Roberts are that low on the list saws a lot right there. Hell, Aaron Hill is a negative .8. There is nothing on that list that makes me think UZR is at all reliable.

In fact, if anything else, it tells me that UZR is a joke.

Just out of interest, how many times did you watch Orlando Hudson and Brian Roberts play this year?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
This is why I believe that the best case scenario just might be that if (IF) what C. J. Retherford is doing in the Fall League is for real and he has arrived as a ballplayer, is to have Retherford start at 2nd base next season with Getz being the utility man.

IMO CJ would have to play himself onto the MLB club as a reserve, then play himself into a starting role over Getz. The Sox may want some guys around in Spring to "push" Getz, but I don't see Getz being in any danger of losing his starting job at this point.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
IMO CJ would have to play himself onto the MLB club as a reserve, then play himself into a starting role over Getz. The Sox may want some guys around in Spring to "push" Getz, but I don't see Getz being in any danger of losing his starting job at this point.

You may be correct and I'm fine with that. I like Getz as a ballplayer and he can improve just as easily as anyone else in this discussion. It could be that Retherford could be the better utility man anyway. I have never seen Retherford play, I'm just going off of the various reports on this site.

Can someone tell me what Retherfords defensive capabilities are? I understand that he, like Getz, is primarily a 2nd baseman, but has played other spots as well. Does he have good range, arm strength, etc. for other positions?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
Did anybody else get the impression that Getz has a noodle arm at 2B? I'm still in the Pro-Getz/Hope CJ Is Amazing category, but I don't think he is very good defensively at all.

I think he has a bad arm. He can set up on most double plays and get his body into the throw. But if he ranges to his right and his momentum is going the wrong way he doesn't seem to get anything on the throw.

I really expected Getz to walk more than he did. I didn't really expect Nix to so much as make the team. Nix exceeded my expectations for him and Getz fell short. I may irrationally favor Nix because of that.

To answer the question about Nix vs. righties--I really don't remember how he looked.

I don't actually know Nix's numbers vs. RHP and I only have to assume it sucks. I'm only going off the few times this year that I saw him do anything vs. RHP, and he didn't look good. He very well may improve if given time. He may have hit a wall vs. MLB RHP. I don't know. I'm just saying what I see.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Just out of interest, how many times did you watch Orlando Hudson and Brian Roberts play this year?

I probably saw Hudson play 50-70 times. My dad is a die-hard Dodger fan and I live in Orange County so I get every Dodger game. Brian Roberts I only saw a few times.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
I don't actually know Nix's numbers vs. RHP and I only have to assume it sucks. I'm only going off the few times this year that I saw him do anything vs. RHP, and he didn't look good. He very well may improve if given time. He may have hit a wall vs. MLB RHP. I don't know. I'm just saying what I see.

.194/.292/.326

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
You may be correct and I'm fine with that. I like Getz as a ballplayer and he can improve just as easily as anyone else in this discussion. It could be that Retherford could be the better utility man anyway. I have never seen Retherford play, I'm just going off of the various reports on this site.

Can someone tell me what Retherfords defensive capabilities are? I understand that he, like Getz, is primarily a 2nd baseman, but has played other spots as well. Does he have good range, arm strength, etc. for other positions?

I think he was pretty decent at 3B for the Warthogs (before they were the Dash) and I believe JPN said he had been doing well at 2B also. I don't think he's a world-beater with the glove, but he should be good enough for his bat to be an asset.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
I actually think Nix played over his head offensively in 2009. I remember how overmatched he was in his two shots with the Rockies. 2009 might be as good as it gets for Nix.

You do realize Nix played only 22 games, got only 65 PA's, was getting his 1st shot in the majors, and even then played nearly flawless defense, correct? He was then sent down to destroy AAA, and help lead Team USA.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
You do realize Nix played only 22 games, got only 65 PA's, was getting his 1st shot in the majors, and even then played nearly flawless defense, correct? He was then sent down to destroy AAA, and help lead Team USA.

um, I'm a fan of Nix's defense too (see my posts from this summer), but...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
um, I'm a fan of Nix's defense too (see my posts from this summer), but...

Nix saved 3.1 runs on defense in 2008. It's a limited sample size, but that's really good. Furthermore, he was even better on defense this year. Hell, he was even better on offense this year. I'm not seeing the logic in anyone saying that he didn't improve.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
His defense wasn't flawless by any means at all, it was flashes of brilliance at times, and extremely erratic at others.

He was still ten runs better then Chris Getz. He was shaky at SS, because he'd never played there before. Getz is the more worthy utility man, becasue Nix is the drastically better 2b.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
He was still ten runs better then Chris Getz. He was shaky at SS, because he'd never played there before. Getz is the more worthy utility man, becasue Nix is the drastically better 2b.

You're being awfully generous - he was brutal at SS. Enough to make me feel stupid for suggesting he see extended time at SS earlier in the year.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
You're being awfully generous - he was brutal at SS. Enough to make me feel stupid for suggesting he see extended time at SS earlier in the year.

My point is that he never should have been playing SS or LF for that matter. Jayson Nix isn’t a utility man, he‘s a damn good second basemen. Chris Getz, however, has experienced some success all around the field in the minors. That’s where I think he belongs in the bigs. If he can be serviceable off the bench, all-around the field, I see value in him. Mostly, because I really like the mindset that he brings to the table, I don’t think he has the proper skill set to start for a team in the AL, but I really do think he’s the most fundamentally sound player (other than AJ) on this team.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 11:57 AM)
My point is that he never should have been playing SS or LF for that matter. Jayson Nix isn’t a utility man, he‘s a damn good second basemen. Chris Getz, however, has experienced some success all around the field in the minors. That’s where I think he belongs in the bigs. If he can be serviceable off the bench, all-around the field, I see value in him. Mostly, because I really like the mindset that he brings to the table, I don’t think he has the proper skill set to start for a team in the AL, but I really do think he’s the most fundamentally sound player (other than AJ) on this team.

Until Nix can hit right handed pitchers with more consistency, He is a utility player. Currently Nix is a right handed pull hitter who has success against lefties but gets exposed against righties.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
Until Nix can hit right handed pitchers with more consistency, He is a utility player. Currently Nix is a right handed pull hitter who has success against lefties but gets exposed against righties.

LOL for capitalizing "he." Are you buying into the Nix = God of Defense stuff?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)

In reality he isn't even a utility player, because the only spot he plays any defense at is second base. He is horrible at SS and 3B.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
In reality he isn't even a utility player, because the only spot he plays any defense at is second base. He is horrible at SS and 3B.

I was somewhat astonished that a guy could look that good defensively at 2b and that bad everywhere else.