Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
i agree. I just think OG and KW may be obsessed with getting guys who can run. We definitely need a couple 30 HR threats at least. That's why i'd like to see either a Dunn or Blalock be brought in instead of a guy like Polanco.

Trade paulie for the best starter/reliever combo you can get preferable a rather cheap one so you have the money to make a FA splash

Trade Floyd and Hudson (and more than likely spects) for Adrian Gonzalez

By trading paulie and floyd youve freed up a ton of cash in which i would use to go hard after chone figgins and Nick johnson

thats how i would attempt to do s*** if i was KW

youve then got Figgins Johnson Beckham Gonzalez Q Rios AJ Lexi Teahan with Peavy Buehrle Danks Garcia whoever you get for paulie

that right there = Championship imo

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
Yeah that probably was a bad comparison but he's one of the Brewers top prospects and was a top 30 prospect in baseball going into this year. My point was basically he's not the kind of player we should realistically be looking to acquire. You say the Brewers might dangle him for pitching. Well, that means bye bye to Floyd or Danks and I would not be willing to do that.

I don't want Gamel anyway. I was just saying that unlike Beckham, he's not an untouchable.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
Trade paulie for the best starter/reliever combo you can get preferable a rather cheap one so you have the money to make a FA splash

Trade Floyd and Hudson (and more than likely spects) for Adrian Gonzalez

By trading paulie and floyd youve freed up a ton of cash in which i would use to go hard after chone figgins and Nick johnson

thats how i would attempt to do s*** if i was KW

youve then got Figgins Johnson Beckham Gonzalez Q Rios AJ Lexi Teahan with Peavy Buehrle Danks Garcia whoever you get for paulie

that right there = Championship imo

1. We should start off by canceling this deal for Teahen since he's not worth his contract.

2. I'd love Adrian, but I wouldn't give up Floyd or Danks. They can have Hudson and all the prospects they want, and if they won't take that, then we look elsewhere for a bat.

3. Chone Figgins at 4+ years or whatever he's going to get has the potential to be a pretty bad deal. Once his speed declines he's essentially a glorified bench player.

4. Nick Johnson can't be counted on. He should be pretty far down on our list this offseason.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
1. We should start off by canceling this deal for Teahen since he's not worth his contract.

2. I'd love Adrian, but I wouldn't give up Floyd or Danks. They can have Hudson and all the prospects they want, and if they won't take that, then we look elsewhere for a bat.

3. Chone Figgins at 4+ years or whatever he's going to get has the potential to be a pretty bad deal. Once his speed declines he's essentially a glorified bench player.

4. Nick Johnson can't be counted on. He should be pretty far down on our list this offseason.

Agreed

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)

1. I think everyone here dislikes this trade because theyre comparing teahan and dye if KW goes out and gets a bopper you then compare getz to teahan which while getz looks like he can be a pretty good scrappy young player with teahan youve got a guy that i see putting up atleast 15/65. Everyone needs to wait to see how this offseason rolls out.

2. It'd be nice to have 5 stud starters but once you hit the postseason you dont really need 5 so if you can trade floyd or danks to bring in an adrian gonzalez i do it in a heartbeat. Hell Id be fine with seein carlos torres out there every 5th day if it means we got a young lefty bat that can give us 40 homers and 100+ RBI.

3. Sure it has the potential to be a bad deal in 3 or 4 years but would you trade a legit WS contending team for the next 2 or 3 years for a year or 2 of a potentially bad contract?

4. Nick Johnson is just a cheap dream i think a lot of us have on this board have. the man has a career .402 career OBP you can not say that wouldnt look sexy in the 2 spot of our lineup. Plus he'd be our DH in my lil offseason so thi risk for injury is A LOT less.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)

Figgins put up a .395 OBP this year (.363 career) and can play a number of positions competently. I agree with your general point of cost-effectiveness, but he'll be far from a bench player when he can't steal 40 bases/season anymore.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
2. It'd be nice to have 5 stud starters but once you hit the postseason you dont really need 5 so if you can trade floyd or danks to bring in an adrian gonzalez i do it in a heartbeat. Hell Id be fine with seein carlos torres out there every 5th day if it means we got a young lefty bat that can give us 40 homers and 100+ RBI.

If the Sox trade a starter, it shouldn't be Floyd or Danks. Those guys are proven major-league talent, they're relatively young, and they have manageable contracts. Hudson is the guy that you dangle. Hell, I'd deal Buehrle before I dealt those two.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:54 AM)
Release jenks? You really think he is potentially worth nothing whatsoever? Unless he does something extremely severe in his personal life, there is zero chance they would release him.

There has been speculation in the media that the Sox would be forced to release him due to his arb number (his calf injury and the Sox publicly bashing his workout regimen don't help either). I agree that somebody would probably be willing to deal for him. The Mets paying good money for Putz coming off of an injury-shortened season (to be a setup guy, to boot) is good precedent.

For what it is worth i highly dislike this unconfirmed trade, as it hinders us rather than benefits us, is multiple ways.

I feel less strongly about it, but agree in general.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
1. I think everyone here dislikes this trade because theyre comparing teahan and dye if KW goes out and gets a bopper you then compare getz to teahan which while getz looks like he can be a pretty good scrappy young player with teahan youve got a guy that i see putting up atleast 15/65. Everyone needs to wait to see how this offseason rolls out.

3. Sure it has the potential to be a bad deal in 3 or 4 years but would you trade a legit WS contending team for the next 2 or 3 years for a year or 2 of a potentially bad contract?

4. Nick Johnson is just a cheap dream i think a lot of us have on this board have. the man has a career .402 career OBP you can not say that wouldnt look sexy in the 2 spot of our lineup. Plus he'd be our DH in my lil offseason so thi risk for injury is A LOT less.

Interesting points. I'm wondering if we have the talent to land Gonzalez though. Seems like we would be up against LAD and BOS and both of them have deeper farm systems than we do, at least from what I've read.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Interesting points. I'm wondering if we have the talent to land Gonzalez though. Seems like we would be up against LAD and BOS and both of them have deeper farm systems than we do, at least from what I've read.

I suspect that Hudson and Flowers would have to be a part of that deal. Because of that, I don't see it happening.

Considerin Teahen's salary is not that much and is predictable over the next 2 years, I think KW has seen that he can have 2 players at the cost of Jermaine Dye and will sign either another pen arm, a Cuban player or will use that cost savings to make a free agent signing of a middle of the road or 2 year player at DH. Teahen and Kotsay have basically every backup position covered outside of 2, and we really need a LHP out of the pen.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)

With what should be available on the free agent market at a cost of only money, not players, Teahen will have to perform pretty far beyond his norms to be worthy of his salary. Mark Teahen the player is not an issue. Mark Teahen the contract however is.

We don't have 5 stud starters, we have 4 plus a very good back end guy in Freddy and a nice prospect in Hudson. There are no guarantees, and the last thing I want to do is weaken our starting staff. And Carlos Torres is terrible.

I don't see Figgins as a guy who puts us over the top. I love prototypical lead-off hitters and I think those guys are generally undervalued by the common stathead fans these days, but that said, I think the Sox focus on putting s***ty players in the lead-off spot over recent years is causing some people to overrate the contributions of such a player. IMO team speed, team contact, and team OBP are more important overall, and though a guy like Figgins may help, he's not going to transform the offense into something that doesn't piss us off all by himself.

It depends on what he makes and how many years he gets. I like his skill set, but you have to keep in mind that you can't count on him being healthy, as a DH or anything else. If you commit salary to him then you need to be able to have something left over to pick up somebody else later on should he get hurt and find himself on the DL for half of the season. And if we're looking for a lefty-hitting DH, the difference in price between Nick Johnson and a guy like Matsui shouldn't exactly be a massive one, and if that's the case, then give me Matsui.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
I suspect that Hudson and Flowers would have to be a part of that deal. Because of that, I don't see it happening.

But if that did happen...they would almost be able to field 1/3 of a team with all of our farm players.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
Considerin Teahen's salary is not that much and is predictable over the next 2 years, I think KW has seen that he can have 2 players at the cost of Jermaine Dye and will sign either another pen arm, a Cuban player or will use that cost savings to make a free agent signing of a middle of the road or 2 year player at DH. Teahen and Kotsay have basically every backup position covered outside of 2, and we really need a LHP out of the pen.

Buddy Bell must be on board on this deal. Teahen has the tools, so I just hope it works out.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
Trade is done. Cash is coming over from KC.

Shiny, everybody can be happy now. Assuming we get a fair amount from the Royals, the money we get from both this and the Dye buy out will supplement further moves. We got a high-potential Utility guy out of it, and lost a bust of a 1st-round pick, and a younger, injury prone utility guy. I see this as a win.

So, this is what Broadway, Fields, Poreda, and Anderson gone inside of a year? Think Kyle McCulloch is a little scared, right now?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:14 AM)
Trade is done. Cash is coming over from KC.

Ok, this makes me a bit happier. If we get a mill or two, I'm ok with the move cause it really gives Kenny the flexibility to make some interesting moves.

I also wonder if Retherford has really opened the org's eyes to the point that it made Getz a bit more expendable. Or was Getz moved because of the stuff said in that Gonzalez interview.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
I also wonder if Retherford has really opened the org's eyes to the point that it made Getz a bit more expendable. Or was Getz moved because of the stuff said in that Gonzalez interview.

God, i hope it's the 1st. If we really moved a good kid like Getz, because Dye took issue with some generic, young comment of his then i've lost a lot of respect for this organization.