Official Boxing Thread

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 3, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Caulfield nobody is going to take your opinion seriously if you actually thought Manny won that fight.

Listen, I grew up with Hagler, Hearns, Macho Camacho, Sugar Ray Leonard.

From a technical standpoint, sure. But back in the day, boxers could also fight and vice-versa.

They had the ability to do both, and also put on a show for fans who paid good money.

Same with Mike Tyson in his prime.

In alll honesty, I didnt watch the last six rounds closely because they were so boring. I was taking care of my baby, writing about the Sox game, listening to the Rangers game in extras....perhaps I was rooting more with heart than a rational technical side because I have many friends from the Philippines.

Fine...after watching them on replay, i can admit Mayweather's strategy workeed perfectly, he frustrated Manny and wore him down, landed more punches, kept him at bay with his jabs and reach advantage, blah blah blah.

I still think it was a lot closer than the judges scored it....and it was terribly disappointing as well. For someone who hasnt watched a full match in a decade, it made me never want to watch again if thats the payoff.

Id prefer marquez pacman five but one of tthem would end up dead.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 3, 2015 -> 02:53 AM)
Yeah Mayweather did win the fight and I too hate his fighting style. It's just so dull and boring but it gets the job done in terms of winning the decision.

Pacquiao just had no answer for that turtle defense.

He's like the best neutral zone trapping hockey team of all time. Boring but effective.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 3, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
How does Torii hunter picking Floyd to win make him condone domestic abuse?

It was his follow-up tweet about how what Floyd does out of the ring is none of Torii's business, which begs the question why a potentially gay teammate would bother him so much

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
Listen, I grew up with Hagler, Hearns, Macho Camacho, Sugar Ray Leonard.

From a technical standpoint, sure. But back in the day, boxers could also fight and vice-versa.

They had the ability to do both, and also put on a show for fans who paid good money.

Same with Mike Tyson in his prime.

In alll honesty, I didnt watch the last six rounds closely because they were so boring. I was taking care of my baby, writing about the Sox game, listening to the Rangers game in extras....perhaps I was rooting more with heart than a rational technical side because I have many friends from the Philippines.

Fine...after watching them on replay, i can admit Mayweather's strategy workeed perfectly, he frustrated Manny and wore him down, landed more punches, kept him at bay with his jabs and reach advantage, blah blah blah.

I still think it was a lot closer than the judges scored it....and it was terribly disappointing as well. For someone who hasnt watched a full match in a decade, it made me never want to watch again if thats the payoff.

Id prefer marquez pacman five but one of tthem would end up dead.

So you haven't watched a fight in a decade but you're going to comment on his place in history?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
So you haven't watched a fight in a decade but you're going to comment on his place in history?

The same way I don't have to watch every LeBron James regular season game to assess where he stands vs. Jordan or Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan.

He's a technical counter-puncher who rarely goes for the knockout and dances his way out of trouble...but he has never once had a great fight in his career, a Thrilla in Manila or even one that's particularly memorable.

To go down as the greatest, you have to have 2-3 rivals that elevate you to that level, like Palmer and Watson and Player for Jack Nicklaus, etc.

Foreman/Liston/Frazier for Ali, etc.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 3, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
You know who is happy that fight sucked? Jamie Foxx. Nobody is talking about the worst anthem ever.

Morning news today are getting on him.

I've never found him that talented before and now even more so.

Reading that Max Kellerman is getting heat for his post fight interview with Pac. I didn't see anything to get down on him about. Post fight interviews are always awkward. So much adrenaline and emotion from the fighters, winners or losers. Probably more so than any other sport.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Reading that Max Kellerman is getting heat for his post fight interview with Pac. I didn't see anything to get down on him about. Post fight interviews are always awkward. So much adrenaline and emotion from the fighters, winners or losers. Probably more so than any other sport.

It seemed like typical questions until Manny revealed that he thought he won. I don't blame Kellerman for jumping on that note, trying to figure out why Manny thought that despite being significantly outlanded. If Manny's corner was telling him he was up (or even), and that was part of the reason he was showing no urgency in the final rounds, that's noteworthy.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 6, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Pacquiao was injured and is having surgery on his shoulder. Mayweather tentatively said he would fight him again.

Queue up ROUND DEUX

All seems like a ploy to me to drum up interest in a rematch. I wont be ordering it if it happens, that's for sure.

• 1 year later...