Would Troy Glaus be a fit for DH?

Buehrlesque

I haven't heard his name mentioned yet, and the Sox don't appear to be linked to him in any way, but would free agent Troy Glaus be a fit for the DH spot next year? His 2009 was a total wash- he only played 14 games due to injury. But his last full season line was .270/.372/.483 with 27 HRs and 99 RBIs in '08.

He's an injury waiting to happen, but so was Jim Thome when the Sox acquired him after '05. Maybe the cliched Move Him To DH/Herm's Magic Touch could help him stay healthy next year?

At 33, he's younger than Thome, Matsui, Vlad and Delgado. (The Sox are allegedly looking for a lefty bat, and Glaus hits right-handed.) If healthy (the big if) he could probably give you 25-30 HRs, .360-.370 OBP and .480-.500 SLG. Plus he can play a little 1B (his 3B days are probably over), adding to Ozzie's versatility.

Not sure what kind of contract he is looking for, but if he's inexpensive might he be an option? Thoughts?

Edited by Buehrlesque

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
I haven't heard his name mentioned yet, and the Sox don't appear to be linked to him in any way, but would free agent Troy Glaus be a fit for the DH spot next year? His 2009 was a total wash- he only played 14 games due to injury. But his last full season line was .270/.372/.483 with 27 HRs and 99 RBIs in '08.

He's an injury waiting to happen, but so was Jim Thome when the Sox acquired him after '05. Maybe the cliched Move Him To DH/Herm's Magic Touch could help him stay healthy next year?

At 33, he's younger than Thome, Matsui, Vlad and Delgado. (The Sox are allegedly looking for a lefty bat, and Glaus hits right-handed.) If healthy (the big if) he could probably give you 25-30 HRs, .360-.370 OBP and .480-.500 SLG. Plus he can play a little 1B (his 3B days are probably over), adding to Ozzie's versatility.

Not sure what kind of contract he is looking for, but if he's inexpensive might he be an option? Thoughts?

Glaus was in the Mitchell Report as having multiple shipments of steriods and PED's sent to his home. Don't think he'll be putting up any .480 -.500 slugging anytime soon, especially not for the White Sox.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Glaus' shoulder has to be hanging on a thread by now, doesn't it?

Supposedly he just took a physical and is going to make the results public so interested teams can judge for themselves. Obviously, if the results look bad, you pass. I wouldn't pay him a nickel to play 3B anyway, but he might still be able to hit.

And of course he was a juicer with the Angels in the early '00s. That doesn't mean that he is Jerry Owens now- he still hit 27 HRs and slugged .483 in '08 well after the Mitchell Report and stricter testing/punishments.