Darren Oliver?

ChiliIrishHammock24

Think we should try for Oliver with a 1 year deal? I know he is pretty old, but he is a lefty coming off 2 great years with the Angels.

I see the Rangers are pushing for him right now, should Kenny pursue? If we can get Oliver, then that really puts Jenks on the outs as we would have Putz close, Thornton for the 8th, and Oliver for the 7th, but it would also give us a rather expensive bullpen assuming Oliver would get around 2-3 M/year.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/O/Darren-Oliver.shtml

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
Nah, we don't need a second lefty bad enough to pay for Oliver. It'll probably be Randy Williams.

edit - maybe Beimel if they can get him for like, 1mil, but even then i'd think twice.

I have been pulling for Beimel for a couple years now. Maybe it was because of this video...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
If the money's there for a DH and Oliver...sure. If I have to pick between them, give me a DH.

I am actually really looking forward to Andruw Jones dh'ing. The guy dropped 17 bombs and 18 doubles in only 82 games last year. That's Jim Thome type power numbers, and Thome did not exactly hit for average either. I just have a feeling Jones will have a real good year with us and hit 25-30 dingers while hitting around .240 and an OBP about .340. There are better options out there, but I would be content with Jones as our DH.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
MLBTraderumors is saying he may be close to signing with the Rangers....

per rotoworld:

Darren Oliver-R-Angels Dec. 20 - 10:06 pm et

According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Darren Oliver's contract with the Rangers will be worth at least $3.65 million over one year.

Oliver made $3.65 million in 2009 while posting a 2.71 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 65/22 K/BB in 73 innings. He was asking for a raise this offseason and drew enough interest that he likely obtained it.

Source: Dallas Morning News