LinkedIn

SoxFan1

I have one, but I don't really use it. Every job opportunity, internship, etc., I have found via people I know, school or on my own. I think it something that if I take the time to build better and use it more as a tool than just a standing resume, it could be of good use. It's definitely not a bad idea to create one because it can't hurt.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 04:30 AM)
Anyone use it or have a profile? It seems like it could be one hell of a tool for people looking for work/services, so I figured I'd see if anyone on SoxTalk had one...

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)
I have one, but I don't really use it. Every job opportunity, internship, etc., I have found via people I know, school or on my own. I think it something that if I take the time to build better and use it more as a tool than just a standing resume, it could be of good use. It's definitely not a bad idea to create one because it can't hurt.

I reunited with a couple old friends that were not on Facebook, but professionaly, just haven't found any value.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
LinkedIn has recommended to me some other SoxTalkers whom I have never communicated with outside of this forum. I don't think I've ever shared my name here and I don't think they have (publicly, at least) either.

That creeped me out.

Really? I wonder how that happened? There's got to be something coming through on the cookies, but if they're doing that, it is creepy.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
I think it's a necessary tool for college grads to show the recruiters what they have to offer.

That's what resumes are for. It's more about networking, but I haven't seen a major advantage from it yet.

I believe a lot of people use it though to reach out to people they might not have known work at a company they have interest working at.

For example, lets say you are looking for a new job and apply and than discover a colleague of yours or someone you know is connected to a guy/gal that works at the company you want to work at. You can reach out and get someone from within the company to vouch for you (and that goes a long way).

Basically put, its how you use it.

Personally I have an account and don't use it, but if you put into it and utilize it, it can be real beneficial. I essentially do the same thing, but I've always done it with people I'm close too. Luckily I have quite a few solid connections in my field area from being heavily involved in an accounting business organization and than starting and working closely with a lot of colleagues at a big public company.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 19, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
That's what resumes are for. It's more about networking, but I haven't seen a major advantage from it yet.

Resumes show your skills, but having someone on the inside show your resume to HR or a manager is a way to ensure you get interviewed. Otherwise you are relying on the stupid search engines that the companies have that go over your resume picking out enough key words to give you a call.