Tim Tebow to appear in anti-abortion Super Bowl ad

Balta1701

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
As for this example, what is the difference between pharmaceutical advertisements pushing their products, and what the Tebow's and this organization are doing here? I need a physician to PRESCRIBE these drugs to me. I need to go into a doctor, and regardless of how badly I may want to take Lipitor, if I don't need it, or if it will likely do me harm because of some other health problem or some other drugs I am currently taking, that physician will not prescribe it to me.

However, if I am a mother, and I am pregnant, and there is a significant or larger than customary risk involved in me taking that pregnancy to term, guess what? I can say F' off Dr. Jones, I am taking this pregnancy to term and that is my natural inalienable right in this country. So regardless of whether you agree, regardless of whether you beg and plead with me not to take this pregnancy to term, I am doing just that, and there is nothing you can do about it.

And the mother can say, F' off Doc I'm having this baby with or without Tebow's ad. Do you really think that a mother does not understand that is an option? Do you really think that a Doctor would not discuss all options in this case? They can tell the Doctor to F' off, I'm not taking those drugs.

You seem to be worried that she will have information that may suport a decision you disagree with. What made momma Tebow decide to accept the risks? Was it some ad on TV? This is a real life situation that people face. You may not find that decision difficult, you would just abort and move on at the slightest risk, for others it is not as clear cut. You would prefer someone makes this life or death decision after only receiving half of the information.

Today, most people when faced with a difficult decision start researching, smart people research both sides.

I'm not certain what I would recommend if it were my wife or daughter. I know I would support either decision. I would probably wish she would take the safe route. But I would definately want her to hear stories from both women who carried and women who aborted. I would want her to hear what went rigth and what went wrong.

Sad that it seems it is easy to support the woman who aborts but if they are considering motherhood, even with risks, some people don't even want them to know it is an option. Not exactly support in my book. It takes more hubris than even Tex to tell someone what they should and should not be informed of in making a medical decision.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
And the mother can say, F' off Doc I'm having this baby with or without Tebow's ad. Do you really think that a mother does not understand that is an option? Do you really think that a Doctor would not discuss all options in this case? They can tell the Doctor to F' off, I'm not taking those drugs.

Frankly, a huge amount of effort politically has, over the past few years, gone into designing and enacting laws that are either designed because it's believed that's 100% true, or because there's a need for a direct intervention to intimidate people from getting that procedure. The 48 hour waiting periods enacted, the requirements that doctors take certain steps to try to talk the patient out of having an abortion or at least provide often inaccurate information about the other negative health outcomes of having an abortion.

If "not understanding that is an option" is not an issue, then it's straight out intimidation.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
You ignore the countless commercials for finding a bank for a mortgage, goods/services to upgrading your home, taking prescription drugs, investment advice, etc etc, all things that shouldn't just be bought up in 10 seconds simply by seeing some hot broad show some cleavage, yet they're still advertising their product without such a negative response.

Really? You can't just tune it out, like everyone tunes out every other commercial that's on tv? And I think there's a huge assumption here on what the message is. If they both scream at the tv "ABORTION IS MURDER, YOU"RE GOING TO BURN IN HELL IF YOU DO IT" then I'd agree with you. But that won't be the message. The message will be - i valued the life of my unborn son, despite the odds. That's an option you can choose too.

Is it really that awful to say "hey baby's are important too?" And again, I don't think they're going to be telling people what to do, I think they're going to tell people that abortion is serious business and that you should consider the alternative.

I suppose. But I think the message is a good one, so why not celebrate the fact that for 30 seconds out of a 6 hour broadcast someone actually states something meaingful versus shoving boobs/beer/chips in my face?

I don't think that's the intent behind the commercial. Again, it's "hey, here's our story, we didn't immediately think about aborting our child, maybe you should think about that too."

Well, I'm not going to argue this into the ground. We all have our opinions.

That being said, this isn't a commercial that is similar to any of those you listed. This is a commercial that is attempting to imply that mothers who chose to abort their fetus to avoid significant health risks somehow "took the easy way out," or are baby murderers. It also implies that had these women took their pregnancy to term, they very well might have had the next collegian football star. Instead, they murdered him by taking the "safe" and "ungodly" way out.

I'm not trying to pretend as if Americans can't use this opportunity to take a leak, or turn away from the tv. I understand Americans are smart enough to see through the message. I just think it's in poor taste. I think it's playing on people's guilt and it's inappropriate.

I've said enough on the topic, I think you all know how I feel. No need to continue ranting and raving.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)

You seem to be worried that she will have information that may suport a decision you disagree with. What made momma Tebow decide to accept the risks? Was it some ad on TV? This is a real life situation that people face. You may not find that decision difficult, you would just abort and move on at the slightest risk, for others it is not as clear cut. You would prefer someone makes this life or death decision after only receiving half of the information.

Today, most people when faced with a difficult decision start researching, smart people research both sides.

I'm not certain what I would recommend if it were my wife or daughter. I know I would support either decision. I would probably wish she would take the safe route. But I would definately want her to hear stories from both women who carried and women who aborted. I would want her to hear what went rigth and what went wrong.

Sad that it seems it is easy to support the woman who aborts but if they are considering motherhood, even with risks, some people don't even want them to know it is an option. Not exactly support in my book. It takes more hubris than even Tex to tell someone what they should and should not be informed of in making a medical decision.

Tex, obviously people aren't stupid and can see through the commercial. But why the need for it then? If not to try and influence people because he is a famous football player and all-around good guy, then why is he in the commercial? Do you really think one of the factors one counts in making this decision should be "because Tim Tebow's mother made this choice"? I just really think it is inappropriate. They wouldn't be spending the millions of dollars for the ad if not to try and capitalize on the Tebow's fame and to play on the guilt of people.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Tex, obviously people aren't stupid and can see through the commercial. But why the need for it then? If not to try and influence people because he is a famous football player and all-around good guy, then why is he in the commercial? Do you really think one of the factors one counts in making this decision should be "because Tim Tebow's mother made this choice"? I just really think it is inappropriate. They wouldn't be spending the millions of dollars for the ad if not to try and capitalize on the Tebow's fame and to play on the guilt of people.

If he set the message to music and played it at half time, would that be a problem? The Who may perform a song about dying young, are they just using being a famous musical group to influence your decision? Tebow's message is choose life, the Who will offer the balance, "I hope I die Before I Get Old . . . " When Joe Walsh performs One Day at a Time, a song about his alcoholism, is that wrong? I just want to listen to some music, why should I be exposed to that? Are they using their fame to influence? What's the need? When the NBA started their Stay in School campaign, wasn't that to use their player's fame? How about Reagan and "Just Say No", wasn't that using the office of the President to influence?

To me, using an athlete's fame to sell cigars, alcohol, etc. should be far more upsetting to people than this. Yet, having children watch famous athletes promoting an alcohol product they may or may not have ever tasted, doesn't cause any outrage, but Tebow telling his personal, factual story, is upsetting?

And by seeing through the message, are you saying that every person really should choose death? Why is a message about abortion so easy to support, but choosing life so upsetting to people?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
Well, I'm not going to argue this into the ground. We all have our opinions.

That being said, this isn't a commercial that is similar to any of those you listed. This is a commercial that is attempting to imply that mothers who chose to abort their fetus to avoid significant health risks somehow "took the easy way out," or are baby murderers. It also implies that had these women took their pregnancy to term, they very well might have had the next collegian football star. Instead, they murdered him by taking the "safe" and "ungodly" way out.

I'm not trying to pretend as if Americans can't use this opportunity to take a leak, or turn away from the tv. I understand Americans are smart enough to see through the message. I just think it's in poor taste. I think it's playing on people's guilt and it's inappropriate.

I've said enough on the topic, I think you all know how I feel. No need to continue ranting and raving.

Where have you seen the commercial? I guess I need to see it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Frankly, a huge amount of effort politically has, over the past few years, gone into designing and enacting laws that are either designed because it's believed that's 100% true, or because there's a need for a direct intervention to intimidate people from getting that procedure. The 48 hour waiting periods enacted, the requirements that doctors take certain steps to try to talk the patient out of having an abortion or at least provide often inaccurate information about the other negative health outcomes of having an abortion.

If "not understanding that is an option" is not an issue, then it's straight out intimidation.

Again, we seem to have a huge cheering section for abortion. Yet when someone speaks out against it, the attacks begin. Without even seeing the ad, it is being attacked at every angle. So let's have a pro abortion rally. People counter his commerical with a pro abortion message. Instead of trying to shut down his message, do your own. Get some poor kid with a s***ty life and have him stand there and say, I wish my mom aborted. Show some kid with birth defects and list all the reasons why his, and his mom's life, would be better if she aborted. Talk about how tough it is raising a special needs child and have the mother announce, I wish I never had never carried this fetus to term, and you will too. Show a high school kid who accidentally got pregnant and point out all the advantages of abortion. Show the woman who has had multiple abortions, and how happy she is. There are so many positive abortion stories out there, use them. Don;t like my examples, find a better story. I'll support the message being out there.

The message in American is clear: Tebow stfu about your life. Go peddle beer and people will think you are the coolest :headbang Lend your name to a $300 pair of shoes Whoot Whoot :headbang :headbang But speak out about abortion?? That sucks. You're trying to INFLUENCE PEOPLE.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
Where have you seen the commercial? I guess I need to see it.

I'll predict none of us see it, at least not during the Super Bowl. CBS wouldn't even be considering this if the economy was more robust and the typical Super Bowl sponsors had bought their usual share of ads, and it will likely back down eventually. The family group probably knows this, but for the cost of the ad's production, will have already received invaluable free publicity once the cost of its Super Bowl ad gets refunded, and it then can go on to run the ad more widely on traditionally "neutral" programming for the same cost, but with the pre-packaged buzz of having people already talking about it.

There's just too much precedent against airing issues ads during the Super Bowl, regardess of content, and CBS is usually pretty wimpy. If it does air it, it will likely be a calculated decision to help counter its reputation as perhaps the most leftward-leaning network.

Either way, the marketing people behind this ad are pretty savvy.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Again, we seem to have a huge cheering section for abortion.

You argued that it's impossible to believe that parents don't understand they have options other than abortion. I pointed out that the law in this country has been moving towards acting like some combination of exactly that, and adding in an opportunity for intimidation. Your interpretation of this is that it's cheering in favor of it?

Therefore, not thinking that it's a good thing for people to be lectured against it is a cheering section in favor of it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)

That sounds remarkably like the argument being made against card check.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)
If he set the message to music and played it at half time, would that be a problem? The Who may perform a song about dying young, are they just using being a famous musical group to influence your decision? Tebow's message is choose life, the Who will offer the balance, "I hope I die Before I Get Old . . . " When Joe Walsh performs One Day at a Time, a song about his alcoholism, is that wrong? I just want to listen to some music, why should I be exposed to that? Are they using their fame to influence? What's the need? When the NBA started their Stay in School campaign, wasn't that to use their player's fame? How about Reagan and "Just Say No", wasn't that using the office of the President to influence?

To me, using an athlete's fame to sell cigars, alcohol, etc. should be far more upsetting to people than this. Yet, having children watch famous athletes promoting an alcohol product they may or may not have ever tasted, doesn't cause any outrage, but Tebow telling his personal, factual story, is upsetting?

And by seeing through the message, are you saying that every person really should choose death? Why is a message about abortion so easy to support, but choosing life so upsetting to people?

Tex, I think you are missing my point.

If Tebow came out and said, "Choose Life" and was forward about that message, I honestly would have no problem with it. That is not (apparently) the message the Tebow's are promoting, however. They are arguing for something far more complex, don't you agree? They are saying (apparently) in cases of significant health risks to the pregnant mother, forge ahead and bring the pregnancy to term and have the child. I did, and my son is now a famous amateur football star.

You honestly don't see the distinction?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
Tex, I think you are missing my point.

If Tebow came out and said, "Choose Life" and was forward about that message, I honestly would have no problem with it. That is not (apparently) the message the Tebow's are promoting, however. They are arguing for something far more complex, don't you agree? They are saying (apparently) in cases of significant health risks to the pregnant mother, forge ahead and bring the pregnancy to term and have the child. I did, and my son is now a famous amateur football star.

You honestly don't see the distinction?

Oh honey, just walk away from the dead horse.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
I thought it was dead, too. Then I see that response. :huh

He's just making a run at King of the Kaperbole. These things are best left unresponded to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
It looks to me that the pro-choice lobby sends huge multiples more than the pro-life groups.

In that case, I'm not talking about lobbyists; I'm talking about individual choices, i.e. whether to support unionization, or whether or not to carry a child to term.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
I'm going to help out tex here so he doesn't appear to be arguing against something that doesn't exist:

GOOOO ABORTIONS!

remember the band 'The Goo Goo Dolls'?

i wish they had been aborted.

I AM NOT JOKING

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
remember the band 'The Goo Goo Dolls'?

i wish they had been aborted.

I AM NOT JOKING

[poor taste] You have to wonder if it was the lead singer's mother telling the tebow story if abortions would suddenly rise [/poor taste]

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
You have to wonder if it was the lead singer's mother telling the tebow story if abortions would suddenly rise

well, if anything, it could be a great birth control campaign for overpopulated countries.

JUST SAYING IT COULD BE USEFUL

Balta it is a simple case of free speech. He has a story, they have personal experience, not something made up. You want to restrict that sort of speech. I don't.

Soxy will support a woman's right to an abortion, but not woman's right to talk about what happened to her and the choice she made.

And as I said before, I would be in favor of someone speaking about making the other choice and how it worked out. I suspect there would be ton of support for that message. And if this was set to music, there wouldn't be a problem. Pro sex, drugs, and rock and roll messages :headbang

What should be a heartwarming story of a woman making a decision to carry her baby, and having everything work out, something too sugary for even a Lifetime Original Movie, provokes anger. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Balta it is a simple case of free speech. He has a story, they have personal experience, not something made up. You want to restrict that sort of speech. I don't.

Soxy will support a woman's right to an abortion, but not woman's right to talk about what happened to her and the choice she made.

And as I said before, I would be in favor of someone speaking about making the other choice and how it worked out. I suspect there would be ton of support for that message. And if this was set to music, there wouldn't be a problem. Pro sex, drugs, and rock and roll messages :headbang

What should be a heartwarming story of a woman making a decision to carry her baby, and having everything work out, something too sugary for even a Lifetime Original Movie, provokes anger. :lolhitting

That isn't what I said and you damn well know it. I don't know where you get off--I used to like you. Whatever. Welcome to my "Ignore" list--you've earned it.

And for a psych major you don't know s*** about the group polarization effect.

I guess I missed the support in your posts . . .

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
What's the point? Famous (oft-crying) quarterback tells people not to get an abortion? Oh yeah, that will work. I mean, I for one always base intimate decisions on famous college athletes.

GMAFB, views on abortion aren't going to be changed by this. What a waste of 30 seconds of my life and millions of dollars.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
But it's giving implicit support of his views.

It's like saying, oh hey let's let the Hitler Foundation make a commercial about the clean air act.

Um, no.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
He's just making a run at King of the Kaperbole. These things are best left unresponded to.

yet you did . . .

Tex, not a one person in here has come even close to suggesting that women should not have the right to speak out against abortion. What has been attacked by a few of us is the method of doing so. I can only speak for myself, but my sincere guess is that Soxy would support the message Mrs. Tebow and Tim want to share if they did it in a more responsible and more respectful way than in a television commercial.

In fact, it could be argued that your support of communicating such a message in this manner suggests you actually have less respect for the issue than those of us arguing it has no business being aired as a Super Bowl commercial.