Gordon Beckham, from Third to Second

justBLAZE

Beckham gets ready for second chance

Comments

January 20, 2010

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

Emerging South Side cult hero, several rookie of the year honors, starting major-league third baseman just one year removed from doing keg stands and playing college baseball for Georgia – so excuse Gordon Beckham for trying to play general manager for the day back in early November.

Beckham had been out and about one fall afternoon when he noticed a text from teammate, and good friend, Chris Getz that simply read, “There are rumors that I’m getting traded.’’

» Click to enlarge image

Gordon Beckham is excited to get going this season at his new position, second base.

(AP)

RELATED STORIES

White Sox games will start earlier

“I read it and I was like, ‘What, c’mon,’'' Beckham recalled this week. “I was thinking it was just another one of those wild baseball rumors, so I sent a text back to Chris and told him, ‘Don’t worry. No way that’s happening. You’re too valuable.’ ‘’

Welcome to the show, kid, where at the end of the day it’s big business. The reality of that sometimes feels like a smack, especially when your fantasy football partner is involved, sent to Kansas City in a package that brought Mark Teahen to Chicago. It also brought Beckham a new home.

“I was shocked we had to let Chris go … that was my initial reaction,’’ Beckham continued. “When I got the call from [White Sox GM] Kenny [Williams] that I would be moving from third to second base, well, I knew the deal was official.’’

It’s now three weeks into January.

Beckham’s days of playing GM have long passed. As a matter of fact, the 23-year-old is coming off a week spent in Miami cramming for Second Base 101, working with shortstop Alexei Ramirez, under the tutelage of bench coach Joey Cora.

When the Sox selected the All-American shortstop with the eighth overall pick in the 2008 draft, Williams described him as “a baseball player.’’

In other words, he wouldn’t be defined by one position. That’s why Beckham chuckles with the idea that the Sox are somehow messing with his psyche by first asking a natural shortstop to play third, and then less than a year later moving him to second base.

“People are making a big deal out of it because it is tough to handle for some people at times,’’ Beckham said. “I see no issue with it. To be honest, I don’t think ultimately I was going to be a third baseman. You see those guys hit 30-35 homers a year. I mean I’d like to say I’m capable of that, but realistically it’s more like 20-25. My body type is such that it’s more like that.

“Admittedly, I was shocked when I heard Chris was traded. Now I think about it I’m really glad I’m playing second. It’s a better position for me. And to be honest, I’ll play wherever they need me to play.’’

Cora has already given the thumbs up on the work that Beckham put in last week. Especially after the third day of the three-day voluntary mini-camp.

“I feel like I got where I wanted to be in those three days,’’ Beckham said. “All I need to do at second base is relax. Joey was happy after the third day. He mentioned it was all worth it because of that third day.

“The main thing is the double-play feeds around the bag. Make sure you’re quiet with the feet and always going toward first base on the throws. But you can bet we’ll be out there before every home game doing a lot of early work. I think I should be very good by the time we get to June. I don’t see it being a problem.’’

His swing sure wasn’t.

Beckham, who hit .270 with 14 home runs, 28 doubles and 63 RBI in 103 games, also worked in the cage with hitting coach Greg Walker in Miami.

“Gordon looked like Gordon,’’ Walker said. “His swing is fairly low maintenance. It’s about the mental battle for Gordon. His big challenge now is to move over to second base and understand that mental battle of a long season.’’

A battle Gordon feels he is better equipped to now handle. “You really don’t understand what type of toll it takes on your body until you go through it,’’ Beckham said. “Baseball is 95 percent mental and the battle with me is always mental. If I feel good or trick myself into feeling good, results are usually good. If I’m down or start manifesting that something is wrong, bad things happen. I’m looking forward to the new season.

“Everything is easy right now. It’s the offseason, every player is feeling like they have it figured out this time of year. It’s easy to be relaxed when nothing is on the line. It’s a day-to-day grind and how you handle that grind is the difference between average players and the great players.’’ Even better news for the Sox is not only does Beckham feel he has a better grasp on life in the majors, but he has some motivation. Thank Jake Peavy for that.

Beckham heard what Peavy said in a Sun-Times article last week, in which the hurler insisted, “I’m not in the gym every morning now for the Cy Young. I want what the boys did in 2005. I want that dog pile, that memory, that ring. If you’re not dreaming of that same thing, I question where you are as an athlete.’’

Beckham isn’t just sipping the Kool-Aid, he’s gulping it down. “What I can be upset about last season is that we didn’t make it to the playoffs and didn’t see what we could do on that big stage that comes with the playoffs,’’ Beckham said. “I want to get into the playoffs. That’s the only goal in my mind. You get on that stage it’s anyone’s game. I agree with Peavy, anything less than winning the division and getting to the playoffs is a disappointment. That’s not pressure on us, that’s just a goal.’’

A goal that will have to wait for the time being.

First up for Beckham is playing salesman on Thursday, helping the Sox ticket sales office by making phone calls to Sox fans. “There was no short straw, I volunteered to do this,’’ Beckham said of the annual chore to kick off SoxFest. “I’m looking forward to getting our fans excited to come out. I think this year will be something special.

“Besides, if this baseball thing doesn’t work out maybe I have a future in sales.’’

Between Peavy's comments... Beckham following suit and getting another year under his belt and Alexei and he taking part in a VOLUNTARY camp before spring training I am really liking the attitude this team is taking right now...

they are hungry again, possibly real hungry for the first time since '05.... it could be a special year on the south side once again

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 01:39 AM)
It's crazy to think that the White Sox have a guy like Gordon Beckham on the team.

No kidding, especially since he's homegrown. My brother didn't buy into the hype because he was homegrown, and was mad when I owned a shirt, until he saw Gordon's swing at a game in Oakland. Then seeing him play D at third, my brother agreed he'd be a superstar.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
It's great to see a guy that you know is going to be here for a longtime. He's going to be a figurehead for this team.

The oddest part is it seems like he's been shoved to the side this offseason behind Jones losing wait and Peavy being hungry.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
i can't stand being the same age as awesome accomplished athletes. fugh

I was glad not having to know that, but then Bryce Harper wanted to be born the same week as me.

You have to love all the fluff pieces before SoxFest. But in all seriousness pretty good articles the last couple of days with Peavy and Beckham. Refreshing to see the "winning mentality" that it appears this team and organization has. Granted every team should feel this way, but it doesn't always work out that way. You always knew KW had that mentality but it looks like it trickles down to the team.

Also, just throwing this out there, but maybe this "winning mentality" can help a Rios once he is comfortable. At least to me, it looked like when he got here he was pressing trying to hit a 5-run homer every time he was at the plate. Not that Toronto is a losing situation, but when you get your brains beat in by NYY, BOS and TB 45 times a year that probably makes you a little apathetic towards winning after awhile. Hopefully in our "winning mentality" we can get the most out of Rios because we definitely need him to perform. If Q and Rios struggle....with our current lineup, it could get ugly offensively very quickly.