Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 31, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
For all you apple gurus out there.

Yesterday the lock button on my iPhone 5 stopped working. Not a problem as I have apple care and was going to take it in to get repaired or replaced. Later on I happened to drop my phone and shattered the screen. So it was a rough day for my phone. My question is can I get the phone replaced for free due to the button or since the screen is now shattered am I going to be required to pay the 50 dollars to get the replacement unit?

The 50 dollar replacement co-pay only applies to those with AppleCare+, if you have the basic AppleCare that came with your device, it doesn't cover accidental damage.

iPhone 5's have a recall on some i5 devices for that power button issue (http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/25/iphone...ke-replacement/), so they may fix fix that for free. They can fix your cracked screen and it shouldn't require a complete replacement in the case you don't have AC+.

And finally, in the event they do exchange the phone via AppleCare+, they will probably be giving you a iPhone5c (the colored one), in return for your i5, since they don't make iPhone 5 devices anymore.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:58 AM)
So the Apple conference is today, is it today they announce the new iPhone or just the IOS?

This is usually just developer based things, such as software...OSX Yosemite and iOS8, and I'm sure something on the Beats acquisition, but you never know with Apple, I believe they debuted the new Mac Pro at this conference last year, so hardware announcements aren't out of the question.

iOS 8 gets custom keyboards, sharing between apps, and 3rd party widgets.

Late to the party, but it's good to see Apple bringing in useful features that iOS has lacked and needed for a while.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
iOS 8 gets custom keyboards, sharing between apps, and 3rd party widgets.

Late to the party, but it's good to see Apple bringing in useful features that iOS has lacked and needed for a while.

iOS 8 pretty much fills in the gaps that required jailbreaking, sans a few of the very granular customization abilities afforded by jailbreaking.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
I cant wait to install iOS Android on my iPhone.

I've seen this said by a few people...and you do realize that most of the features they added were available in the jailbreak community long BEFORE they were available on Android, right? Not to mention the ideas that are now a part of base Android that were originally developed by Android users within their hacker community. Can we stop pretending Google invented all of these things, when they've ripped just as many ideas from elsewhere as Apple has, and for that matter, Microsoft has?

To add to this, when someone comes out with an awesome feature, I'd be hard pressed to blame a competitor from copying the idea and implementing it in their own vision, which is what happens in the OS market, and always has, whether it be mobile OS's or desktops. Now, stealing someones source code and re-using it is one thing, but taking an idea and implementing it in your own way is another.

I have no love for software patents, so when these companies steal ideas from each other, as they've been doing since the 80's, I'm all for it. I've always been baffled by people somehow thinking Apple should just never implement any new features because they already exist elsewhere...this has to be the stupidest mentality that I'm aware of, and it exists in excess in the tech community.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
I've seen this said by a few people...and you do realize that most of the features they added were available in the jailbreak community long BEFORE they were available on Android, right? Not to mention the ideas that are now a part of base Android that were originally developed by Android users within their hacker community. Can we stop pretending Google invented all of these things, when they've ripped just as many ideas from elsewhere as Apple has, and for that matter, Microsoft has?

To add to this, when someone comes out with an awesome feature, I'd be hard pressed to blame a competitor from copying the idea and implementing it in their own vision, which is what happens in the OS market, and always has, whether it be mobile OS's or desktops. Now, stealing someones source code and re-using it is one thing, but taking an idea and implementing it in your own way is another.

I have no love for software patents, so when these companies steal ideas from each other, as they've been doing since the 80's, I'm all for it. I've always been baffled by people somehow thinking Apple should just never implement any new features because they already exist elsewhere...this has to be the stupidest mentality that I'm aware of, and it exists in excess in the tech community.

Revolutionary.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
The 50 dollar replacement co-pay only applies to those with AppleCare+, if you have the basic AppleCare that came with your device, it doesn't cover accidental damage.

iPhone 5's have a recall on some i5 devices for that power button issue (http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/25/iphone...ke-replacement/), so they may fix fix that for free. They can fix your cracked screen and it shouldn't require a complete replacement in the case you don't have AC.

And finally, in the event they do exchange the phone via AppleCare+, they will probably be giving you a iPhone5c (the colored one), in return for your i5, since they don't make iPhone 5 devices anymore.

I have AppleCare+.

Guy said that with the broken screen they had to charge me for the accidental damage, but I did get another iPhone 5. I would have been pissed if they gave me a 5c.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
I have AppleCare+.

Guy said that with the broken screen they had to charge me for the accidental damage, but I did get another iPhone 5. I would have been pissed if they gave me a 5c.

Nice, I think someone here did this and they have him a 5c since they had no more 5's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:04 AM)
I did. Pretty decent upgrade other than the fact it's a color back.

The 5c is actually a better phone spec wise, larger battery and a few other enhancements, but the 5 is metal.

I'm having the most first-world problem...

I'm pretty sure my HTC One is water damaged and bricked. In this case, my dad is happy to use his upgrade to get himself a One M8 and give me his old iPhone 5.

...and good god do I not want to use an iPhone. The daily frustrations will kill me. But I can't turn it down, for now. Bleck

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)

I'm pretty sure my HTC One is water damaged and bricked. In this case, my dad is happy to use his upgrade to get himself a One M8 and give me his old iPhone 5.

...and good god do I not want to use an iPhone. The daily frustrations will kill me. But I can't turn it down, for now. Bleck

Just get a go-phone instead. :lol:

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 05:02 PM)

Something similar happened to me recently.

My Nexus 5's power button decided to go crazy, turning it on and off constantly. Unfortunately, I had no backup phone as I had sold all of mine. I bought a Moto X off Amazon for $340. Then Motorola had a 32 GB Moto X for $385 that I could customize and I decided I'll buy that and return the phone I got off Amazon. A day later, I contacted Google about the issue and they replaced my Nexus 5. So now I have too many phones...

But a serious alternative, if you can spend around $350, is to buy a Moto X. It's a good phone with a few drawbacks (the camera is horrendous and the AMOLED screen sucks in bright conditions), but it's pretty much stock Android and you get great features like Touchless Controls and Active Notifications. And unlike the OnePlus One, you can actually buy one. Of course, the other alternative is a Nexus 5 or even a Moto G (Moto X without Active Notifications or Touchless Controls).

They did just release a Moto G with LTE and a micro SD slot for $220 on Amazon, that's pretty enticing.

I am using a $30 Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rise that's running Android 4.0.4 ICS while I price some repairs. I think a place nearby might be able to fix my One for $60. If it costs much more than that, I'll probably opt for a Moto G w/ LTE as it's really plenty of phone.

I'm pretty impressed with how this POS Kyocera Rise works. I can get a somewhat comparable experience on this device thanks to the openness of Android and the Google connection. The fact that so many of the integral system apps are updated through the Play Store makes the 4.0.4 vs 4.4.2 OS difference between this and my old phone rather trifling. I didn't think I'd be able to use Hangouts, Play Music, or the newest versions of apps like Gmail and Maps. There are nuances and a few key things like Google Now missing, but it's pretty cool that a bottom of the barrel device like this can be pretty damn useful.

Also, re: WWDC.

Something I saw mentioned a while after the fact that could be a big problem.

We're assuming the iPhone 6 will be a significant size increase - I think I saw reports of 4.7" screens being manufactured. Between TouchID and the fact that iOS 8 shows no signs of on-screen navigation buttons, we're talking about a device with that big physical home button being huge relative to screen size. It could rival the LG G3 in footprint while still having a smaller screen than all competitors.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Also, re: WWDC.

Something I saw mentioned a while after the fact that could be a big problem.

We're assuming the iPhone 6 will be a significant size increase - I think I saw reports of 4.7" screens being manufactured. Between TouchID and the fact that iOS 8 shows no signs of on-screen navigation buttons, we're talking about a device with that big physical home button being huge relative to screen size. It could rival the LG G3 in footprint while still having a smaller screen than all competitors.

I'm sure Apple has thought of this, they're the one company that doesn't like wasting space in their increasingly tiny designs. And TouchID is really awesome, especially now that it's opened to 3rd parties.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)
I found a 256GB Samsung SSD on Amazon for $114 ($100 off).

You should post links here when you find really amazing deals on hardware/software.