Royals Scout offers reports on Sox prospects

ChiliIrishHammock24

So I was talking to a Royals professional scout online, and he gave me some feedback on a few of the Sox top prospects....

I see him as a guy who is a very good hitter and may hit close to .300 with 15 dingers. He has average tools across the board but not considered a five tool guy. Its contradictory, but average to fringe average are two different things.

Jared Mitchell, OF Chicago White Sox (Potential B )

CF, but may eventually move to LF

Leadoff man

Plus-plus speed

patient hitter = good discipline, ability to draw walks, however he takes hittable pitches in order to try and get into hitters counts.

Range - covers the field almost perfectly

Arm - only below average tool

My Scouting Report

Speed - 70

Bat - 55 now, 60 future projection

Power - 55 "

Arm - 50

Fielding - 70

Side note: Mitchell is in the mold of Carl Crawford.

*these statistics are based on the traditional 20-80 scouting scale. I generally rate my player based on my scouting report.

ordan Danks, OF Chicago White Sox (Potential B )

* I like Danks as a solid #2 hitter in the CHW lineup as soon as this season. He never developed the power he was supposed to, but I am convinced he will provide an average of 10-15 homers and may top 20 with enough experience at the MLB level.

Report:

Speed - 55

Arm - 55

Bat - 55

Power - 50

Fielding - 60

Trayce Thompson, OF Chicago White Sox (Potential B, possible A)

* Trayce is an absolute beast! I got to see him quite frequently as he is in my area. This kid has all the potential in the world and the tools to make him a high-risk/high-reward superstar.

Current CF, but may move to RF in the future.

Arm - above average

Speed - "

Range - covers a lot of ground

Base running - raw and needs to work on getting better jumps.

Power - this kid hits the ball a looooong way! 30 HR + when fully developed.

Report: future projection on Thompson because of his age.

Arm - 60

Speed - 55

Power - 55 now, 65 future projection

Fielding - 55

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

(OF Trayce Thompson)

Trayce Thompson, OF Chicago White Sox (Potential B, possible A)

* Trayce is an absolute beast! I got to see him quite frequently as he is in my area. This kid has all the potential in the world and the tools to make him a high-risk/high-reward superstar.

Current CF, but may move to RF in the future.

Arm - above average

Speed - "

Range - covers a lot of ground

Base running - raw and needs to work on getting better jumps.

Power - this kid hits the ball a looooong way! 30 HR + when fully developed.

Report: future projection on Thompson because of his age.

Arm - 60

Speed - 55

Power - 55 now, 65 future projection

Fielding - 55

He's the guy I'm most excited about and like I said before.. has the most potential of any player currently in our system. I'm talking superstar potential if he puts every damn thing together.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
He's the guy I'm most excited about and like I said before.. has the most potential of any player currently in our system. I'm talking superstar potential if he puts every damn thing together.

I didn't realize that Thompson was such a power stud. I completely assumed he was just a speed guy with no power, like a Tavaras type player. I didn't realize he is more Soriano like.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
Danks as a solid #2 hitter as soon as this season? Me think not.

Danks will move faster than his 2009 averages suggest.

He was absolutely on fire (at two different levels) until he got hurt. The end of the minor league season was a total writeoff for him. Then, the AFL showed what he could do when healthy.

He's got the tools to play MLB now. But he needs to work on his batting eye (reduce the K's). And I think it would a mistake to rush him and risk screwing him up mentally at the plate.

If he shows improvement in plate discipline, he'll be in Chicago next year.

Edited by scenario

None of the baseball writers (Law, Sickels) have ever written positive things about either Danks brother. When Jordan was 17 and played in the AFLAC All-American game, he was excluded from the homerun derby because the players were pre-selected for that (Upton, Maybin). Danks sr threw a fit and got him in. Jordan won the thing handily (Upton never even made one HR) and was awarded trophy by Cal Ripkin Jr. It pissed off the powers that be to be shown up...and theyve never been on his side. Thats fact.

UT didn't have anyone that could lead off and they put Danks there, even tho hed never led off. He leads or is in top 5 of several all time catagories, with only a couple errors in a 3 year career there. Law is an idiot. Jordan may not be in Chicago this year, but hes no worse than alot of players that have donned the uniform. Players like P Alvarez keep getting the hype...even after terrible years in A ball. Just the way its always been.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
I know 60 is a good review, but I can't believe Danks is only a 60 in fielding. I absolutely loved him in CF when I saw him when he was playing for Texas. Maybe he just had a great weekend, but he was all over the place.

I definitely thought Jordan was a solid defender from what I saw of him. He had to cover a lot of ground at Regions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
If Danks doesn't hit 30 HR...then the only way he'll ever being a starter big leagues is if he cuts down on the strikeouts by like 33% or more. Otherwise he'll be hitting .250 or below with 10-15 HR's.

True, but I think he'll have a break out year this year as long as he stays healthy.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
True, but I think he'll have a break out year this year as long as he stays healthy.

His minor league numbers will look great if he's healthy, I'm confident in that. The issue will be the transition to the big leagues for him. Big league pitchers may well destroy him if he can't make more contact.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
If Danks doesn't hit 30 HR...then the only way he'll ever being a starter big leagues is if he cuts down on the strikeouts by like 33% or more. Otherwise he'll be hitting .250 or below with 10-15 HR's.

See Anderson, Brian.

I like Danks' swing (even though it's big) a lot more though.

They're both big/rangy athletic outfielders...and I think Jordan definitely has a bit more explosiveness or speed in terms of stealing bases, too. Brian was quick and very fast once he got going because of his strides, but not what you'd call a "burner" either.

You still have to assume it's going to be difficult to have Danks and Mitchell in the OF at the same time unless both develop 18-24+ homer power or Mitchell learns how to steal 50+ bags per season. Seems he's pretty raw in that aspect of his game at this point.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
I know 60 is a good review, but I can't believe Danks is only a 60 in fielding. I absolutely loved him in CF when I saw him when he was playing for Texas. Maybe he just had a great weekend, but he was all over the place.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
I definitely thought Jordan was a solid defender from what I saw of him. He had to cover a lot of ground at Regions.

Having not seen him play much at all, I have to defer to those that have. From everything I've been told, he's a really smooth fielder and effortless. I was told by one guy that he'll make people forget about Anderson's skills, who as we know, is an excellent fielder. Let's hope he can hit a little.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
You still have to assume it's going to be difficult to have Danks and Mitchell in the OF at the same time unless both develop 18-24+ homer power or Mitchell learns how to steal 50+ bags per season. Seems he's pretty raw in that aspect of his game at this point.

And the fact that you'd have to make Quentin a DH or try and trade Rios.

But I'd enjoy an OF of Mitchell-D2-Rios with Q at DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)

Mitchell has one big thing going for him that D2 so far doesn't have; he's a big time OBP guy. He can take a walk like nobody's business, which is why all the prospect magazines love him so much. No one really cares if you're hitting .250 in the leadoff spot if you've got a .380 OBP because you're taking a ton of walks, you're working the count every time, you're in position to steal 30+ bases, and you hit 25 HR as well.