Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
This election will be won and lost on the economy.

Which will really help Perry, Texas has done very well, thank you, during this economic downturn. I really do see him accepting the nomination. And I believe he could make a good, one term, President.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
Which will really help Perry, Texas has done very well, thank you, during this economic downturn. I really do see him accepting the nomination. And I believe he could make a good, one term, President.

It has? Didn't they have a massive budget deficit (partly due to tax cuts!) that was "fixed" by massive cuts in spending, including education, and shuffling the numbers in the books?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
It has? Didn't they have a massive budget deficit (partly due to tax cuts!) that was "fixed" by massive cuts in spending, including education, and shuffling the numbers in the books?

Texas's unemployment is just under 8%, well under the national level. Texas was barely touched by the housing bubble, because Texas's state government had some of the nation's strongest regulations for banks giving out mortgages (process that for a second). Also, Texas does still produce a substantial amount of energy resources and is home to many energy companies, and they've been doing quite nicely for themselves.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)

You mean didn't Texas cut taxes *and* spending? Yes. Both make him a darling of conservatives.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Texas's unemployment is just under 8%, well under the national level.

It's all those damn illegals sneaking in across the border.

I've been pretty consistent through the years that I like balanced budgets. I'll take tax and spend or don't tax and don't spend, but the past thirty years of don't tax and spend, spend, spend, is not a path we should be on. I don't think Perry is as bad as Kap and some of the "party elites" seem to think. I believe he has a serious chance at the nomination. When the worst thing the Dems are throwing is his secession comment, well that tells me a lot. Presidents have been elected with more baggage than Perry. In a race against Obama, I'll be punching the incumbent's lever.

And as for any confusion, believing he can, or will, take the nomination is far different than supporting him. The sarcastic side of me has Palin in the GOP discussions. The serious side has Perry.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
I've been pretty consistent through the years that I like balanced budgets. I'll take tax and spend or don't tax and don't spend, but the past thirty years of don't tax and spend, spend, spend, is not a path we should be on. I don't think Perry is as bad as Kap and some of the "party elites" seem to think. I believe he has a serious chance at the nomination. When the worst thing the Dems are throwing is his secession comment, well that tells me a lot. Presidents have been elected with more baggage than Perry. In a race against Obama, I'll be punching the incumbent's lever.

And as for any confusion, believing he can, or will, take the nomination is far different than supporting him. The sarcastic side of me has Palin in the GOP discussions. The serious side has Perry.

Do you really think that's the worst we'd throw at him if we really tried?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
Do you really think that's the worst we'd throw at him if we really tried?

Unless you start making up stuff swift boat boy

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
Unless you start making up stuff swift boat boy

I think lecturing the country about your balanced budget and the evils of deficit spending when your budget is only balanced because of the stimulus is a pretty good policy point for starters.

As I noted previously, I think opposig government regulation when regulation saved Texas from a housing bubble is missing the point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
I think lecturing the country about your balanced budget and the evils of deficit spending when your budget is only balanced because of the stimulus is a pretty good policy point for starters.

As I noted previously, I think opposig government regulation when regulation saved Texas from a housing bubble is missing the point.

Using available resources to balance the budget is my preference to deficit spending like most other states. or raising taxes. How many other states received stimulus money?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)

There's also the whole "refused to review the conviction of a man sentenced to death despite a whole bunch of expert opinion that it was bulls*** because it would make Perry look bad"

And cutting education when your state already is pretty horrible in education.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 06:50 AM)
There's also the whole "refused to review the conviction of a man sentenced to death despite a whole bunch of expert opinion that it was bulls*** because it would make Perry look bad"

And cutting education when your state already is pretty horrible in education.

Conservatives love the tough on crime death penalty. It's a deterrent and all that. Perry believed in the sanctity of the legal process and the jury that convicted the man. If you don't believe in our legal process maybe you're one of those commie liberals. All those criminals, those murders who chose to attack our values and our people, who were put to death in Texas will only help him with conservatives across the US. Maybe you want some activist judge (he's kind of the final judge in this) who will overturn the work of a lot of people, but conservatives want judges that will just uphold the law. And that's what Perry did.

With many conservatives, money is not the answer to education. Standardized tests and better teachers are the answer. They believe there is a ton of waste, too many administrators, etc. So losing that money will not make much of a difference. Besides it was Dem lawmakers who earlier had chosen to stop some federal funds from going to Texas because they wanted Perry to violate the state Constitution.

You have to find things that conservatives will not like, and he's got solid conservative values. Perhaps they can paint him as a flip flopper from his Dem days, but I think that will be easily explained by the Dem party left him when they started catering to the far left extremists in the party.

Of course I would agree that the two things you mentioned will hurt him with Dems. I can see calling him a murderer would be the hyperbole answer to the Willingham case. I'm not certain education will stick. People like lower taxes and he cut spending instead of lowering taxes. I'm even going to bet that he'll have some stat showing Texas spends over the national average based on something else. There are plenty of things not to like. But the rest of the country will be seeing someone we'll have a hard time recognizing once he officially runs.

Still "thinking about" running, Perry recently invited the nation's governors to join him at "a day of prayer and fasting on behalf of our troubled nation" on Aug. 6 at Houston's Reliant Stadium, setting off sirens among those looking for signs that the governor's got an eye on his right flank. Perry has said he'll fast the day of the event, called The Response, and has invited attendees to do the same.

Attention, though, has turned to the event's sponsor, the American Family Association, a prominent anti-gay group whose president, Tim Wildmon, told the Trib that Jews, Muslims, atheists and all other non-Christians would "go to hell" unless they accepted Jesus Christ as their savior. One of the group's directors, Bryan Fischer, has also drawn attention for making controversial statements in recent years about Islam, black women and the Holocaust, which he has blamed on gays in the military.

Link

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
As it is for any of the other religions mentioned in that story.

Jews do not have a hell.

But my point wasn't to attack Christianity, but to point out that this statement doesn't represent some sort of fanatical cult ideology but it a widely held belief in this country. I have philosophical problems with that belief, so I can understand how that could come across.

Here's the wiki that describes all sorts of "hells" for various religion. I believe the balance do not envision hell as a place of suffering and punishment for sins, at least eternally. I think Christianity and Islam are pretty unique in that view.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Jews do not have a hell.

But my point wasn't to attack Christianity, but to point out that this statement doesn't represent some sort of fanatical cult ideology but it a widely held belief in this country. I have philosophical problems with that belief, so I can understand how that could come across.

Here's the wiki that describes all sorts of "hells" for various religion. I believe the balance do not envision hell as a place of suffering and punishment for sins, at least eternally. I think Christianity and Islam are pretty unique in that view.

Which highlights the differences. If you do not believe in a hell and I believe in one, *and* I think you are going to hell unless you perform some ritual, ceremony, etc. I believe I am doing you a great service by witnessing to you and saving you from hell. You on the other hand, are annoyed because you do not believe in hell, and probably do not believe that even if there was one, that you were going. But despite that, Rick Perry feels your pain, and will risk annoying you so that you will not go to hell. He's a great guy that way. Enjoy.