Republican 2012 Nomination Thread

Texsox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 4, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
Rex, you are far smarter than this. OK, you take him seriously.

All I'm saying is that if my governor went to my political event and said things supportive of what I support... and used extreme language to do it, and then the next day said - oh I didn't mean it, I'd feel pretty personally insulted.

Sorta like when my state senator decided to vote against marriage equality and then introduced a resolution a month later encouraging a DADT repeal because lots of folks in her district that would have voted for her are looking to primary her ass.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
All I'm saying is that if my governor went to my political event and said things supportive of what I support... and used extreme language to do it, and then the next day said - oh I didn't mean it, I'd feel pretty personally insulted.

Sorta like when my state senator decided to vote against marriage equality and then introduced a resolution a month later encouraging a DADT repeal because lots of folks in her district that would have voted for her are looking to primary her ass.

I'm not certain anyone at that event supported secession. If any did, they were in the extreme minority. The tax stuff, the anti-Washington stuff, that was all real and pretty accurate. Did he use an extreme example to discuss that Texas pays way to much in Federal taxes? Sure. I guess I seriously under-counted the numbers of people who felt that Perry was calling Texas to secede from the Union. I thought only some real goofballs would have thought he meant to literally secede.

I'm surprised, since it was so easy to take him seriously, then that none of his opponents, Rep or Dem, have called him out on this.

do you think that Rick Perry, or the 20% odd percentage of the GOP voters who want to secede from the US knows that they can't secede?

In deciding the merits of the bond issue, the Supreme Court further held that the Constitution did not permit states to secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
do you think that Rick Perry, or the 20% odd percentage of the GOP voters who want to secede from the US knows that they can't secede?

In deciding the merits of the bond issue, the Supreme Court further held that the Constitution did not permit states to secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".

The difference with Texas' ordinance is that it was included as a condition of entering the Union. Texas was an Independent Country, fully recognized by the US as a Independent Country. As with all matters like this, it would take an actual court case, to determine if it would be legal. And really, Perry was not serious and 20% of GOP voters really do not want to secede.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
And the court has already ruled on this issue - Texas cannot secede. That loophole was closed after the civil war.

As they have on capital punishment, separate but equal, abortion, . . .

You forgot to take a shot at activist judges, you are turning into a lib after only one day in Canada!

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
As they have on capital punishment, separate but equal, abortion, . . .

You forgot to take a shot at activist judges, you are turning into a lib after only one day in Canada!

There's no logic in your argument. The "legal right to secede" as Texans like to claim is false under current law. Now, if Texas wants to break the laws of the United States, I guess they're free to do so.

Next.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
There's no logic in your argument. The "legal right to secede" as Texans like to claim is false under current law. Now, if Texas wants to break the laws of the United States, I guess they're free to do so.

Next.

I know it ain't going to happen, it's silly to even discuss.

But you know them activist judges, they could just say f*** the law and make up a new one like they always do.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 13, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)

Next.

I used to keep the link that Soxbadger posted that showed the Supreme Court ruling saying this to show people. The answer is usually "do you really think we would listen to the Supreme Court if it came to that" well yeah, but you can use that logic to justify breaking any law if you wanted I guess.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
I used to keep the link that Soxbadger posted that showed the Supreme Court ruling saying this to show people. The answer is usually "do you really think we would listen to the Supreme Court if it came to that" well yeah, but you can use that logic to justify breaking any law if you wanted I guess.

How can anyone take this seriously? A state is not going to leave the union.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
/shrug

I don't know, you have to ask the 25% of Texans that would support it

LOL not certain where you got that number, but I don't know anyone that would seriously support it. Now I would be with the 87% who support the proposal to give everyone $3,000 in direct stimulus money.

Y'all need to look up sarcasm and false bravado. Texans are a proud bunch and pretty independent. You may hear that sort of bragging, but it is about as serious as saying you'd move out of the country if "fill in the blank" is elected President.

• 8 months later...
QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
Perry begins his run for the Presidency today. :usa

I believe the GOP will quietly groom Marco Rubio for a Presidential run instead of your guy from Texas. After his victory today, he will rise like Obama did in popularity. Dems got the first black president, GOP may have the first hispanic president.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
I believe the GOP will quietly groom Marco Rubio for a Presidential run instead of your guy from Texas. After his victory today, he will rise like Obama did in popularity. Dems got the first black president, GOP may have the first hispanic president.

I dunno, he would basically need to start running now, meaning he'd never really be much of a Senator. 2016 would make more sense, assuming a second Obama term.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
I dunno, he would basically need to start running now, meaning he'd never really be much of a Senator. 2016 would make more sense, assuming a second Obama term.

Kinda like Obama?

Although yeah, I would like for him to wait his turn, but not waiting behind Obama. As far as a Repub that may contest in 2012, I hope to god it isn't Palin or Huckabee. I would prefer Pawlenty, however you spell it. Or give me the fatman from Jersey. He would bring some fiscal smackdown to the office, for sure.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Kinda like Obama?

Although yeah, I would like for him to wait his turn, but not waiting behind Obama. As far as a Repub that may contest in 2012, I hope to god it isn't Palin or Huckabee. I would prefer Pawlenty, however you spell it. Or give me the fatman from Jersey. He would bring some fiscal smackdown to the office, for sure.

Obama had 2 years under his belt before he ran. The problem with Marco Rubio is that campaigning for the 2012 presidential election basically starts in January/Feb of next year. He's have to be in office one day, then start gearing up fro the presidential primaries.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Kinda like Obama?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
Obama had 2 years under his belt before he ran. The problem with Marco Rubio is that campaigning for the 2012 presidential election basically starts in January/Feb of next year. He's have to be in office one day, then start gearing up fro the presidential primaries.

Exactly. Obama announced his campaign in February 2007. Obama's time as a dedicated Senator was short, but it was at least a couple of years. Rubio would have a month.

edit: not saying I doubt a Rubio run because a lack of Federal experience, just that the timing wouldn't exactly line up.

It'll be interesting/incredibly painful to watch what happens in the Republican primaries. Just going on this election, we'll probably see the more sane part of the GOP start to coalesce around one candidate with the Tea Party people (Palin Beck etc.) supporting another. Ultimately, only one will get the nomination and it'd be interesting to see what the Palin crowd would do if it wasn't their person.

Edited by StrangeSox